highest hight possible in sl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Snapshot_006.jpg

2 million meters high! 

2000000 meters high & my av has become invisible!

Time it takes to manually fly this high: about 8 hours   << I was sleeping & left something locked down on my fly button

Distance to be in space from earth: 350000 meters

So when do I break out of the atmosphere & reach orbit? I wanna see some zero G up here

Edited to add: Well, flying to billions of meters would take weeks.... meh :matte-motes-impatient:

So, I just put my av into freefall from up here.

I'll report back the state of my av when I reach the ground :)

Good grief!!!!!!!

I can just imagine a support ticket going in now saying "I smushed in my avatar's head while travelling beyond Linden's Space Station. Please can you locate all my brain bits and put me back together again" (or something!)

:matte-motes-shocked:

Heck, this thread has made me laugh.

@Perrie, I remember getting a freebie spaceship from Onrez a couple of years ago, and that gave me the same message. I wasn't able to log in for about a week after that either. It really messed me up! And the spaceship must have been non-copy. I never found it again in my inv, and was afraid to order another one. 

Oh oh..... yeah, what if my heavy deformation is persistent.... even through relog? :matte-motes-oh-rly:

The support ticket would be hilarious :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

That spaceship sounds awesome!

What a neat trick, leaving Linden airspace. I wants one! :matte-motes-delicious:

captains log....

im still here and rezzin lol.. took a break for a day and i plan to get back to my mission.. my av is 100000 and climbing. i have some flight thingy that has kept my av flying up while im not pushing the flight button. ty all my fellow linden space cadets for yr help and research.... even tho i got my bf and all my friends begging me to stop before something happens.

As i hit 80,000, my avatar started flickering and distorting. my face, as shown in one of your posts, was looking somewhat like a bad cartoon drawing. the sl world below looks lighter than usua; and the sky looks dark now, tho somehow the moon looks no closer than it did when i left. the stars look pretty up here and my character is still function so i am continuing my climb. i will keep you all informed on what happens as i climb. if i return i plan a huge celebration for my adventurous travel. if, however, i do not reply by tomorow morning. i have probebly derezzed into the great beyond so please tell my family and friends i love them

this is captain Racia signing off for now

Captains log...

631000 meters in the air..... my body looks as if it is melting. my arms resembling stairs and my face has disintagraded into my head.. as i move closer to the million meter mark my eyes bulge out every second while i am moving. my skin also turns invisable, which is an odd sensation. my feet have melted into the rocket i strapped to my back to back tohelp me go. i will post a new update when i reach 1mil... which shouldnt be long

*crackle: "Ground control to Major Racia...

your circuits dead there's something wrong..

can u hear me Major Racia...?

can u hear me Major Racia...?"

*distant faint reply..

"For here and I'm floating with my tim tams... (choccie bikkies:-)

faaaar above the SLearth...

tell my SLife I love it very much...

u kno ooh ohh ohh..."

^- ???

;^o

reaches for a tissue, runs outside, looks to the heavens & *sobs....   nuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!    

I've been in freefall all day, now only 250000 meters remaining until impact.

LOOK OUT BELOW!

Still invisible & in appearance still looks the same as my earlier pic.

Wonders what shape my av will be after this experiment, or if my SL will just crash upon landing.

If there is a tremor felt across the grid tonight you all know why :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

WADE1 Jya wrote:

My avatar has been in freefall all day, now only 250000 meters remaining until impact.

LOOK OUT BELOW!

Would you like us to put out an ACME brand trampoline?  It's got the Wile E. Coyote Seal of Approval.

(...or that might be a court summons to the ACME corporation for injuries due to defective products, I'm not sure -- the paper is really old and hard to read.  Either way, c'mon, it's a trampoline!  What could go wrong?)

Thanks for the offer hehehe a trampoline would have been an awesome finish!

Just got back in time to see the landing.

Intense acceleration. About 200 meters up my body reappeared, & I crashed to the ground, somehow landing softly on feet & no visible damage.

Snapshot_008.jpg

My camera view is warped, thats the only after effect... I think... tries to walk.... yea I'm okay! :matte-motes-asleep-2:

MISSION COMPLETE!

Although I never flew that high with my AV before, in an early build of Phoenix (or might have been Emerald) if you disabled camera restraints, you could pan out really fast indefinitely. dunno if you still can or not, i'm back on 1.23 now :matte-motes-evil:

Eventually the sky turned dark and I paned up and the sky looked like a wormhole in a black hole, lol. When I log into SL tonight I’ll have to find that pic I took :matte-motes-nerdy:

Heheheheeh, just chuckling away thinking (rather sick of me probably) about avatar physics. Imagine if you had just ended up as a pool of SL strawberry jam!!! Oh that wouldn't have been at all nice, and naughty Janelle suggesting a trampoline!!!!!

This thread really has me laughing so hard.

And Wade, I am glad you got down to earth again, safe and sound.

(And aren't we a bizarre bunch when you think about it - none of us really have flown anywhere, the sky isn't real, but we're immersed in our Linden World enough to believe we are going up upuupupup and down down dowwwwwn.)

I will never forget how shocked I was when the ghost of you went plummeting past me high up in a Linden sky - I think it as at less than 3000m though. Talk about staring death in the face! And I wish I had known how to video back then, the footage would have been great. All I've got to remind me is this photo of you zooming by me.

13.07.11 ghost with gravity.jpg

captains log

I awoke to find myself a little over 1,500,000 meters. wow, i am horribly outta shape. i cant tell my face from my foot anymore lol. as i mentioned earlier, however, the sky is beautiful up here, especially at night. i cant think of any better wway to derez if i do lol. congrats to WADE on your safe landing!!! i was wondering what that super bright thing was rocketing towards the ground, must have been you hehe... was there any heat from the apmosphere when you re-entered? Im gonna keep going for now...... and i agree, this thread has been alot of fun. if nothing happens i may do a new experiment next week, perhaps see how far i can dig, ill call it "Journey to the center of the SLearth" lol. or mabey something else.. ill make a weekly blog or something lol... any ideas on what my next mission should be?

• 3 weeks later...

too bad build height maxes out at 4096 I'd love to go up to one of these ridiculous heights and leave all kinds of wierd outer space objects

imagine if Linden Labs found a way to put a large round object at one of these heights (like several sims large) and texture it like the moon, you could have hunts or events where you have to get in a spaceship and literally fly to the moon lol

• 1 year later...

Just found this rather old thread. I managed 2.6 MILLION metres last week.

It’s funny how reading one blog can lead on to reading another. I read one of Shauna’s yesterday, and below it was a link to a realted articleby Jellie Arrowmint written in 2011. It described her attempt to get to as high an altitude as she possibly could in SL.

Jellie reached a respectable 100,000 meters plus before getting bored and crashing back down to Earth.

Jellie had been inspired to attempt this by an even older blog written by Outy Banjo in July 2006. SL Physics was very different then, and Outy had used a modified “orbiter” weapon to propel himself to an amazing 1,010,994,688 metres – at which point he just stopped. The introduction of the Havoc 4 Physics engine by Linden Labs in 2008 changed all of that.

Since Havoc 4 the furthest an Orbiter or any scripted object will propel an avatar is a mere 5000 metres if you’re lucky.

Inspired by both Outy’s original trip into the unknown, plus Jellies’ 2011 adventure, I decided it would be fun to see just how “high” I could get in SL (without the use of hallucinogenic drugs!) and of course the best low lag place to attempt it was the Penny Lane sim.

I knew that the 1,010,994 kilometres that Outy Banjo had reached with SL’s Havoc 1 physics was going to be unobtainable. But never-the-less, I thought I would try and set the record for Havoc 4 physics in the modern day 2013 version of SL.

I started my journey at 15:30 SLT time on the 16th April. I was travelling at approx 1000 metres per every 3 seconds. When I checked my altitude 7 hours later I had just passed the 1 million metre mark and was still gaining altitude.

In order to try and boost my speed I attached some “flight enhancers” I had adapted many years ago. I am not actually sure if they are helping or not as originally I made them back in the havoc 1 days. They used to give me super flying speeds. Still – every little bit helps I decided, and strapped a flight band to each of my arms and legs. If nothing else they will take me past the pathetic 5000 metre mark which is how far an avatar can fly in SL without the use of any flight enhancements.

According to the SL Wiki the “ceiling” of the SL world with its current physics is 2,147,483,647 meters – or 2,147,483.65 km. That’s an amazing 1,136,489 KM greater than Outy Banjo reached in 2006 – so in theory his record can now be beaten – but with havoc 4 physics it would take you (approximately) – 948 hours of constant flight – or 39.5 days !!! However, it is an impossible feat as weekly rolling sim restarts would kick your avatar off the grid !

The average distance between the Earth and the Moon is 384,403 km and originally it was my aim to try and match that target distance. I soon realised I had set my sites way too high though. Even moving at 20,000 metres a minute it would still have taken seemingly forever, and I have a busy SL social life!

All was pretty normal up to and just over 1 million metres. After that things got a little weird. Even though I was clearly still getting higher the SL moon remained in exactly the same position for hours. It is clearly just an image painted on to the sky as I had always guessed. Down below me the land was just pitch black, and had dissappeared hours ago. Taking my finger off the Page Up key momentarily, I expected to hover, but instead continued to rise upwards (but more slowly), which was a bit of a surprise ! It was as if there was a gravametric force pulling me up.

It took me 15 hours to reach the height of 2157341.75 metres. By that time my avatar (and even name tag) had completely dissappeared from my screen along with any prim parts I was wearing. The screen “shook” as if I was passing through the sound barrier in an air plane. This video below was taken at 2.5 Million metres plus, and not long before I decided to quit.

For some reason I can't post the link here, but if you search You Tube for "Second Life - Over 2.5 Million Metres, Phoenix Viewer, Havoc 4 Physics " you should find it.

You can see one bright star just below the moon that seems to have a life of its own, bouncing around in a different pattern to the rest.

I tried some tests at this height. Teleporting another avatar I thought had worked, but the other avatar only arrived at a height of 8,192 metres (way way below me) which I guess must be the maximum height a Teleport can work. A landmark also failed. Upon using the LM it would only TP an avatar to a mere 4096 metres. Nothing would rez at this height of course, and not even releasing a particle stream from an object I was wearing had any effect. It is just sheer nothingness at that height, the moon and stars your only companion.

Well I didn’t hit my target…but I did reach 2.6 MILLION metres above SL. I hope thats a record for Havoc 4 physics. In total I was flying for a total of between 22 – 23 hours.

Slate McLeod wrote:

Well I didn’t hit my target…but I did reach 2.6 MILLION metres above SL. I hope thats a record for Havoc 4 physics. In total I was flying for a total of between 22 – 23 hours.

Wow, congratulations!  That's some perserverance.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

winner10.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.