Will there be a mesh editor to use within SL?

Darelian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like the prim edit and create tools already in SL.  Will there be a mesh editor built into SL?

One that we can use within SL....or do we have to upload everything from other programs?

I use Wings an SIlo mostly.  (WIngs is my  favorite).

Oh No!!!!!!!    What were they thinking? Why not? It doesn't have to be a really complicated one-  it just has to have mirror editing, and hollowing out, plus size, rotation, and a modest smoothing algorithm.  Also punching out holes and I think the standard poly edits.  What a bad idea they didnt include it in SL........

Sorry, but I also think there is just no point... which is why they didn't do it. It was talked of more than a year ago & seen by Lindens as reinventing the wheel. It would be using up a lot of Linden's work cycles to add it in & in the end it would only (at best) duplicate existing freebie 3-D apps like blender.

Even if they made an inworld mesh editing tool, I think most 3-D artists would not use it, prefering to do their work outside of SL. For simple reasons as you can save your work as you go, work seamlessly with CS5 & other programs, & not worry about crashing/lag/interruptions while working. I also really like not needing internet access while doing 3-D work anymore, since I'm working outside of SL, I can work on mesh anywhere - for example while sitting outside in a park.

So why don't we see an internal mesh app? Same reason Lindens didn't develop an inworld CS5 for texture work :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

How many years did it take 3ds Max to perfect their program and offer all the features they allow for? Or even Blender? Plus, look at how long it is taking them just to make an importer. The last thing I want to do is give LL more work to do. They can't even fix the problems we have now.

There will be some third party linkset to 3D model converter available in-world undoubtedly. Same as for example the excellent Sculpt Crafter, which does conversions into sculpties for your daily needs pretty well. Linden Lab COULD offer such a thing easily, but they won´t, because they only are after the upload fees and - obviously -  after Google Warehouse content and whatever else out there - and after whomever who might get teased into the thought that there is a fast and dirty dollar to earn with 3D model imports into SL (ROFL). They´re obviously only in it for the money. Who cares about IP laws, Second Life or...customers?

:matte-motes-nerdy:

Medhue Simoni wrote:

How many years did it take 3ds Max to perfect their program and offer all the features they allow for? Or even Blender?

Second Life is up since 2003 (8 years!!) and LL never managed to make it work anywhere close to perfection. The time and money spent on a completely unnecessary feature (3D model import) would have been much better invested into living up to their promises and make the basics work.

It already has been talked.

If Lindens allow residents to edit vertex of mesh in-world....

When you move a single vertex, the resulting mesh is a whole new mesh, not just the modified ver. of original mesh.

That means SL needs to save whole mesh data to asset server each time you move a vertex and that is not realistic.

Therefore Lindens came up with the idea which allow residents to make various shape in-world with only a few parameters, which is called "prim"....

• Like 1

There is no need to save a new version every time you move a vertex.  Mesh are displayed from a file on your PC.  Editing a vertex simply changes a few numbers in the file (the position of that vertex).  Your PC can easily hold the modified copy of the asset and use that for display while you edit, and then only send the changes when you finish the editing session.  So long as the only copy is sitting on a region, the region can hold the changes.  So that object is base mesh asset + some set of changes stored local on the region server.  When you take a copy to inventory, that is when you generate a new asset, same as any other edited object.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.