Blender Questions

Tharkis Olafson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I suspect this functionality doesn't exist as I've searched as to how to do it for a while but I will ask here anyway. Is there a way to rotate my vew around an object on only one axis while using the mouse in Blender? When I use MMB to rotate, I almost always end up skewing the angle, which causes me no end of grief trying to get my view in the position I want. It's really the most frustrating aspect of using the application in my opinion. Can anyone give me any pointers?

If you have a number pad:

then:

• 4,6 rotate around z axis
  • 8,2 rotate around y-axis
  • 1 front view
  • 3 side view
  • 5 toggle between orthogonal and perspective view
  • 7 top view
  • CTRL+4,6 pan along x
  • CTR+8,2 pan along z
  • CTRL+1 back view
  • CTRL+3 back side view
  • CTRL+7 Bottom view
  • "." (or "," on US keyboards) focus on selection
  • 0 toggle camera view and 3D view

You can change the rastering of the rotation functions on the preferences under Interface -> rotation angle

I believe on Blender 2.49 you have to activate the Numpad (pressing the NUM key), for Blender 2.5 it seems like the number pad is always recognized.

You would probably want to go to front view ("1" on the num,ber pad), then press "4" or "6" to rotate around the z-axis... That should give you what you want ;-)

http://www.bchynds.com/2009/06/17/blender-25-featured-feature-4-split-view/

Try "four viewport". This gives you 4 windows, top, side, front, and 3D(camera). The trick is to work in the first 3 viewports and watch progress in the 3d view(which you can pan around without disturbing you other viewports). This takes some getting used to, but is 1000 times faster and more efficient than constantly panning around trying to find the right angle to select something.

Note that in Blender 2.49 on a Mac you have to pull down the header menu, select the System & Open GL menu, and click on Emulate Keyboard to get the numerical view selections to work.

I bought a SpaceNavigator 3D device recently to help with Blender recently (the trackpad on my MacBook Pro has killed my thumb in four years with Blender). It works great with Sketchup but nobody can get it to work with Blender. Oops.

I bought the SpaceNavigator 3d for use with SL..I had to stop using it due to motionsickness which I don't get using the keyboard navigation keys.

However, I think it would be very handy using it when modeling.  Unfortunately it doesn't work with my most used 3d software: Blender, Modo and Zbrush.  The  only thing it works with that I have access to is Lightwave and 3d Coat which I hardly use and Photoshop where it isn't needed.  Sad.

Blender is designed to be used using the mouse AND keyboard. Left hand on the keyboard (move it more to your left), right hand on the mouse. (Left handers will swap) Get to know your shortcuts, which can all be modified to suit if needed and you'll rarely have to use the main menus.

I got myself a [small] Wacom Bamboo and mapped the top button to the MMB so I use my thumb for the gimbal or rotating view. I can reach Ctl and Shift along with the thumb to move the view around fast. My MMB is very firm and I don't like holding it down... I don't have to at all now.

Here's something useful for the keyboard shortcuts:  Blender @ KatsBits

A small tip: When you save your settings and customisations, save out a new .blend file like custom_settings.blend so when you DO mess up, reopen the settings file and save as user defaults again.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.