RedZone Creator Jailed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

you managed to read exactly the opposite of what I posted... I dunno how, but you did.

@Ceka:
No, outing alts within SL has always been against ToS, but it has never been (and still isn't) against ToS to do it outside of SL.

What changed is that it is now against ToS to systematically gather that information from within SL for the purpose of reporting it outside of SL

being fair to RedZone customers, they didnt brought the product because they were evil, they brought the product because they were unsafe from the attacks of griefers, i agree with Dak that if land owners have the right to kick and ban people from their land, they should have the right to ip ban them or mac ban them.

a simple checkbox next to the ban interface would do the trick,

[   ] IP Ban

[   ] MAC Ban

that would give more control and security to land owners.

I was agreeing with your post right up to "that would give more control and security to land owners", because it wouldn't.  My (mild) objection to RedZone before the nefarious activities came to light was that it simply didn't work.

• Too many false-positives: from all the people using a shared network (colleges, military bases, etc)
  • Too many false-negatives: from the dynamic IP-allocation most ISPs use

But ... let's not have this tired discussion yet again.  It's gone and good riddance.

Void Singer wrote:

you managed to read exactly the opposite of what I posted... I dunno how, but you did.

@Ceka:

No, outing alts
within
SL has always been against ToS, but it has
never
been (and still isn't) against ToS to do it
outside
of SL.

What changed is that it is now against ToS to systematically gather that information from within SL for the purpose of reporting it outside of SL

i wasn't really posting to you so maybe thats why you felt i may have went a different direction than what you were saying..

i'm more than aware that you can comprehend things hehehehe

why do people keep thinking i am posting to someone else when i am posting to the one i quote? this is the second time this week that someone has thought this..

i wasn't  trying to necro  you hehehe

i was more referring to Soft Linden and what was posted to the jira..Soft's words.."the CS was updated to more explicitly state that alts are protected from disclosure".

i don't believe spyware was ever allowed really..

but i could be wrong..i don't have an old copy of the TOS just an old copy of the CS..thats what i was going from..

sorry for the mixup hehehe

Ceka Cianci wrote:

but i could be wrong..i don't have an old copy of the TOS just an old copy of the CS..thats what i was going from..

no worries, I was just doing a general reply to the statement.... sadly "spyware" (after a certain fashion) is still allowable really.... just reporting details of the results is not. for instance ban shares are a particularly low tech method, but still allowable.

LL could clear the problem up with little effort, but at a cost (which they could market as a service but I don't see it happening since they seem to have taken the road of making even responsible use harder in their policies... there are directions they could have gone that would have made everybody happy (well except the griefers and thieves) but they went into knee jerk mode and screwed everyone as far as I can see =/

Void Singer wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

no worries, I was just doing a general reply to the statement.... sadly "spyware" (after a certain fashion) is still allowable really.... just reporting details of the results is not. for instance ban shares are a particularly low tech method, but still allowable.

LL could clear the problem up with little effort, but at a cost (which they could market as a service but I don't see it happening since they seem to have taken the road of making even responsible use harder in their policies... there are directions they could have gone that would have made everybody happy (well except the griefers and thieves) but they went into knee jerk mode and screwed everyone as far as I can see =/

they are saying that some kind of change is sposed to be happening in october..so maybe  it will be something that makes us all happy..

i can't believe i actually just said that lol

it would be nice though =)

• 6 months later...

That is total bull**bleep** and you know it ,griefers are usually hackers and run on a proxy server so no one can get thier true IP anyone with half a brain knows this.I do cause have fought hard against griefers i used to live at prim works the only god dam thing redzone was good for was for detecting others alts and finding their RL location and thats just so **bleep**ed up because there are alot of ppl that wish to visit sex sims n **bleep** with out others knowing who they are or where they are i have had some RL friends recently have their IPs hacked buy SL spy **bleep** ,suppose your kid a daughter if you will gets on sl without you knowing and picks up a stalker that was using a redzone type of system and he starts to call your house for her asking her for sex and no matter what you did or said to the **bleep** he would not stop until the police got involved  would you still premote RZ and similar devices then ?. if you say yes then you are genuinely warped or just a liar, hacking innocent people's account is just plain scummy and would love to get my burely grubby hands on them for 5 minutes .just 5 minutes alone ,just give it to me and i swear i would beat them so god dam bad they will be bleeding from their rectum ,but naaa they are slimy cowards and are real brave behind a computer when they think i can't find them which i cant because i'm not a computer geek hacker redzone user piece of **bleep** scumbag And oh yea PS why am i so pissed off to the point of wanting to beat them ? because it happend to a room mate that lives with us thats why but now he is in jail and permantly banned from SL and even owning a computer in RL you see once the rl cops get involved and Linden Labs gets a judge ordered search of their systems to find a scumbag for cyberhacking from a system designed on their site it has a effect on them 'hmmmmm notice the new securiy changes ? trust me the feds are now investigating the entire site you will see alot more security in the near future 

Sorry about the anger but let this happen to someone you know and love and lets see how much you are  for redzone type systems and oh woukd you presonlly like to have your RL address your RL info hacked ? i'm betting not and as i said most griefers 99% of them use a proxy server so LL can't ban their IP everyone knows this nope you just liked spying on people if you are for redzone type systems and yes the best thing would be for lindens to allow IP banning but not giving the info to te banner just the choice to ban by IP through LL But it still will not help because again most griefers are hackers themselves ad have their IP's hidden thats why we can't get rid of them red zone or not and also ppl where not just banning from their own sim which i see np with iam a land owner myself ,but these creeps where banning people from anywhere they were in sl and that in itself was really just plain scummy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.