If I restore the game to a previous version, will I lose inventory items, saved outfits, etc...

KagomeHigurashi Eternal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

See... the problem, and I guess the situation that caused, it is this: I was playing normally, and a friend sent me a link to a YouTube video, but when I clicked it and the video opened, SL started lagging, and moments later I got the crash message "Darn, you have been logged out. This region could be experiencing difficulties. View IMs and Chat. Quit." Bla bla bla. Fine, I'll just launch the game again, right? No such luck. I have tried everything I can think of to get back in normally, but I keep getting that crash. I know it's not the region, because after trying "log back in at last location" I tried logging in at my home location with the same crash, I tried typing in a region to go to, all with that same crash. I tried haven nothing running but SL; same crash. There were multiple times I tried restarting my computer in various ways (basic restart, and turning it off and letting it sit) and then only having SL running; same thing. I tried leaving my computer alone for a few hours and trying previous tricks again; still no luck. I tried clearing SL's cache; nothing doing. My next idea comes from right clicking on the launcher. It gives me the option to restore the game to a previous version using what looks like a system backup image or something. If I try that, will I lose everything from after that backup date? You know, like items, pets, outfits, land, Lindens, recently added friends from my list, folders and note cards made, and so on?

Edit: Thanks for responding, guys. Well I had already cleared SL's cache before with no luck, so I didn't bother to try that again. I went ahead with the restore, but the problem was still the same... So, I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but the problem hasn't changed... I don't know how to do anything with my graphics card, so I'm just going to try waiting and my other methods again until it decides to work...

Edit 2: On second thought... maybe I will try clearing my cache and waiting again.

Edit 3: Buuuut... again, it didn't work...

Edit 4: I tried leaving my computer off all night, turned it on again when I woke up, and tried to launch again, but nothing has changed. As for what viewer I use, yes it's viewer 2.

Edit 5: I downloaded firestorm, and it worked! Thank you all for your help (especially Marigold, for sticking with me <3 )!

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

You'll be pleased to hear that you won't lose any of your inventory, or anything you might have inworld if you uninstall SL and reinstall it, because although we have cache stored on our computers, all the information relating to your avatar is stored on the LL servers.

But I am thinking, because you crashed while trying to open a youtube video, which meant extra drain on your graphics card, you might just need to update your graphics card drivers.  Also clearing your cache won't hurt (just bring up your viewer on your screen, but without logging in, click on "me" "preferences" "general" "clear cache", close the viewer down, wait 20 minutes, then try logging back in again to an empty sim - Furball is a good one.

And please keep this thread up to date; just add more to your original post by editing it (options on top right of your own post), or click on "permalink" bottom left of any post you wish to respond to.

• Like 1

HI there -- frustration abounds I am sure.

You might try installing a third party viewer. You didn't say what viewer you were using. That might help. Even giving 1.23 a try might be good as a test. AND while you will not lose your inventory, you WILL lose outfits (the new kind) if you go back to a Viewer 1 based viewer (official or third party) so be prepared for that. 

Hope this works out for you.   I am not sure that letting your compture "rest" is helpful *wink* but ya never know.

• Like 1

KagomeHigurashi Eternal wrote:

... I don't know how to do anything with my graphics card, so I'm just going to try waiting and my other methods again until it decides to work...

Graphics cards need updating from time to time, and it's far more simple than it sounds.  All you need to do is go to the manufacturer's website, and there will be an option to install the latest drivers.  Then you just watch and wait while the machine sorts itself out.

• Like 1

Click on the main button you use when you open new programs or close down your computer, and you should have a help/search box. Type in "device manager" and it will bring up a list of what components your computer is made up of. Look down the list for "display adaptors" or "display". Click on the icon next to this and it will tell you the type of graphics card you have installed in your machine.

Thanks for keeping the thread up to date. I'm sorry updating your graphics driver hasn't helped.

Do you always use the same viewer? Are you using Viewer 2? 

Another poster in this thread has suggested you try using another viewer to see if you have the same problems. If you are used to using Viewer 2, I'd recommend you try the approved third party viewer, Firestorm. Otherwise, Phoenix is the one that I use. You can download from this web link: http://www.phoenixviewer.com/downloads.php

See if you still have the same issues when using a different viewer.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.