Future of Mesh section/forum here.

Rage Riptide

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After mesh is overall enabled on grid I suggest a new sub-section to be created called "3D Modeling" inside this creation section. (Or change the name of this one) To save confusion.. you know? Mesh was ok for development.

3D Modelling will cover all aspects of, well, 3D Modeling as related to  Blender/Maya/AC3D etc as well as sculpts and separate from general prim/inworld Building.

One of the problems I forsee here is that modeling for sculpts and mdoeling for mesh are two very different things and to include both of them in the same forum header would be very confusing when you were trying to learn how to do either one from the begining. For people that are more experienced it wouldn't be much a problem to sift through whatever you weren't looking for and may learn some things from one to other without realizing it but for a noob I don't belive so.

You both have good points.

Whatever name is finally decided on should probably be something that is not just SL'ese jargon. 3D Modeling would make sense to any new modelers coming into SL.

What to do with sculpties? I supose give that subject its own section. Sculpties are pretty much an SL phenomenon AFAIK. I also think they would drive professional modelers or those that learned to model elsewhere nuts.

I think 'mesh' is fine, its been advertised as such throughout beta, on the blogs even this forum, to change it now would only add to the confusion. People are starting to understand what mesh is, when friends are telling friends about it thay are calling it mesh. Just like everyone knows what scuplties are (which we all know has its defining differences).

Why a 3D modeller forum? This is Second Life, not Blender, Maya or Autodesk. Go to these sites. I agree that "Mesh" is a silly and technical misleading description. Well, why not call the section "Converting 3D objects for SL (Regardless where you ripped them from)"?

The same discussion happened several times during the period of Sculpted Prims. Once and in a while someone proposed to separate sculpted prims from the Builder forum. At the end it was always decided to keep "builder" questions in the builder forum so Sculpted prim questions did not get their own space.

So instead of making another separation for "meshes" or however it should be named, it appears to me that joining this forum and  the builder forum makes more sense. Although well... if we wanted to separate the forums, then we should consider:

• Regular prim builders forum
  • Sculpted prim builders Forum
  • Main Stream 3D builders Forum

Just a thought, don't take me serious on that  ;-)

You are right ;-) If we realy wanted 3 different forums, then IMHO they should be named something like:

• Regular Prim builders forum
  • Sculpted Prim builders Forum
  • Mesh Prim builders Forum

But i still prefer to put all into "Builders Forum" after public release of the "mesh project" is fully rolled out. That still makes most sense to me.

And keeping this forum as "Mesh Beta development" also would make sense to me. At least if Mesh will continue to be further developed. So actually i wouldn't change anything ;-)

Vivienne Schell wrote:

What is "mainstream" about "mesh"?

It's used by about 90% of 3D work worldwide.  The balance is things like NURBS, procedural generation, and a few experimental methods like voxels.  So it is quite meainstream.  It is another tool which someone can learn in Second Life and go on to use in real life, along with textures, audio, animations, and programming.  Second Life is entertaining for some, for others it can be a great learning platform.

I would put in a vote for the status quo, at least for a while. There is likely to be an increased need for information exchange and feedback about mesh after the rollout. It is much easier for this to be provided through a focused forum such as this. In the longer term, as familiarity with mesh increases and the questions thin out, the time for changes may come.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.