SL and IQ

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

there arent any scientific studies to suggest that traits or sexual orientation are co-related to higher or lower IQ's.

we all like to think we are a cut above the rest.

there are thinkers..then there are those   of us that know :P

LOL sorry i couldn't resist hehehe

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Having seen the huge population boom of '07 and partially in '08, I've seen an amazing selection of people come and go. One of the things I began to love during that time was seeing people who
didn't
understand Second Life, virtual worlds, asset servers, and the rest of the balony.

SL (being computer-based technology) was initially quite limited in the types of people it attracted; mostly art/tech-types, some RL-escapists and a handful of educators (and some exceptions). Over time (and with help from projects like CSI, Gossipgirl, RFL, a billion other RL-newsworthy happenings) people started to wander over to see what was happening. '07 and '08 was FULL of people who were
consumers
of content, rather than the pioneers who quickly became creators.

People initially needed high IQs (and/or high determination, and probably a handful of other factors) to 'get' SL, and even more to stick with it for a year or more. I'm glad we've reached the point where the bar is much lower, it makes the world a far richer place. A low IQ isn't leprosy, having a low one isn't necessarily a bad thing (averages after-all imply that 50% must fall below the bar), it just means people have to work harder to understand this bizarre world of ours. SL makes people smarter, turns the computer-illiterate into expert troubleshooters (I mean, you'd have to be), and even the fashion-unconcious eventually become master prim-resizers.

The trick is encouraging growth regardless of the numbers people assign to them. People are awesome.

Hmm. Being one of those '08ers, I'm a little humbled by learning the bar had been lowered by the time I got here. I had to spend quite a lot of time learning and still do. I must be even blonder than I thought.:smileyhappy:

And yes: people are awesome.

Haha~ I hope you didn't read anything too negative in my post.

By 'the bar' I mean the barrier between SL being a 'niche' product and a 'mainstream' product. Niche products are most often adopted by hobbyists and enthusiasts with a direct and cultivated interest in the field (which considering SL, would make them techies/geeks/nerds), whereas mainstream products are easily adopted and understood. While '08 wouldn't make you a 'pioneer' (honestly being an '06, I missed the gold rush too) but SL has never been a very accessible place.

Anyone who hangs in here for a reasonable length of time must therefore either be pretty smart, or pretty crazy. Perhaps time will tell which? =]

Editted to clarify.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

By 'the bar' I mean the barrier between SL being a 'niche' product and a 'mainstream' product. Niche products are most often adopted by hobbyists and enthusiasts with a direct and cultivated interest in the field (which considering SL, would make them techies/geeks/nerds), whereas mainstream products are easily adopted and understood. While '08 wouldn't make you a 'pioneer' (honestly being an '06, I missed the gold rush too) but SL has never been a very accessible place.

Anyone who hangs in here for a reasonable length of time must therefore either be pretty smart, or pretty crazy. Perhaps time will tell which? =]

Editted to clarify.

in my 4 years i have met many people in SL.

some have been pretty smart, and some pretty crazy, most have been what i would call average, this echos real life.

to suggest that there is some diference between those who use SL and those who don't is quite bizarre in my opinion.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Editted to clarify.

in my 4 years i have met many people in SL.

some have been pretty smart, and some pretty crazy, most have been what i would call average, this echos real life.

to suggest that there is some diference between those who use SL and those who don't is quite bizarre in my opinion.

i would agree..i think it may attract some people with high IQ's but i doubt it is giving people IQ points hehehe

if not careful it can deduct them  lol

As has been mentioned, just being a kook or weirdo does not automatically indicate a high IQ. 

But to discriminate by IQ is still discrimination.  I don't believe that most people would seriously think less of another person to the degree of not being friends with them or not wanting to live next door to them due to a few points of difference in "IQ" (which is a dubious criteria in the first place). 

Void Singer wrote:

really wish people wouldn't use the word "discrimination" indiscriminately. it has more applications than meaning "treated unfairly for unethical or irrelevant reasons"

/end rant

That. We all discriminate based on looks, intelligence, education, sense of humor etc. when we make friends or search for partners. The latter could even be labeled eugenics, which makes as much sense as calling it discrimination.

Ganelon Darkfold wrote:

As has been mentioned, just being a kook or weirdo does not automatically indicate a high IQ. 

But to discriminate by IQ is still discrimination.  I don't believe that most people would seriously think less of another person to the degree of not being friends with them or not wanting to live next door to them due to a few points of difference in "IQ" (which is a dubious criteria in the first place). 

it's not discrimination..it's stupidity and lack of common sense.

everyone has somethig to teach..some experience that someone hasn't lived through and experienced..a story to tell..

there are a lot of good will huntings out there..they don't hold a candle to experience..

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

there are a lot of good will huntings out there..they don't hold a candle to experience..

I love that movie, but Good Will Hunting 2 was a bit of a letdown.

that was from jay and silent bob wasn't it? lol

i loved that part hehehehe

ETA: it's so old that they are already planning the remake after cesar takes over the world and apes rule..

here is the trailer on hold till Cesar's rise..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Ganelon Darkfold wrote:

everyone has somethig to teach..some experience that someone hasn't lived through and experienced..a story to tell..

we select friends and partners with similar IQ's and lifestyles and we have a natural right to do that.

i dont have time for fools and their tales, life is short, they can find their own friends and partners on their own level.

no one gets hurt anyway.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Ganelon Darkfold wrote:

we select friends and partners with similar IQ's and lifestyles and we have a natural right to do that.

i dont have time for fools and their tales, life is short, they can find their own friends and partners on their own level.

no one gets hurt anyway.

everyone has a right to be on whatever level they wish to put themselves on..date who they want or associate with who they want..

i never said anything otherwise..everyone is free to set their own limits to however high or low they want them..

setting them low  is certainly not something worth bragging about..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Ganelon Darkfold wrote:

no one gets hurt anyway.

everyone has a right to be on whatever level they wish to put themselves on..date who they want or associate with who they want..

i never said anything otherwise..everyone is free to set their own limits to however high or low they want them..

setting them low  is certainly not something worth bragging about..

very true, but how many people do you associate with by choice that are obviously below your intellectual level?

Ceka Cianci wrote:

that was from jay and silent bob wasn't it? lol

i loved that part hehehehe

ETA: it's so old that they are already planning the remake after cesar takes over the world and apes rule..

here is the trailer on hold till Cesar's rise..

Yup, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back :) The only J + SB movie I've ever seen, unless I count Dogma. Aside from Dogma, I'm not much of a Kevin Smith fan.

PS: Loved the GWH remake :)

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i just found this and it's really strange lol

I first thought "cucumber". I wonder what Freud would have made of that :matte-motes-bored: Then I thought: "oh wait, that is a fruit. But aren't many vegetables actually fruits? After all, 'vegetable' is an utterly arbitrary and unscientific classification. Are there any vegetables that aren't fruits in the botanical taxonomy? Hmm...  root vegetables perhaps, such as carrots". That was spooky.

Ishy! You ruined it! I read through all the comments before I played it, so naturally I had to think of something that was neither carrot nor cucumber, having read your post. I assume the most common response is carrot?

BTW after rejecting the two aforementioned I came up with 'tomato' which is a fruit. They tell me. Some days  you just can't win.

very true, but how many people do you associate with by choice that are obviously below your intellectual level?

i don't feel i put people on those kinds of levels..and i sure don't put myself above people..not unless they are some sort of danger to me or some kind of hater or molder trying to mold me or others  to their ways..

to say the truth a lot of people seem to put themselves on levels.. if anything i don't believe they should be limiting themselves so easily..

i see someone not tapping into their potential..not someone less than me or more than me..

it's one thing if they are content and happy..but if they are unhappy and thinking they are less than others..i just think they need someone to let them know they don't have to follow the general rules that are imposed by those that would make someone feel less than they actually are..

i don't limit myself like that..i just can't..i would have missed a lot of education and a lot of wisedom from people that a lot would consider less intelligent than themselves..

i don't believe in stations/levels..

sure we have to deal with people that live by those kind of rules..but it doesn't mean we all  go by those rules..

i've lived in the inner city of chicago..in the suburbs..i've lived on the ranch and in this small town..thats a wide variety of people from different ways of life..

one thing that seems consistant in all of those places is that there are a lot of people that just accept that they have to fall into this certain role and limit themselves to the station that everyone tells them they are at..then they just settle in..

the day i think i someone can't teach me a lesson is the day i become stupid..the day i start thinking i am better than you or anybody else or that people are better than me is the day i should just step infront of a train... because life would be pretty freaking borning after being broken like a horse in the training ring..

i associate with people that a lot would consider are on many different levels..some people don't care for that and decide not to associate with me anymore..that or they think their son shoudl have never dated me beause i am different and fall into some general rule of thumb that they saw on tv or where ever..oh well thats their loss not mine if they follow those rules.. for me variety is the spice of life for a reason.. it adds so much taste to it..

Aaaaanyways my first real post was harsh..i shouldn't be calling anyone stupid but myself for posting the way i did..

i don't think anyone is stupid here at all..it was just a lash out at the internet and past things long before these forums that went through my mind when reading the post i responded to..i was stupid..there i said it..

ready for the tar and feathers..it won't be the first time *raises her hands above her head* begin  Oo

i watched it and it was right ..i was like ..how the heck did that have anything to do with triggereing what i would say..

i bet there is some simple explination that will make me be all like..omg why didn't i see that?

i just hope saying carrot means something good lol

ETA: i think it is just that some will say carrot and they get tricked into thinking it's some math trick..where others not picking carrot are like..bleh it didn't work..

i was reading the comments and i think i have been trolled on youtube because of  being one of the ones that thought carrot LOL

the comments are really funny though  lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.