Can no longer get into SL -- did something change?

Genevieve Lunardi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A few days ago I tried to log in to SL using Viewer 2 on a MacBook Air. Never had a problem before, but I couldn't get in. I tried my PC. Same thing. Checked the grid status and the firewall on the MacBook Air (which I turned completely off). Still couldn't get in. I finally tried Metaverse on my phone. Same thing -- until I switched off the wireless and then it worked fine. So I think that is my first clue.

I did notice Viewer 2 looked different than I'm used to seeing -- sort of a dashboard with revolving pictures (which I find really annoying). Did SL change something recently -- maybe the inbound/outbound ports that it uses -- that would explain this? I doubt anything changed on my wireless, but I guess that is a possibility too? My provider is Verizon FIOS.

I've rebooted the router a few times, but it hasn't helped. Just really looking for some guidance from someone more technical than I am to help.

2 answers to this question

Check your connection. Use a web site like SpeedTest.net. If you have high ping or packet loss talk to your ISP.

If you can make it on, press Ctrl-Shift-1 (toggle) to open viewer statistics. Check your ping and packet loss. Ping should be under 250ms. You can connect with more but the game controls will feel sluggish. Any packet loss above 0% is a not good. You can connect and get by with 1 or 2%. At 3% and above you'll probably start to have problems.

If you have changed your bandwidth setting in Preferences, lower the value to something less than the max speed that SpeedTest.net gave you. SL servers can start to have problems when your setting is over 2mb, some say 1.5mb, no matter how fast your connection is. Play with it to fins out what works best. If you hang in busy regions settings below 1mb can work better. Lots of dependencies, so you have to experiment. 

Wireless is often a problem. SL support will tell you to avoid wireless. Use a cable when you can.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.