I can not log in. I get the" cannot resolve host name" thing.

pfd2192

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am trying to connect to Second Life using my macbook pro OSX 10.6.8. I connect to the net via wireless network through the university system. I connect to the second life site fine and can log in there without issue. Anyone know how to let me in?

3 answers to this question

You will need to talk to your classmates or the university's IT support group. Some universities block ports that Second Life needs. In your case it sounds like they have used DNS to block access to SL virtual world servers: sim####.agni.lindenlab.com (#### = number).

The public access servers for signup, forum, blogs, wiki, and etc. use: something.secondlife.com.

If it is just a DNS thing the university imposes then it is possible to override the DNS server specification the university is assigning when you connect. You can switch over and use Google's DNS servers. Then your compuer should be able to find the domain lindenlab.com.

However, if the university has a bandwidth problem, which is why they would block in the first place, and the IT department is on their toes, they will notice your bandwidth consumption. So, make sure your not doing something that will get you in trouble.

You can test the idea using NSLOOKUP on Windows. I don't know what the equivalent is for Mac.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.