Boat behaviour

Carbon Philter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all.

Is there anyone here fully conversant with the complexities of vehicle parameters/flags, who could offer some advice about scripting a boat?

I've got almost everything working as I want with the exception of the bow of the boat lifting out of the water as its speed increases.

It must be possible to simulate somehow as the Flying Tako sailing scripts by Mothgirl Dibou allow planing but the scripts are no-mod and I have little idea whether it involves serious physics and calculations or can be readily achieved.

Can someone knowledgeable please confirm firstly if this is actually possible in a relatively simple way, as to my mind it means that the root prim, which needs setting to 0 rotation for the script to work correctly, would rotate away from 0,0,0.

I've waded my way through the Wiki vehicle tutorial but some of the terminology is hard going for a non-scientific mind. Would the llSetVehicleRotationParam(VEHICLE_REFERENCE_FRAME, rot) parameter be the thing I should be looking at or something to do with the Vertical Attractor settings?

Any assistance or a snippet example of how to fo about making my boat that bit more realistic would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Carbon

Thanks, Void.

Not wishing to sound ungrateful but could you add a little by way of expalanation - I'm not so far along the LSL learning curve as others here and hoped for a bit more in the way of clarification. I don't understand how hover affects whether the front end of the boat is up from level - I see how it affects the level at which the vehicle rides, over water, land, or global.

And does your flags reference mean these are switched on or off?

:)

Carbon

those flags MUST be set to TRUE... both prevent changes in elevation due to movement. the first from bumping, the second from the motor facing. may want to add ignore terrain to that list also as true.

the hover params also affect how well the item stays at it's set height.

i''d also avoid mixed banking to start with, although I've seen at least on person get it working rightright.

Just an update for anyone who might have an interest - I got the boat working as I wanted.

It involved specifying differing variables for the rotation I wanted and using the llSetVehicleRotationParam(VEHICLE_REFERENCE_FRAME, rot) to call the desired rotation dependant on the accelerator settings.

I haven't seen any problems so far so fingers crossed it stays good.

Another step on the road to scripting competence.

Thanks again for the assistance, Void and Taeas.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.