Breaking News: Linden Lab Dumps Viewer 2!

LiveReport

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Tristizia Demonista wrote:

As was mentioned MANY times, the UI is a matter of personal taste (and perhaps what you do in SL).

You might not like it, but there are ppl who do (me for example).
:)

I think you doth protest too much.

No one is taking your beloved v2 away from you. (Notwithstanding the fact that most people don't use it) LL has watsed over 2 million dollars on the development of that mess and are in way too deep to ever think of changing course. They'll continue to flog it until at some point it will have most of the usability of the 1.x viewers that haven't been actively touched for 2 years.

As far as v3 goes, this is just a naming scheme. It's still v2; same kludgy UI, same bugs, same everything. Just a "new" name. How they truly consider v3 a major version upgrade from 2.8x I don't know but, LL seems to only follow standards and conventions when it suits them and ignores them when it doesn't.

You're right :) Although it's not my "beloved", i just can do my stuff easier with it.

But it would be a really cool idea (as others allready mentioned), if LL would gives us a choice. A customizable UI or something.

I use Starlight Skins, which is allready a modified UI, so it can't be that hard for LL to do something alike, i guess. 

I would just like to see them take care of these annoying new bugs that crept in lately, after that, they should take care of the UI. :) 

the UI of V2 is just fine, i can do everything with it, i walk, i teleport, i chat in IM, i create prims and texture them, listen to music, open my inventory...

all the functions are there.

the only problem is the user, who is not used to.

we will be in viewer 5 and some users will still use V1, its ok, if some people still want to use windows 3.1, is their choice.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

the UI of V2 is just fine, i can do everything with it, i walk, i teleport, i chat in IM, i create prims and texture them, listen to music, open my inventory...

the only problem is the user, who is
not used to

we will be in viewer 5 and some users will still use V1, its ok, if some people still want to use windows 3.1, is their choice.

Swell. Great for you. Oh btw, a well-designed and thought out UI shouldn't completely break from what came before and force the user with years of experience and muscle memory to radically change their workflow and lose productivity in order to adapt to it. It should be the other way around. The UI should be flexible enough to accomodate many use cases. Jeez, even the Snowstorm project lead at the time admitted that LL made major mistakes in the development of v2. Maybe you should watch the vid from SLCC 10 where Esbee and Q Linden both said this.

Why do you bother responding to every one of these threads anyway? If you don't care about us who despise v2 move along and enjoy the paradise that is your SL. Those of us who have legitimate and quantifiable issues with v2 or any other boneheaded LL decision will keep speaking out.

ripped from New world notes

Thanks to reader Nyoko Salome for the catch!

Linden Lab Debuts Mandatory SL Viewer 3 Beta With Mesh

**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://nwn.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341bf74053ef015390a629d2970b-800wi" border="0" alt="SL Viewer 3" title="SL Viewer 3" />

The Second Life Viewer 2 era is over: Second Life Beta Viewer 3.0 is not only here, but it's available as a mandatory download when you launch the current viewer. You can read the release notes here, but really, the only major feature is integration of mesh. As the notes say:

Mesh is a new capability that allows polygonal models (meshes) that were created in external applications to be imported into Second Life. Mesh models are in COLLADA (.dae) format, similar to those used to create models for video games, films, and animation.

In other words, 10 years to the month after Second Life launched as a prim-based creation platform, SL has joined 3D's modern era of mesh. I get the feeling Linden CEO Rod Humble's SLCC talk tomorrow will be pretty interesting, don't you?

Keli Kyrie wrote:

LiveReport wrote:

That is right in the very near future Viewer 2 will be a thing of the past. The new 
 rolled out on August 5th is
So all of you that were hoping for an end to Viewer 2 development have your wish. :smileysurprised:

But are you ready for Viewer 3?

Mesh is going to change everything isn't it? I wonder if they need a new logo?

SLv3.png

I swear I saw this eye on NCIS marathon this week. :smileysurprised:

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Canoro Philipp wrote:

not used to

Swell. Great for you. Oh btw, a well-designed and thought out UI shouldn't completely break from what came before and force the user with years of experience and muscle memory to radically change their workflow and lose productivity in order to adapt to it. It should be the other way around. The UI should be flexible enough to accomodate many use cases. Jeez, even the Snowstorm project lead at the time admitted that LL made major mistakes in the development of v2. Maybe you should watch the vid from SLCC 10 where Esbee and Q Linden both said this.

Why do you bother responding to every one of these threads anyway? If you don't care about us who despise v2 move along and enjoy the paradise that is your SL. Those of us who have legitimate and quantifiable issues with v2 or any other boneheaded LL decision will keep speaking out.

I hopefully misunderstand you here, but basically what you saying is, it's ok to speak against everything i dislike, but if i like something, for example the UI, i have to keep quiet ? 

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Canoro Philipp wrote:

not used to

Swell. Great for you. Oh btw, a well-designed and thought out UI shouldn't completely break from what came before and force the user with years of experience and muscle memory to radically change their workflow and lose productivity in order to adapt to it. It should be the other way around. 

In what sense, unless you're making clothes, does the UI radically change your workflow other than when you're setting a lot of different  permissions?    I spend most of my time in SL scripting (primarily) and building, and didn't find things had changed a great deal when I switched to V2.    I agree they missed an opportunity to adopt some of the enhanced building tools from the TPVs, which I am told is primarily an issue with various open source licences, but I don't think things changed much from the official viewer, did they?   

Admittedly I've used the Starlight skins for most of the time I've been using V2, so maybe things are different in the unchanged version -- can't recall.   But my overall impression was that, while things took a bit of getting used to, I found myself on reassuringly familiar territory with scripting and building.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.