Marketplace Release Notes: August 4, 2011

Brooke Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

Today we released an additional social networking feature on the Marketplace: Facebook Like. You can still comment on Facebook (and other social networking applications) using our AddThis widget.

Please let us know if you see any issues or have other suggestions.

Thanks!
Brooke

So Brooke I have to ask....

How is it that in one post only a few minutes earlier as well as the few rare past posts from you, you make it clear that although the Merchant community keeps telling you things in the Marketplace that are still not fixed from SLX or missing or broken - you and your team is too busy to work on these issues - you are focused only on Direct Delivery...

and then you post in this thread how your team has the time to add a feature into Marketplace that no Merchant even requested or cared for or had as a priority.

Please explain your team's development priorities and which of your posted statements is the truth.

1. Your team is too busy to work on the backlog of Marketplace missing fixes and features but you have a team of rogue developers that find time after hours to develop and deploy their own PET FEATURES into SLM
  2. Your team does actually have development cycles to fix the Merchant's old and growing list of unresolved SLM features but you truly do not want to fix them and are only making excuses why our requests can never be addressed

Only one of them are the truth Brooke.

lol - well it was you that reversed the statement.

What I said is that on two sides of a coin - only one side can face up. 

So either Brookes team does have time for Merchant requested changes or she doesnt.

That she is adding new features - that were not even a priority to merchants - is evidence that Brooke's team HAS TIME.

If her team does have time - then the natural understanding is that Brooke's Team simply does not have a priority to work on Merchant concerns - only to work on her own team's secret wish list.

It's a small team, can't help you understand how this works or how you can have a small team doing "mostly" one thing while spending a few cycles on "other stuff".

Assuming those social networking bits were pretty much plug and play and took a whopping hour or two to bring you a feature to help spread the word about your products "if" you choose to use that form of marketing.

But by all means, continue to turn it into something else.

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

It's a small team, can't help you understand how this works or how you can have a small team doing "mostly" one thing while spending a few cycles on "other stuff".

Assuming those social networking bits were pretty much plug and play and took a whopping hour or two to bring you a feature to help spread the word about your products "if" you choose to use that form of marketing.

But by all means, continue to turn it into something else.

No disrespect Dart but unless you have inside knowledge and active involvement in the LL Commerce Team structure, activities, and planning I would rather you dont make your "guesses" as to why Brooke's team can or cannot work on Merchant requested priorities but has the time to work on her team's on list of priorities.

Are you telling me and the thread that you have the authority to speak officially on behalf of the LL Commerce Team?

My question was directed to Brooke and LL... not to you or any other "CUSTOMER" of LL.

You clearly do not have a strong understanding of resource management and project planning priorities - otherwise you would not have made the flip flopped response.  "Brookes team is really small"  but "Brookes team has time to waste on small pet projects that no one requested".

If I were the head of the LL Commerce Team and my team was a small as you guess - then I would kicking some serious butt if any of my team members were wasting 1 HOUR on a new feature into SLM that was not a priority.

But see Dart... I work with large enterprise companies where resource management is taken seriously.

anyway... still waiting for a response from an OFFICIAL LL SPOKESPERSON.  (If you response again Dart I would have to assume you are from LL)

No, I'm just a forum-head. But I can tell you that I can work on a major task and still manage to plug in a Facebook Like button on a website in about 5 minutes. I can also tell you that I've employed small teams capable of doing the same.

In fact, I'm doing that right now, fixing a major problem and a few side problems and posting to you here in the forums. I'm not doing that as fast as I could manage with a bigger team. My own backlog is pretty large. But there are some vital bits that I need to attend to first.

Call it empathy.

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

No, I'm just a forum-head. But I can tell you that I can work on a major task and still manage to plug in a Facebook Like button on a website in about 5 minutes. I can also tell you that I've employed small teams capable of doing the same.

In fact, I'm doing that right now, fixing a major problem and a few side problems and posting to you here in the forums. I'm not doing that as fast as I could manage with a bigger team. My own backlog is pretty large. But there are some vital bits that I need to attend to first.

Call it empathy.

But again you speak loudly how you have no experience dealing with enterprise development and deployments by your comments.

You are no miracle worker by deploying a "button on a website in 5 minutes".  Anyone can add a 5 minute button to their little hobby -classed web/blog site. 

So lets look in more detail at your 5 minute change:

1. The button you are talking about is not just a JOY BUZZER button that is placed on your page.  It ties functionality and system interactions to other systems from that "5 minute button".
  2. So for your little itty bitty website you are likely talking about with a small smattering of traffic and of which the impacts to your change going wrong hurts no one but yourself (when you tick off your visitors if it goes wrong).
  3. Also, since your little website has such a small hobby-classed traffic, the chances of anything going wrong even for the smallest change is very low since the variety of potential scenarios testing the little button is low.
  4. Also, for your 1-man operation, if you get too many complaints from visitors, you will be there to fix it at your own sweet time.  You have no Service Level Agreements / Support commitments to your visitors - much less visitors that are revenue generating merchants whos income you could be impacted.
  5. And finally, the 5 minutes of your PERSONAL TIME used on putting your little button on your website - its your priority and your call.  You can do what you want.

But - using your own words from previous threads - lets sit you in the BIG BOY Chair of enterprise classed system/service delivery and development....

1. Sites like eBay and SLM have a visitor / user base that dwarf your little self-managed site.  Even little SLM has like 70,000 merchants and many times more customers/visitors that it services.  As such, ANYTHING that happens or IS DONE to a system at this scale needs to be properly planned for deployment and support.
  2. As such, so this LL Commerce Developer puts in this 5 minute little button onto SLM.  If LL is a mature development shop - there is no such thing as a 5 minute change and deployment!  I wouldnt be surprised if LL does fling 5 minute changes into SLM - but most sites of this size WOULD NOT.  Every change is first talked about as to the planning of the change, the design of the change, an approval process of the change, testing of the change on a non-production system to see if there are no adverse unforeseen affects to the change, then the change is implemented, announced to the customers, and then monitored for any impacts when deployed to the full population.
  3. Point 2 has moved in time from your little 5 minute change to a 1 or 2 day change at minimum for most companies of the SLM size.  (even though all evidence is that LL does not have these mature deployment processes)
  4. Now... lets keep going, what happens after Brooke's announcement if there was unforeseen concern about the change from the community (dont tell you have never seen this happen).  The button links to some site that doesnt work under certain conditions or does not work or crashes certain browsers?  etc. etc. etc.
  5. Who will be at LL to support the new 5 minute change??

I can keep going Dart but see - in the BIG BOY chair of enterprise system development, deployment, support.... your 5 minute changes you do in your basement do not exist. 

This change Brooke approved and deployed cost Brooke's team at least a couple days of one of her team's effort - and possibly more if the little button needs to be fixed or removed.

This is what wasted and poorly prioritized resource management is what I see is happening in the LL Commerce Team.

Please tell me you did not just use that frantic verbiage to compare SL Marketplace with enterprise development, and elude to my experience as being sub-par on a commercial product level with no facts whatsoever to make your point.

It's called multi-tasking. Yes, I would consider this rather low hanging fruit, but when your team multi-tasks, low hanging fruit would be one way to get the biggest bang for your buck, time-wise. That is true of many products. Personally if I can throw in a feature with little effort during the course of a work day to make a better product, I'm certainly going to do that.

Maybe you're unclear about the usefulness of those little extra features to some merchants.

And then there are these silly things called priorities, in which some problems should not be solved until a larger problem is solved that those other features tie into. Delivery is one of those situations.

[Edit: typo, imperfect human being]

:) I think I made my point Dart.

And my point on this low hanging fruit wasting ZERO time on Brooke's team is already proving itself now...

two Merchants already cannot find this announced button.  So who will support the user base now for this 5 minute low hanging fruit?

Priorities......  such a wasted effort a company or person that shoots from the hip.

No fan of Facebook and i dont see the need for.

To add about that 5 minute thing.

Companies not just add a thing, they first talk, discuss, document then changes, backup former state, pick one to do it, test ....

Even if add the button is a 5 minute thing, in big companies it take alot more time before it´s added.

That´s why i prefer working on my own :smileyhappy:

Monti

Thanks Monti - Dart wouldnt believe what I tell him... its best if others tell him that there are no 5 MINUTE CHANGES in a large organization.

But... back to my question to Brooke.....  the OFFICIAL SPOKESPERSON for LL Commerce...

Why do you say your team has no time for anything of the Merchants long list of changes yet you authorize your team to WASTE TIME on a Facebook button which I did not hear ANY Merchant requested?

My suspicion is that this change was mandated from Sr. LL Marketing Team who has a strong love affair and longing desire to be more like Facebook.  I suspect I know the person in LL that told Brooke to make this happen.  Amanda Linden.... is this your request to Brooke's team?

Since you referenced social networking...going to drop a few questions here.

Will the social networking system that you just opened up be set to show in a google search?  if someone has it set to public?  web wide without a log-in?  Will those pages with topics enter a google search? 

Will our avatar names and the names of others participating in the thread start showing up in google search as the forum pages do?

Those are merchant/business related questions that effect marketing.

Could you please give a department name in which to submit questions concerning the forum pages and forum profile pages that have started appearing the last few weeks in a google search?  Not having luck with the department I chose.

Thank you.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

:)

I think I made my point Dart.

And my point on this low hanging fruit wasting ZERO time on Brooke's team is already proving itself now...

two Merchants already cannot find this announced button.  So who will support the user base now for this 5 minute low hanging fruit?

Priorities......  such a wasted effort a company or person that shoots from the hip.

Right, so let me make my point. The button can be found on any product detail page, in the bottom right margin of the page.

Community help, a simple asking for where that button might be found.

There's feedback and then there's something that sounds like it needs a marriage counseler. They would probably tell you the first step in communication is to forget the past and stop playing the blame game in order to be able to have a healthy relationship.

For the record, I get the difference between cut and pasting some code onto a static web page and rolling that same bit out on a larger system. I mean really, you had to resort to reading that into a simple statement? That's another point. I can take any two of your posts, compare them and pull some conflicting nonsense from thin air. Heck, I can do that to a single sentence of yours.

Much rather have a conversation than play advocate to movie critics, if you follow.

Hi Brooke,

I do have questions regarding this change. I am not a user of FB or Twitter or other social networks - SL is my social network (I don't even like the new "Feed" feature added to the webprofiles and turned it off as soon as it was introduced. I know I am not alone.)

So here's my question: Is this new "widget" something that each Merchant needs to enable on their items? I ask because your post says "using our AddThis widget" which makes it sound optional. I hope it is. From other posts in this thread, it seems Merchants don't know where that widget is, so some further instructions would help.

As I said, I hope this is something that is optional to enable. If people talk about my Brand on their own, that's beyond my control, BUT I do not want them talking about my Brand originating from my SL Marketplace Store (if that makes sense). It is my Brand, my IP rights, and I am the only one who should be controlling them.

Rose Mackie wrote:

Toy, Thank you for using me to illustrate your point. Now can you tell me where it is?

LOL thank you Rose.... and as for your question.... dont ask me.  Dart is LL's Support Person for LL Commerce 5 Minute button adds.

PS... so LL Commerce Team has the time to put in a "5 minute change" to link its SLM Market site to Facebook, but to date, - and even though I have mentioned this as one of the silliest missing features in sSLM on a few occassions - LL Commerce Team still has not developed a link from SLM to its own main
site.

Low hanging fruit? lol

Woohoo more useless crap for social networking.

0004.gif

Here`s a thought, why not add more cool stuff INWORLD to make the residents use Second Life, remember that place? (Its a "3D" virtual world we all joined) instead of finding more and more ways to encourage us to do anything except go inworld and interact with each other.  You will be able to do everything from the website soon, people won`t even have to bother downloading a viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.