Why are results for "Upcoming Events" on secondlife.com and Events Listings inworld different?

Eio Tuqiri

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I checked "Events Listings" on secondlife.com for "Live Music" listings for this 24 hour period, and there are 21 events listed.  When I go inworld in SL to check for "Live Music" in the events listings for today there are over 200 events listed!

Quite a discrepancy. 

Does this mean that the "Upcoming Events" listing on secondlife.com is broken? 

Or maybe it means only those who paid to advertise are listed on secondlife.com?  If that is the case the listing should say "Paid Advertising Upcoming Events".  Because as it is now, I would make the assumption that the events listed there on the website under "Upcoming Events" would be ALL the upcoming events listed in the SL Events Listings.

Whatever the problem, there are a WHOLE LOT of events listed in the SL Events Listings that are NOT showing up on secondlife.com.

10 answers to this question

Firstly, the 20 are "featured events"  & the 200 are per page, as I assume inworld you are looking at a viewer that is not using the new beta search.

Having said that, you are still right that the old and new searches are showing different numbers of events.

Using Phoenix (which has v1 search)  I set both searches, inworld and the website, to show all events in all categories for all maturity ratings for 4 particular days (starting at 12am) & the results were:

August 11th: V1 search  = 500 - New V2 search = 291

August 12th: V1 search = 411 - New V2 search = 226

August 13th: V1 search = 323 - New V2 search = 198

August 14th: V1 search = 235 - New V2 search = 151

I can see no reason why the results should be different, perhaps you could create a JIRA.

Peewee, thanks for the response, you pointed out another problem with searching event listings. However my post was not about "old and new searches" "showing different numbers of events" within Second Life.
My post was about secondlife.com "Upcoming Events" and inworld Events listings showing vastly different numbers of events.

You mentioned that "the 20 are "featured events". If that's the case then I think the website should have the heading say "Featured Events", that way it's clear, however the heading on the web site says "Upcoming Events" which leads me to think it's a list of upcoming events, not a few selected events.

Which leads me to wonder, if "Upcoming Events" on secondlife.com only lists a few of the many events coming up, who decides what gets listed, and for what reason?

Hi Eio,

The reason that the old & new searches are relevant, is because it depends on which viewer you are using, for example if you use the latest official LL viewer, you get the same search that is shown on secondlife.com, so the fact that you were getting different results meant you were using a different one....Though that totally doesn`t change the fact that I agree with you they SHOULD be showing the same results.

The "New" search is still in Beta & LL claim is still being tweaked. Nya has asked again on http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/Q-for-Lindens-Inworld-Search-Tweaks/m-p/1028591/message-uid/1028591#U1028591 for people to create JIRAs and post feedback for things they find wrong, so I would definately suggest that you raise this issue. Mainly because unlike other search categories "Events" is one that really has no excuse for showing different results to the old search.

Hey Peewee,

We aren’t talking about the same issue, though yours seems as much a problem that needs to be fixed as mine. Why not take your own suggestion and file a jira for the problem you’ve detected?

As I understand it, you’re talking about different viewers showing different results in a search of Events.

I’m not comparing viewers, I’m comparing secondlife.com with Second Life. Talking about the huge discrepancy between results for “Upcoming Events” listings on my dashboard on secondlife.com, and the actual number of events going on inworld.

You said, “for example if you use the latest official LL viewer, you get the same search that is shown on secondlife.com”. I expect so, I just did a search with Firestorm, which is a V2 based viewer, and it just takes me to secondlife.com.

I found 17 live music events for today searching secondlife.com. I found 786 live music events for today searching inworld with Phoenix using the old search.

Again, the reason for my initial post was that “Upcoming Events” listings on my dashboard on secondlife.com do not show anywhere near the actual upcoming events in Second Life.

Thanks for the conversation!

Hey Eio,

We are talking about the same thing, it is different search engines looking at the same data & getting different results. Firestorm uses the same search engine as secondlife.com, which is why they look the same & get the same results.

If you look at http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Test-Out-New-Search-Delivering-More-Relevant-Faster-Results/ba-p/891823 that is what "new" search looks like and as you can see both secondlife.com & Firestorm use that one. As I said before it is still being tweaked, so your findings are worth reporting.

Hi Peewee,

To be clear, my search of secondlife.com that came up with 17 live music events, was from the "Upcoming Events" section of my dashboard, as I mention in my first post here, not from the Search field.

Please take a look on your dashboard on secondlife.com (if it will load for you). There is a section at the bottom of the page titled "Upcoming Events", that is what my post is about, it is not about V1 or V2 search, though I mention search because of the discrepancies between "Upcoming Events" and search results inworld.

My problem is with “Upcoming Events” on the secondlife.com site. There certainly seems to also be a problem with Search in V1 and V2 showing different results, as you’ve pointed out, but that is not what I was/am pointing out.
The post you're asking me to look at is about the New Search. My post is about "Upcoming Events" on secondlife.com.

Unfortunately the Upcoming Events section of secondlife.com won’t load, so I can't access it to do a comparison today. Before you answer, I'd appreciate it if you do another comparison. Please check the Upcoming Events section on your secondlife.com dashboard for say, Live Music Listings for today, then do a search of Live Music listings in Events on any viewer you choose.

Your comparison of V1 and V2 searched both came up with hundreds of events. When I compared Live Music listings from Upcoming Events on secondlife.com with a search of Live Music listings in the Events Search, I found 17 listed on secondlife.com in Upcoming Events and hundreds listed in the Events Listings themselves.

(Don’t know if they are maybe working on Upcoming Events since it hasn’t loaded on my dashboard for three days, so maybe when it comes back it will be fixed. All other sections of the dashboard load, no problem)

And if you want a jira posted, go for it!

Again, thanks for the conversation, there’s always something to be gained from the exchange.

Since the "Upcoming Events" section of secondlife.com wouldn't load for three days I finally went here to continue with my experiment - http://secondlife.com/community/events/
I signed in and next to "Events for August 12, 2011" I selected the "Live Music" Category and selected "Show next 24 hours". (I did this @ Current Pacific Daylight time 2:05 PM. There were a total of 46 Live Music Events listed there.
I immediately followed that up with a search inworld with the Phoenix viewer and found 373 Live Music Events Listed.
That's 46 Live Music Events listed in Community Events on secondlife.com, and 373 Live Music Events Listed in Search inworld.

So my question is still, why the discrepancy?  That's a HUGE difference.  Since the number listed in Community Events is extremely low, like it is on the dashboard under "Upcoming Events", I'm guessing these two are related, and I'm still wondering why there is such a huge difference between those listings on secondlife.com and what comes up in Search.

• Like 1

k, Peewee,

I just posted my problem to the jira, check it out and please vote for and follow it if you're so inclined. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-4061
It's about the very low numbers of results shown on the dashboard on secondlife.com in Upcoming Events and Community Events, compared to the actual number of events going on.

Of course we both know, since your experiment posted here, that there is also a discrepancy between results in Search with V1 and V2, V2 showing WAY fewer results.
I hope you will post a jira on that.

Thanks for the conversation here!

Hi Eio,

I finally see where we were getting our wires crossed ...took me long enough lol You were looking on the Dashboard homepage & not in the search on secondlife.com....My aplogies for the confusion.

Having said that, I think the same problem is the cause of both sets of bad results so we were sort of on the same page too. Upcoming events on my homepage won`t load, but I have added my findings to your JIRA & voted for it..

Now lets see if LL does anything about it lol :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.