A promising virtual future?

Six Igaly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hmmn.....it's basically just voxel rendering.  Evidently they've worked out (supposedly) a way of reducing the data point clouds dynamically in real time based on distance.  I also note they aren't animating any objects, everything was static.

Maybe some mechanism for condensing the point cloud data dynamically.  Hard to say, and they are being very tight lipped about it (aside from a small blurb at the bottom about it being some search algorithm.....)

It has potential, obviously.....and if GPUs continue to get more powerful and sophisticated in handling floating-point calcs, we may see real-time raytracing become feasible for games, which would really make things look incredible.  (note, there are already some simple ray-tracing game demos using high-end GPUs, so it isn't that much of a stretch.)

I've seen something about this system before, I think maybe last year....  As someone who animates polygons, I don't see this floating point system being limited in animation, it has got to be fairly simple to shift those points according to the animator's wishes, given there exists some appropriate software tools. Is there some inherent shortfall to this system I am missing?

Helium Loon wrote:

I also note they aren't animating any objects, everything was static.

Now you mention it.  And this, 'voxel' was totally unknown to me at first, no clue. (Now i know! :matte-motes-nerdy:) And afterwards so obvious lol

Interesting. These things come and these things go. We can hope.

I just bought a PC, it has to last 5 years like my other ones. I think I'll have a new one, or a second new one by the time I "might" see this and I haven't even seen a DirextX11, or OpenGL3 anything yet. (I thought I might get a demo/showcase disk with the Gfx card... but no. We used to though :\)

------------------------------------------

Hi everyone. We've been working very hard and we hope you like what we've made. This is just our 1 year report, after which we will probably go quiet again while we finish our work. This demo only shows what was ready at the time, we have a lot of really good stuff here but we are keeping it secret for now. (Yes grumpy forum people, we do have animation, but you'll just have to be patient.)

Kindest Regards, Bruce Robert Dell -- CEO Euclideon.

------------------------------------------

Well we could say that the numbers dazzle around our ears. Half way i fell asleep lol. It seems a promo, quite boring even to be hounest. But ok if it works it works, that is for lower spec computers since many in SL are on an older notebook. I suspect at this very moment it is more for the geeks and gamers who are used to enormous computing power. Many in SL use lower spec thingies so if it works for that it is be hoped that LL will take advantage of it at early stage of development then, but as always.... they have fallen so far behind where they were far ahead one day...and that link is a promo. And in promo's everything is possible lol.

What I gather from this video is they have been able to take the ideas from medical 3D imaging technology and optimize it for use on everyday, normal mid-end computers with decent video cards in an increcibly massive scale without the need for a draw distance or a detail budget of any kind. If this is the case, I'm quite excited.

I don't know how it will happen, but I've long thought that eventually, graphics, sound etc will be so realistic it will be harder for many to connect to the real world. Yes, more so than many already find it is.

One day, individual blades of grass will shine in the sun, sway in the wind, and birds will fly past, sounding louder as they do. More and more like 'real life.'

It will have to reach critical mass before people again realize they already have those things.

Outdoors.

• 4 weeks later...

as good as it looks there's just a bit of an uncanny valleyness to it, (yeah I know they said they're not designers not artists, but still there's something about the more real something looks the less likely your mind is gonna be able to accept it as realistic)  

current SL graphics as is I think finds a nice balance between realistic looking and valley acceptible the one thing I would hope for this if SL enabled something like this is it frees up enough processing power that Linden Labs could impliment a way to do real time reflections in other things besides Linden Water (be able to  have actual mirrors rather than mirror like objects with a greyish texture on them or a fancy camera trick)

• 1 month later...

Great first step guys!

SL - Please now figure out how to animate these 'atoms' in an equally realistic fashion.

Then maybe mix in a little 'marker-less non-destructive re-targeted motion-tracking' for good measure...

...and most importantly, the ability to look down and feel like we own the virtual 'avatar' we inhabit, within this gloriously realistic 3D animated world.

Not asking too much am I? ;)

Is there no resource implication to this at all? 

I'm no techie, far from it, but calculating the positions, movement, light effects plus a whole host of other dynamic attributes of a billion odd 3D particles every 0.05 secs at least, would, to a layman like me, seem an enormous resource hog. 

I would presume further that this would only be used firstly in boxed/downloaded first person games etc, whereby a lot of the data can be stored locally.  Would this really be feasible in the near future for a dynamic MMO such as SL?  Can servers at the present time stream out all that data to maybe 20 people on a sim all looking at something from a different aspect?

I really don't know the answers to these questions, but it's just my layman's take on it.  If it is possible then wow, just WOW, I can't wait.  Maybe some techie can inform me in simple terms.

/me goes back to rubbing sticks and bashing rocks.

lemonmoog99 wrote:

Great first step guys!

SL - Please now figure out how to animate these 'atoms' in an equally realistic fashion.

Then maybe mix in a little 'marker-less non-destructive re-targeted motion-tracking' for good measure...

real time mapping of your facial expressions (and hand movements would be awesome too) onto your avatar would be awesome, I've read articles about people working on this but haven't seen any results yet

lemonmoog99 wrote:

...and most importantly, the ability to look down and feel like we own the virtual 'avatar' we inhabit, within this gloriously realistic 3D animated world.

Not asking too much am I?
;)

I've already done this dozens of times, I have a Vuzix Head Mounted Display  and despite the small snag that they no longer support motion tracking past Viewer version 1, using it and going into Mouselook (especially with the "be able to see your own avatar in mouselook" option turned on)  can IMMEDIATELY bring me into this sensation/headspace, couple it with the afformentioned facial expression/hand motion mapping and could you imagine just how much voice chat alone would leap ahead?

hell, if we wanna get REALLY fancy, imagine if SL  offered plugins to use these interesting technologies here as well as what has already been discussed?  SL could arguably be considered 1) the movie/science fiction grade virtual reality we've read about/watched on screen for years or 2) a viable alternitive for real reality lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.