Avoiding llHTTPRequest POST injection attacks

Tommy Rampal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey again guys,

So pretty much I have a llHTTPRequest script that works with a listen that checks to see if the username is registered; whether or not it is registered to the user's key. I've managed to get it all working but I managed to recreate some sort of breach/break by saying 'whateverusername&postdata=...'. Normally it validates the username through the PHP script but in this case, a user can inject post data and bypass it - potentially being malicious.

I assume that the string can be validated before it is passed to my web server (all & characters are to be removed), but is there any other security measures I should take that I could be unaware of? I'm familiar with mysql parameter binding and prepared statements to prevent SQL injection.

I kicked myself after I found out about llEscapeURL and llUnescapeURL - it can be pretty much used for the same purpose as  bind_param() in php. So if someone types 'test&uhoh=100000' (say it's a game statistic), it'd actually be posted as 'test%26uhoh%3D100000'. The length validation was in place, but I was unaware of the overflow breach, thanks for the heads up!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.