Couple of Questions, Please

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, just a couple of questions.

My video card is currently configured to handle anti-aliasing, etc.  Would i get better results with SL snapshots if i let the SL viewer handle the anti-aliasing and turned it OFF on my graphics card settings?  Or should i keep BOTH turned on?

Secondly, does anyone have any experience of Firestorm crashing whilst trying to take snaps?  Yes, i know this isn't a Firestorm forum; just asking.  If i can't take snapshots with Firestorm then it's a total deal breaker, and i'm disappointed.  :-(

Thanks for any and all advice.

Anti-Aliasing can cause some graphics cards issues especially when turned up to high and if you combine this with other graphic intensive options such as shadows and high draw distances, you could have problems.

I run one of the most powerful gaming boxes made and if I crank everything up, then try to move around too much, I too have lag and even crash.

Anti-aliasing should be set fairly low.  4 is usually optimal for most work.  Keep your draw distance down to a lower level as well and watch your windlight settings to make sure your water and and other features are not set too high unless you need to include water in your scene.

Firestorm IS having issues but this is just a beta.  Not sure how it will work in the end but if you are having issues with any technology that is in Beta, then don't use the beta.

Hello, I know you are using Firestorm and I am using V2 but I have some ideas that may or may not help based on my experiences with taking photos.

When I attempted to mess around with my graphics cards settings, I had bad results, for me I found it better to let SL do the antialiasing, and I keep it at 16x.

Sometimes I crash when taking pictures. It seems to happen when there is a lot going on and that my system can't handle it, for example if I am running on very high settings taking pictures of many avatars in a crowded place using extreme windlight settings. I hope you don't crash every time, but if you do I would recommend lowering something, the settings, the avatars, or the lighting.

Thank you, all.  I think i was asking too much of my viewer by having draw distance up high and turning on 'reflections' which is a new thing for me to try (and, as yet, unsuccessful).  

I've reduced the anti-aliasing (which didn't seem to be doing a lot) and i've changed my video card settings so that they'll enhance what the SL settings do, not over-ride.  I've yet to see if this will make a difference or not.   I hope i can get to take landscape pics on Firestorm.  If not, i'll go back to V2.

In Firestorm's defense, not that I use it, but it is still in beta, which means once its officially released, it may be wonderful. 

Also, about draw distance, keep in mind if you are taking photos of like what is in close distance, you can reduce it a lot to help with performance and not lose any quality in your photos. I usually keep mine at 96 unless I am taking a photo of an entire sim or something, then I crank it up. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.