Mirrored meshes...?

Maeve Balfour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm just wondering if it's possible yet (or if it is planned at all for the future) for meshes to be mirrored in-world?

As an example, say, for a left-hand shoe mesh - it would be great to have a facility in-world to mirror / flip a mesh like this to be identically opposite - in this case, the mirrored mesh would become a right-hand shoe mesh.

In theory this is just a flipped set of vertices. From my general mesh experience, a flipped mesh will still take the original UV-mapping (I proved this in-world, by importing a mesh I mirrored prior in my 3D modeler, and applying the same UV-texture from the original non-mirrored mesh - a perfect fit).

I vaguely remember reading many months ago that it is planned to accommodate mirrored meshes at some point - although mayhaps my memory is incorrect on this matter.

Any feedback welcomed.

PS: Keep up the wonderful work Linden peoples. I truly appreciate your efforts! :matte-motes-smile:

According to the last of Mesh Project Viewer FAQ 

"How do I mirror a mesh?
Sorry, we don't support this feature yet. We do plan to support mirroring later on." 

So I uploaded left and right sandal meshes. 

PE of  left  mesh is different from right  after the decimal point in small measure somehow.

I found that LL is thinking about other additional features also, but will not implement in first release.
Mesh/Technical Overview

• Like 1

Thanks Tanakaakio - I was sure I had read that ages ago, TY for posting the links, very handy.

And yah, I have been uploading both left and right meshes for footwear too - it works well enough, until mirroring inworld is one day (hopefully) implemented.

:matte-motes-smile:

Back in the old days of mesh, when we still had access to the mesh asset UUID, you could actually use a hack. You'd switch the prim type to sculpt map then click mirror. Afterwards, you could turn the  prim type back to mesh. Sadly, they have blocked us from switching the prim type or accessing the mesh asset. Those were the good old days of UUID switching by scripts too. :P But to their defense, they stated that the way things are set up now are more secure. So, I guess it is a balancing act.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.