I am trying to Download the 2.8.1 viewer but it wont run

Doctor Bernard

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am unable to get the new viewer to complete its instalation, it seems to be a scripting error about 3/4 of the way through and I have to abort....help

I am running winows 7 and during installation i get...

"Error for opening file for writing" during the instalation, whereby I have to click the abort popup and then get "cant write c:\programfileas\secondlifeviewer\zlib1.dll"

I have never had any problems installing new v2 updates before

2 answers to this question

Hello Doctor. Some infos for your system's stats would be helpful  for a better answer. The cause is maybe your graphics card or something else. You can edit your post (options --> edit) if you wish. For now, try to download and install an older version of Viewer 2 and set your software updates NO to be installed automatically. (Preferences --> Setup --> Hardware). You can find older versions at the following link:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes

The older versions of V2 are still active on the production grid, but are not formally supported by Linden Lab Customer Support.

Good luck

EDIT: Please check out this.

Basically it could be 3 reasons:

1.) The file is currently being accessed by another process. Usually a restart should clear the lock on the file.

2.) Permission error. Access to c:\program files under Windows 7 is only possible with Administrator permissions. Maybe the installer didn't request Administrator permissions properly.

3.) Physical defect on the hard disc where the file is stored. Quick workaround would be to rename the file so a new copy will be written on a different physical location on your hard disc. If that is the case, you should consider running a full check of the disc with the tools of the hard disc manufacturer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.