Yay! Private parcels...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Roseysun Galicia wrote:

Wont people still be able to cam and see inside the parcel?  Or will this make everything invisible and even if they cam they wont see anything at all? 

ETA:  Oops hadn't read the entire thread and additional links.  :-)

They will, however, be able to fly over the parcel, despite ban lines, and, once inside, cam around and see what's going on.   A far better solution has been proposed in the jira by Argent Stonecutter 
  and I would encourage people to watch and vote for it.

This solution might work in some places but not all. 

I rent a skybox on a mainland SIM which is completely residential.  The Land Lord has the sky boxes staggered at various heights in order to afford every one the greatest amount of privacy.  And I have to say that the y have done a damn good job of it.  We would lose the visual "out of sight, out of mind" effect if we were forced into a narrower zone.

Flying is disabled for non residents, but we all know the cheats to get around that.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yeah.  
for further details.

According to my reading, at least, of the
 we'll be
required
to turn this on if we are using sex beds and the like in the privacy of our own homes on M land, unless the home is a skybox above a shop.   I have queried it
, but I think that's what it means.

Thanks, I am glad for this.

I'm worried about it for several reasons, not least that I think it's almost certain to lead to M-rated residential land turning into a maze of unsightly ban lines, at least if it's strictly enforced.  

Private sims won't have too much of a problem, I guess, because they can simply reflag as adult and keep the same covenant as they did before, making it clear that just because it's an adult sim, that doesn't mean "anything goes" (that's what I did with my sims when maturity ratings were first introduced, so neither my tenants nor I had to worry about new rules, and I've not regretted it), but on the Mainland, that's not an option.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yeah.  
for further details.

we'll be
required
to turn this on if we are using sex beds and the like in the privacy of our own homes on M land, unless the home is a skybox above a shop.   I have queried it

I'm worried about it for several reasons, not least that I think it's almost certain to lead to M-rated residential land turning into a maze of unsightly ban lines, at least if it's strictly enforced.  

Private sims won't have too much of a problem, I guess, because they can simply reflag as adult and keep the same covenant as they did before, making it clear that just because it's an adult sim, that doesn't mean "anything goes" (that's what I did with my sims when maturity ratings were first introduced, so neither my tenants nor I had to worry about new rules, and I've not regretted it), but on the Mainland, that's not an option.

I thought enabling this feature does not create ban lines, only enables me to change outfits in privacy without the need to make sure no one is around?

and besides, ban lines can be made invisible through preferences, correct?

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yeah.  
for further details.

we'll be
required

I thought enabling this feature does not create ban lines, only enables me to change outfits in privacy without the need to make sure no one is around?

and besides, ban lines can be made invisible through preferences, correct?

Sorry, I didn't make myself  clear.   The draft FAQ, if I've properly understood them, seem to suggest that we'll be required both to hide avatars AND restrict access if we want to have sex beds inside private buildings on the mainland, at least at ground level.    

And yes, ban lines can be made invisible through preferences, but that means you'll keep on bouncing off invisible obstacles, since parcel boundaries aren't normally at all obvious in the way walls round buildings are.    Certainly most private residential sims I know actually forbid the use of ban lines, telling people to use security orbs with a decent warning time if they must (that's what I tell my tenants to do).

It doesn't really affect me, since I don't spend much time on the mainland, but I can't see it enhancing the environment, while I can easily see it doing the opposite.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

oh. ok. 

but making myself invisible in my parcel will not create ban lines, right?

No, not on its own.  Though if you don't somehow indicate to people they're not supposed to enter, or make it impossible for them so to do, then there's always the risk they'll just be strolling along and suddenly you and they will get a suprise as you both materialise for each other unexpectedly.

I think they're most useful for skyboxes, where people should know they're not supposed to go uninvited, or for smaller sub-parcels that just enclose the house (or even rooms within it).

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

oh. ok. 

but making myself invisible in my parcel will not create ban lines, right?

No, not on its own.  Though if you don't somehow indicate to people they're not supposed to enter, or make it impossible for them so to do, then there's always the risk they'll just be strolling along and suddenly you and they will get a suprise as you both materialise for each other unexpectedly.

I think they're most useful for skyboxes, where people should know they're not supposed to go uninvited, or for smaller sub-parcels that just enclose the house (or even rooms within it).

lol, true. :)

I will keep an eye out on my mini map

and yes, I inhabit a small sky platform so I think it will be useful for my situation. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.