Yay! Private parcels...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just read on SLU that we can turn on parcel privacy! Gotta turn it on with the official V2 viewer though. Under the 'about land' options you can disable the 'see and chat with residents on this parcel' which basically makes you disappear to everyone outside your parcel and vice versa. I just tried it. I always have this neighbor that appears every time I go to my skybox. Now I know they can't see me. Not that I'm doing anything... :matte-motes-delicious:

Yeah.  See the KB article for further details.

According to my reading, at least, of the draft revision of the FAQ about Adult Content, we'll be required to turn this on if we are using sex beds and the like in the privacy of our own homes on M land, unless the home is a skybox above a shop.   I have queried it in the discussion section, but I think that's what it means.

Yeah this was in a recent blog announcement, I think.

You can turn it on so that within ANY size parcel, IIRC, any avatar inside it is invisible. Also, any sounds are heard only in that parcel.

I'm trying to decide if or how I will implement this in my public spaces. I know what many will  use that for...but at the same time, if a party happens in a parcel and no one  hears it, did it happen?

Lol

thats another ridiculous decision by LL......if they really want to make the grid viable (encourage growth and development) then giving residents the option to go into 'stealth' modus is not what I see as a good step towards social networking. If people are so in need to hide from others why don't they disappear completely.....but hey we have 'feeds' now, why do we need a grid in fact? :matte-motes-dont-cry: *meows*

earlier today at the labs: "good decision huh ..... LMAOOOOOOOOOO"

timthumb.php.jpg

or maybe it was this team who made the decision: "OU OU OU .... monkey say, monkey do"

monkeys.jpg

Wildcat Furse wrote:

thats another ridiculous decision by LL......if they really want to make the grid viable (encourage growth and development) then giving residents the option to go into 'stealth' modus is not what I see as a good step towards social networking. If people are so in need to hide from others why don't they disappear completely.....but hey we have 'feeds' now, why do we need a grid in fact? :matte-motes-dont-cry: *meows*

People don't want to be social on a 'world' level all the time. It's the same thing as skyboxes, security orbs or banlines. Most people don't want to live on a stage or reality TV show, so LL are giving the residents what they (the collective 'they') want. SL's needed a feature like this since its creation.

Not everything is a 'ridiculous decision by LL'.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Wildcat Furse wrote:

People don't want to be social on a 'world' level all the time. It's the same thing as skyboxes, security orbs or banlines. Most people don't want to live on a stage or reality TV show, so LL are giving the residents what they (the collective 'they') want. SL's needed a feature like this since its creation.

Not everything is a 'ridiculous decision by LL'.

Right. Thanks.

Wow. Common sense in the forums?? :-)

Wildcat Furse wrote:

People have been complaining for  as long as I've been around that they don't like folks camming into their skyboxes or houses and watching them changing or bonking or whatever.   This goes some way to mitigating the problem.  What's so ridiculous with that?

Perrie Juran wrote:

When this feature is fully added and implemented AND REQUIRED the next step will be for the lab to allow the Teens onto moderate land.

That's quite possible. Another step down the road of cleaning up SL and making it more family- and corporate-friendly.

While I'm strongly against the disneyfication of SL, I do hope that LL will start cleaning up the M-rated mainland at some point and do something about the many businesses that sell adult content in moderate regions, usually in sims that border on G-rated regions. Not that I'm concerned about the kids, who shouldn't be here to begin with, but I'd like to see a level playing field for adult content providers.

As for residential areas, the ability to hide avatars is a step in the right direction, but it just isn't enough. A lot of adult furniture rezzes all kinds of toys and props that will still be visible, and there are a lot of adult-rated animated prim dolls and props nowadays. Besides, I don't know if it's a good idea to make the old pre-Zindra mainland appear even more deserted than it already is. It probably won't improve the abysmally low user detention rate.

Roseysun Galicia wrote:

Wont people still be able to cam and see inside the parcel?  Or will this make everything invisible and even if they cam they wont see anything at all? 

ETA:  Oops hadn't read the entire thread and additional links.  :-)

They will, however, be able to fly over the parcel, despite ban lines, and, once inside, cam around and see what's going on.   A far better solution has been proposed in the jira by Argent Stonecutter https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-2390?  and I would encourage people to watch and vote for it.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yeah.  
for further details.

According to my reading, at least, of the
 we'll be
required
to turn this on if we are using sex beds and the like in the privacy of our own homes on M land, unless the home is a skybox above a shop.   I have queried it
, but I think that's what it means.

Thanks, I am glad for this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.