Do you own/rent land?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering who actually owns or rents land.  If possible itd be great if you could specify what its for (shop, personal, building/experiments, etc).

I currently don't have any land but I have in the past for shops and such, but never for personal use. 

I own a tiny bit of everything. (^_^)

I still have the first parcel I bought.  It's a 512m with my store.  My home location has been set to it since 2008. (^_^)

I have one private sim and a homestead.  The sim is a home, sandbox, showcase, and I offer some places to rent stores and residential.  @2000m I have a portion of Privateer Space rezzed and @3000m I have an attempt at re-assembling Slum City. (^_^)

The homestead is 100% rental and managed by a friend. (^_^)

More recently I got a 1/8 sim in Zindra were I built a club with a 'bring your own stream' DJ controller.  I've been meaning to plan events there, but, my plate has a bad habit of being full... (._.)

I have a roadside PG 512m parcel as a remote version of my store for General sim searching. (^_^)

And finally, I have a couple parcels in Brown. It's a really classic sim and one of Linden Lab's early attempts at land zoning.  I'm 50% done with the house I'll be placing there, but, may hold the project for mesh... Given, I know how to have some pretty epic prim savings. =^-^=

... Not sure ~why~ I have all this land, though.  I'm just a glut. (^_^)y

I rent a homestead ,i have my shop 3500ft up and the land itself is private with security orbs that eject anyone who ventures down.

I did used to rent land elsewhere for the shop but it was a waste of money, but i did it mainly because we wanted to keep our home private,then we decided to put the shop 3500 ft up and have privacy too down below.

It has worked out well

I have a 4096 parcel for residential use.  Although I change it frequently, right now I have a garden on the beach, a building platform at 400 meters and a skybox at 4000 meters.  I go back and forth about keeping it because I am not in world as much as I once was, but I REALLY miss having a place to tinker and build when I have the time.

However, as someone above said, I'll never look for a larger space.  It's plenty for me.

I would like to but no. I bought my 512 of course = no tier payment for *scoffs FREE. Thats about as much sense as "land" makes.

The whole Tier payment pyramid thing is one of extreme fantasy as far as I am concerned. It is what spoils and restricts SL to a small userbase imho. Of all the *fantasy in SL? tier payment is the best one.

I still feel the disgust I did as a newby when I first enquired about land. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

It is that same feeling that makes me blase' about further product developments or upgrades to existing ones. Initially the theory was develop products, make money get land, but after the Apez vendor debacle/scam Why bother? I rented 6 little shops once, now I just use the marketplace.

I started owning land in early 2007.  But owning for me was sentenced for life on Mainland. And Mainland turned out to be something fun to explore and then get the 'beep' out of there. So for some years now i started to rent  sims with my best (RL) friend. We just moved to a homestead simply because we want to keep things within the reach of our pockets. One major reason to rent a sim is to be assured we don't end up with nice neighbors with 300 ^%^^%%%$$ (not so nice) breedables!

I own a few full region sims and well if you see my signature in this post then you can pretty much guess what most of it is for. I use most of the land I own to run a small estate business in SL. I really do it for the pure enjoyment of it and the great opportunity it gives me to interact with people from all different backgrounds and cultures. I'm different then most though because I don't view my renter's as just customers/tenants I view them as friends with almost all of them listed in my friends list and many I speak with daily.

I currently own almost 3600sqm on a corner of a mainland sim (two sides are water) and a 512sqm with a Linden home.  I use the larger parcel as my home and the 512 as an escape when the sim on which my home sits is being restarted.  I do not own any businesses but I used to own a sim and used 1/8 of it for the modeling agency I owned with a colleague.

I have owned Estate parcels (small islands) in the past as well.  I just like the idea of having a home base where I can chill, watch boats pass by, and do stuff in my browser windows.

I rent on a private region, and have done for years. I like it. I have a reliable landlord who's been around forever and shows no sign of stopping. The cost for me is lower than tier, I have full control of my land, I can upsize or downsize whenever I need to adjust the number of parcels I have, and if it came down to it, I could just pull up stakes and leave without any obligations.

Periodically I consider buying land, but after weighing costs and other considerations, renting always wins out.

I started renting a small plot, wanted to create a little corner of 1920s Berlin there, soon people joined my project and started donating so it became possible to rent more land.

And just when the project was going well the tenans sold the land and I was told I had 24 hours to remove everything.

I nearly gave up but supporters convinced me to start over.

At this time I was only a few weeks old and all this land owning and running a sim was very daunting.

Especially as I was very scared of being lured into spending lots of money in SL, I was one of those people who didn't want to bring any money into SL even if I could have afforded it.

But I was convinced the project had to continue so I got a premium account and bought some mainland.

The parcel there grew as more people joined the project and thanks to donations and supporters we eventually were able to buy a full region and that is where we are now.

Tiers are way too high and a bit scary but the project has so much support that we've managed to pay our bills for over 2 years now.

But if tiers were lower I'd probably started on my second sim by now.

I own about 1500sqm on the old continent, which I've had for two years or so. It started a bit bigger, and I bought a couple of neighbouring plots to tidy up the shape. At its biggest it was probably over 2500sqm. Since then I've sold bits of it off down to its current size.

I've owned land since very early in my SLife; I first bought some on the atoll continent about 6 weeks in (late 2006). I moved around a bit in my first couple fo years, owning five different plots in turn before I settled where I am now.

My land is primarily my home. I've no house, just a platform in the sky with a garden on it. I've owned several houses but I never really used them much, these days I prefer the open space of a garden. Below my garden I have another platform where I build and experiment.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.