Thoughts on first build?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1) not a bad first effort at all, there are things you can do to improve it for various scenarios*

2) that is entirely up to you, my best suggestion is to play around with applying textures you have, which will give you a good idea of how offsets and repeats work. and how they wrap.

3) I'm not qualified to say, since I'm not int the housing market. I can that that existing builders probably won't buy being able to create similar themselves, unless the textureing is better than what they can do. non-builders may pay a smal amount for it if it's textured nicely, but many have been trained to only buy complete builds.

*low prim models would need to replace all the posts with a separate prim, with the posts texture on it. it's actually possible to do something almost as realistic using a single prim and some creative custom textures. this would also have the advantage of being extendable without increasing prim count.

Full prim realistic models would need extra details, like banister ends, and perhaps scultped posts

• Like 1

A good start and nice to see someone looking past the basics of a prim to see what they do.

It's a Torus/Ring you made and twisted it.  Pretty basic spiral stair design that we have been doing for some time for low prim builds.

Add a house to it and then you have a sellable product since this in and of itself is not really a build but a component to a build.

Texturing is an art and IMHO, the key to good building as all building does is create the framework for images.  Become a good texture artist first and from there, anything is possible.  The shape is the easy part.

Good luck on your venture and I am sure you will learn much.

Congrats!  Welcome to the wonderful world of building in SL.

1) If that is your first build,you did a nice job of it.  It took me months when I first started building to create something like that.  I think I spent my time  making fountains and step staircases getting use to the tools and figuring out how to texture.

2) What to texture it with is up to you.  Many places in world offer classes on building and  texturing.Try doing a search in-world under events then refining to education.   I would suggest taking a few of those. Also, check out the various wikis available...googling SL Texturing or some derivative should bring up useful information for you.

3)  Would I buy this? Not to discourage you, but no, I personally wouldn't buy this.  I have no need for it.  I can make it myself as can many other beginning builders.  If you put it inside of a nicely built house or building textured well,as previously suggested, I might consider it.  It has nothing to do with your work it is more to do with 1) I  don't like the looks of that type of staircase and wouldn't buy from anyone; 2) I would use something less primmy like a sculpty staircase; 3) I can make it myself.  I buy products that I can't make myself like sculpt maps, meshes, animations, poses, or scripts to enhance what I build.

I think you have a good start and encourage you to continue.  I find building in SL a nice creative outlet for me, albeit it can be quite expensive.

Yes, this.

Patronis: your "first build" shows, that your imagination is intact, and that you are willing to explore the posibilitys of Prim building.

As for texturing: It is indeed an Art, and textures can "make or break" a build. If you are able to create good textures, and apply them well, you can basicly slap a few prims togehter and make them look good by proper texturing.

I would highly suggest joining the Builders Brewery group (just search for Builders Brewery). Thats where I first went to learn how to build and they were invaluable.

If you fancy jumping in at the deep end, take a look at the mesh forums, its pretty advanced stuff compared to prim building but the benefits of mesh models are potentially huge :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.