Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Avariado

SL Viewer updates

Recommended Posts

Second Life viewer 2 is updated to often.

That's just annoying and insane.

Besides, I never see major changes or improvements.

It only gets bigger and heavier. 

Linden Labs should do a lighter viewer with the new technology available nowdays.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second Life viewer 2 is not  updated enough. And people with 10 year old computers demand that all development on viewers and other software stop because they are too cheap to update their hardware. The ones that aren't complaining about *that* are comlaining about a update that takes 5 minutes. That's just annoying and insane. Besides, most people like you never read the changelogs, so they wouldnt see any changes or improvments, and those that are there are usually backend changes that dont add too much in the way of file size. Linden Labs could do a lighter viewer with the new technology available nowdays, but the ones that complain the most about the size and slowness couldnt use new technology anyway because they never update their hardware, or in many cases, software. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahahahahah, Serith Haefnir, you make me laugh real loud :D

One day SL will be only for children who don't have anything else to do than update SL all the time and ask daddy to buy new hardware!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nods, i very much agree. It is being updated so often that we go from showstopper to showstopper when it comes to 2.

Version 2.7.2 finally has become usuable for me as long as i don't use AA and the new lightning together. But that has Beta Search. I started to use 2 with 2.4. That gave me micro pauzes every 5 seconds or so, what an utter annoyance. Then 2.5... That gave me constant freezes and hard drop of fps. Then we had 2.6, but that gave me a lot of other issues including rediclous slower load of textures, then 2.7.3, 2.7.4.again deep drop of basis fps pfewww. And one thing i am sure of is that my notebook exceeds requirements. It actually is exactly according to the most optimized specs for SL.

I really want to use SL rather than taking hours resolving another showstopper with each interation.

So i went backto 1.23.5... and all is silky smooth. And i can actually enjoy SL :) Lately i meet more and more users logged in with 1.23. And i must say it is the sleekest and fasted viewer at this moment. My basic fps is even 60 or higher, with drops to 12 sometimes where 2.7.4 is 5-7. How ridicule since the inworld experience is hardly different.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Linda Brynner wrote:

Nods, i very much agree. It is being updated so often that we go from showstopper to showstopper when it comes to 2.

Version 2.7.2 finally has become usuable for me as long as i don't use AA and the new lightning together. But that has Beta Search. I started to use 2 with 2.4. That gave me micro pauzes every 5 seconds or so, what an utter annoyance. Then 2.5... That gave me constant freezes and hard drop of fps. Then we had 2.6, but that gave me a lot of other issues including rediclous slower load of textures, then 2.7.3, 2.7.4.again deep drop of basis fps pfewww. And one thing i am sure of is that my notebook exceeds requirements. It actually is exactly according to the most optimized specs for SL.

I really want to use SL rather than taking hours resolving another showstopper with each interation.

So i went backto 1.23.5... and all is silky smooth. And i can actually enjoy SL
:)
 Lately i meet more and more users logged in with 1.23. And i must say it is the sleekest and fasted viewer at this moment. My basic fps is even 60 or higher, with drops to 12 sometimes where 2.7.4 is 5-7. How ridicule since the inworld experience is hardly different.

 

 

I find comments like this utterly hilarious considering just how much people hated 1.23 when it was first released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SL autoupdates, so it really is not a problem. As for new hardware, thats a stretch to say that everyone should have new hardware. My 2007 computer runs SL well, if you are on a pentium 4 you dont have a right to gripe about not having the best or fastest performance, you are on a 10 year old computer. I get tired of hearing people complain when they can't ever update hardware OR software. Running a pentium 4 with windows XP and expecting things to run at 60 FPS is like expecting a car from 1990 to run without an issue if you have driven it 200,000 miles and never changed the oil or tires. Cmputers are not that expensive anyway, every 5 years or so, get a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fact, hilarious :) Popular alternate viewers are all based on v1.23... 

But lately I see more and more users logging out SL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No viewer is based on 1.23, phoenix, imprudence and others are based on snowglobe 1.5 . And more people are using v2 based viewers like kirstens and firestorm, as well as v2, every day. I dont see this drop off in people mentioned either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Avariado wrote:

In fact, hilarious
:)
Popular alternate viewers are all based on v1.23... 

But lately I see more and more users logging out SL.

There isn't a single TPV that is still based on 1.23. My point is that every complaint Linda made about 2.x people said about 1.23 when it was first released. They also said it about 1.22, and 1.21, and 1.20, and 1.19.1, and 1.19, and so on. In fact in all my time in sl I can't remember one single viewer that was widely regarded as good at the time of its release. Not that I don't believe that Linda or anyone else is having these problems, but it's sounding like a broken record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's so true after the update today when i woke up i just knew it would be a bug and here we go the texture load bug appeared again as i posted new thread about it.

Yes it's too often and it doesn't repair everything i'd say it buggs something on every update.

The new update tomorrow,one god knows why they updated it everything was perfect..... and my computer lagg even more with the update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SnowGlobe 1.5 is an enhanced version of the SL client v1.23.

Why do these people lie so much? Do they think we're retarded?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Avariado wrote:

SnowGlobe 1.5 is an enhanced version of the SL client v1.23.

Why do these people lie so much? Do they think we're retarded?...

V2 is based on 1.23 as well. You're lying to yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Avariado wrote:

Second Life viewer 2 is updated to often.

That's just annoying and insane.

Not really.  The unix "Release Early, Release Often" model is among the best software practices out there.  Contrast this to Microsoft's "NUTS" style that leaves software unpatched and vulnerable for, in some cases, 30 years and counting now.  Some of the design shortcomings from QDOS still manifest themselves in Windows 7, requiring stupid workaround like antivirus software rather than addressing the problem head on: Backwards compatibility isn't always a good thing if it means keeping a fundamentally broken security model.


Avariado wrote:

It only gets bigger and heavier. 

Linden Labs should do a lighter viewer with the new technology available nowdays. 

Use the source, Luke!  The Lindens don't need to do anything beyond what they're already doing.  Go check out the source code and modify it until it suits you.  Or take a look at the projects that have already done just that.  The Lindens are already bending over backwards to give you, literally, infinite choice.  Please make use of these choices if you don't like the default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, sure! I'm going to buy a third life to have time to build my own Viewer, just to play Second Life.

Why do I even need Windows or Linux? Bah! I'm going to build my own OS!

I'm so excited right now...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It IS updated too often. When people don't update their hardware it doesn't mean they're cheap or old fashioned. It means they can't afford new hardware. I'm sure if they could have a new system they'd be quite happy. This does not apply to myself to however, I have a mac book pro, which meets the requirements of SL just fine. What you say takes five minutes takes more like 10 minutes for me. There is no fast internet in my area, and it updates like this every third time i log in. It's annoying to have to wait like that when i can't even see a difference. If the user doesn't experience improvement the update is (usually) unnecessary. It takes more space on my computer. It uses up my time. I don't see a difference. 

It's no your place to hide behind your computer and insult people when you don't even know their situation. That is a cowards act. I would say this to you in person would you say your comment in person? Always consider that before you post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Software updates don't necessitate hardware updates unless you're part of the lunatic fringe who feels they're entitled to run everything with every feature turned on whether or not it makes a positive difference for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Avariado wrote:

In fact, Second Life takes too long just starting/loading... even withOUT updates.

Too long , is a highly subjective statement. What do you expect, start program and BANG ?

For me the startup process is ok, if i log into an MMOG or something else, it takes time too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No its not updated too often, specially with the autoupdater.  It is updated with useful updates most of the time, even if they are not user facing features. People just seem to want to go back to the old times when we would go 6 months between updates. Updating software does not mean you have to update hardware, but if you are still running a pentium 4 you should know you are on an older computer and not expect things lightening fast. Some features will not work on wolder computers at all. thats technology, it advances and you just have to get used to it.

 

even 10 minutes is not that long a time for updating software. its people that never update their freaking software because they want to check facebook or email that cause a large part of the malware and viruses because they never apply security updates either. And just because YOU can't see a difference does not mean there isnt one. Most of the changes are backend fixes that make SL more stable. You seem to expect a new user facing feature with every update. Having installed every single update of SL viewer 2, the incremntal updates do not take much more space, if any. its certainly not a massive amount. id be willing to bet your internet cache is bigger than the additional filesize added by an SL update. As for time, get used to it, maintaining a car takes up time too, if you dont want to take the time to maintain something properly, dont own it or get someone else to do it.

 

It is "my place" to tell people their complaints are stupid. I am in SL a lot, and most of the complaints about SL updating too much come from people who never update to begin with. Then they complain that they cant do this or that and expect me or other staff at the club i work at to take our time to help them figure out why they cant do what others can do. And yes, I would say this to them in person and you. I honestly do not like it when people cant be bothered to update software on their computer and then complain about it. SL updates are free, they are not a huge hassle. I do them, and if i can so can anyone else. What i especially dont like is the sugesstion that linden lab should slow down viewer development for EVERYONE because some people dont like updating or feel its too frequent or have old hardware. What about people that just bought a new computer or like getting new features? Oh no, screw them, *I* dont want to update and thats all that matters. Oh, they have a faster computer? So what, Linden Lab should just freeze all development because im the only one using second life with my decade old PC and demand that my computer be the fastest.

 

When you are like me, and have to deal with peoples computer issues ALL THE TIME both irl and in SL, and 70 percent of them are because people are too lazy or stupid to update their software, end up getting a virus or having a problem with incompatability and i or someone like me has to fix it. Try telling me that its not my place after i just spent 5 hours of my time fixing a friends computer because they wouldnt update dsoftware and got a virus because they didnt want to take 10 minutes to install a security patch that its not my place. "It's not your place to hide behind your computer and insult people when you don't even know their situation. That is a cowards act." goes both ways

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serith, if you're not lying:

I would pay you too if you just show me that heavy beast called "Viewer 2" running on a 800 MHz Pentium III with XP, 512 MB or more, NVIDIA GeForce 6600, and DSL connection. Ahahahahah!!! Then we could continue to talk, Until then, it's useless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SL v2 can run on such a platform, but that is the minumum spec, meaning the lowest that can run it. Anything less than that cannot. If you try running Sl on a computer with 00 MHz Pentium III with XP, 512 MB or more, NVIDIA GeForce 6600, and DSL connection you should expect it to work, but barely. Most people have updated their software in the past 10 years though so i doubt anyone is running it on a pentium 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just go read other recent topics about people who are complaining that they can't no longer use Viewer 2 after the last updates.

Viewer 2 DOESN'T RUN on hardware fiting the minimum system requeriments.

End of story.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Serith Haefnir wrote:

SL v2 can run on such a platform, but that is the minumum spec, meaning the lowest that can run it. Anything less than that cannot. If you try running Sl on a computer with 00 MHz Pentium III with XP, 512 MB or more, NVIDIA GeForce 6600, and DSL connection you should expect it to work, but barely. Most people have updated their software in the past 10 years though so i doubt anyone is running it on a pentium 3.

Actually 2.7 and up won't work at all, it requires SSE2 which the Pentium III doesn't have. It should work with the 6600 but given that you can get a video card 20 times faster for $10 these days I don't know why anyone would bother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, this is true. SSE2 is pentium IV and up, so they should adjust that to reflect that 2.7+ will not run on the minimum specs. Though I should point out that 2.6.9 is still allowed to access the grid as is 1.23 for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...