Sky never changes to night anymore

Kerri Gaelyth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I first joined SL, I liked the way regions would change from day to evening to night and then to morning. A bit faster than in RL.

But now, whereever I go, at any time, every region is in bright daylight. Even though my environmental settings are on default. Why is this?

In noticed this for awhile, and to test this, I went to a beach I knew that used to always change and stayed there for several hours. The sky never changed. It remained at midday the whole time.

Why is that? Has something changed in SL?  I use the latest Phoenix viewer; is it possible that I changed some option in preferences without realizing it?  I don't think that's the reason though, because whenever I talk to other avatars about this, they all say the region is in daylight also.

Now I know I can change the way things look for me by changing the environment default to something else. But I don't like this because then other people are not seeing the same thing as me, so it affects everyone's overall mood. Besides, I don't want to manually have to adjust the slider every few hours, I prefer it to happen on it's own, just like in RL.

Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

Yes, something has definitely happened with the lighting settings on the latest version of Phoenix.  As valerie suggests, you need to do a clean reinstall. I made the mistake of downloading the latest version without removing the old one first, and it just doesn't like it!

Hmm Interesting...I usually have my sun fixed at midday, but I am on Phoenix too & I just changed mine to region default and TP`d all over the grid & you are correct, it is daytime everywhere.

Usually if if you travel across the grid East/West you get all the different times of day at any one time.

I`m still on 1102 and haven`t changed anything with it since it was definately working.

EDIT: I just relogged after setting my quick preferences sun to default and now its working fine, I get all times of day & night as I TP across the grid. So hopefully a clean instal as suggested, will fix you. :)

Thanks everyone for your advice! Yes, i totally uninstalled Phoenix and then installed it again, and now the sky changes like normal. I'm not stuck in perpetual noon all the time anymore.

Now in the latest Phoenix, environments fade out when you change them manually, instead of just instantly switching. That is a little annoying. But it's still worth it.

Kerri Gaelyth wrote:

Thanks everyone for your advice! Yes, i totally uninstalled Phoenix and then installed it again, and now the sky changes like normal. I'm not stuck in perpetual noon all the time anymore.

Now in the latest Phoenix, environments fade out when you change them manually, instead of just instantly switching. That is a little annoying. But it's still worth it.

Pleased to hear a clean reinstall fixed this issue. Regarding this "blending" that the environment settings now does with the newest version of Phoenix, go into "edit", "preferences" the "phoenix" tab, "page 2", "windlight" and untick the top set of boxes. Click apply.  This will give you the instant switches once again.

(Thanks to Janelle Darkstone for teaching me this!)

Maximillon Lefavre wrote:

You might want to download and start getting acquainted to another viewer as Phoenix is going away in the very near future.

Just to clarify, LL are adding more & more new features to SL that are not compatible with V1 code, those features (such as Mesh) will not be added to the Phoenix viewer. This will ofc mean that Phoenix users will not be getting the full SL experience & over time will be missing more & more, but they will still be able to continue using the viewer without those features if they choose to.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.