Deploys for the week of 2011-08-01

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For those keeping track today is my rez day! I am now THREE years old! It seems like just yesterday I was having my new linden training in SF. A lot has changed since then. New stuff coming up this week outlined in this post. Have a good week.

Second Life Server (main channel)
  • This is the "Improved HTTP service" project from Magnum.
  • We reorganized the structure of various webservices hosted on the simhosts. In particular those associated with servicing a Capabilities requests. These are involved in operations such as HTTP Texture fetch, some inventory operations and uploading of assets.
  • Details in the release notes.

2011-08-02, 5:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/11

Second Life RC BlueSteel
  • New Features
    • Enhancements for marketplace item delivery.
  • Bug Fixes
    • Fix for SVC-7104 "Granting/revoking perms broken for non-web-profile viewers"
    • Fix for SVC-7059 "(Spanish) [DATE I18N] Date in English in Group profile > Terreno/Bienes > L$ del grupo > Detalles tab and Ventas tab"
    • Fix for SVC-7067 "Postcards sent from LeTigre sims fail with error code also can not upload sound files on LeTigre"
    • Fix for SVC-6973 "France Villas Sim, we have been having MAJOR issues on this sim since the last update on the Havok software..We presently have 4 open tickets on it and TJ linden said to file a bug report"
    • Changed logging for TIMEWARP issues.
    • Removed some unused IM code.

2011-08-02, 8:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/11

Second Life RC LeTigre
LeTigre will contain MESH SERVER with MESH ENABLED. LeTigre will roll THURSDAY MORNING.
  • Mesh objects can be uploaded
  • Child prims can be set to have no collision shape (do not contribute to collision of object)
  • Objects that use the features above (mesh shapes or non-colliding parts) will have prim cost calculated based on actual impact to the parcel/region rather than simple count.
  • Max prim scale has been raised to 64m on a side
  • New physics engine
    • Overhaul how collision shapes are constructed and stored in memory.
    • 10 cm gap between colliding objects has been removed for most objects:
      • For convex prims (dynamic and static)
      • Concave prims (static only)
      • For small prims ( <~0.2m on a side ) it can't be completely removed so those objects may still exhibit a gap, but it will typically be smaller than it was before the change.
  • Parcel-full return sort order has changed: most recently "changed" get returned first, but still grouped by OTHER, GROUP, and OWNER in that order.

2011-08-03, 9:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/11

Second Life RC Magnum
The release scheduled for this channel was not ready in time and we decided to roll this regions with the Mesh project as well. Magnum will roll THURSDAY MORNING.

2011-08-02, 08:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/11

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. ( https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

That avatar visibility project on BlueSteel looks pretty sweet. Pocket universes, at least in terms of avatars and local chat.  Finally we can have a little privacy by going into the next room. (assuming we parcel off the room).

/me starts rethinking her house's layout with this feature in mind.:matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

One question: How will the parcel settings affect talking/shouting objects and attachments?

• Lindens

The hidden avatars feature (and the new control for gesture sounds) has already rolled to the main grid and all the RC channels.   It should be available on any parcel, but you need to be the owner or have the group permissions to edit parcel settings.  You'll need the 2.8 viewer or one based on the new code to change the settings.  There is more information at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Hiding_avatars_and_restricting_avatar_sounds

Simon Linden wrote:

The hidden avatars feature (and the new control for gesture sounds) has already rolled to the main grid and all the RC channels.   It should be available on any parcel, but you need to be the owner or have the group permissions to edit parcel settings.  You'll need the 2.8 viewer or one based on the new code to change the settings.  There is more information at

and it works at high altitudes too (tested it as such), not just ground-to-300m as do access permissions.  I'm finding this very useful.  Thank you.

@Oskar

Update on Woods of Heaven and......all is good and stable.  Sim No. unchanged as expected, server version is as in the updated notes.  I noticed a version change a few hours before release and rolls, I assume another bug was caught prior to roll.  Nice one Team, thankyou.:matte-motes-grin:

Void Singer wrote:

Oskar Linden wrote:
  • Fix to prevent LSL scripts from using non-finite numbers in physical functions.

please tell me that means no more goofy nan/inf casts, and not breaking posJump... pretty please

Oh gosh, this this this. I assumed it meant things like llRezObject(objectName, pos, infiniteVel, rotation, rezparam);

Which when done in Mono can break some LSL scripts that detect the rezzed object's velocity. 

If it breaks posJump I'll be very upset.

:: nods :: posJump relies on an internal calculation that yields infinity, so I'm scared.... I have a great many things that rely on it because there really aren't any sane alternatives. (oodly enough you can't inject infinity from the start, it HAS to be done in the calculation by the server)

if it's just functions no longer accepting it like in the case of velocity, then cool, one security flaw nixed, if it's an end to those silly broken casts that we can't actually evaluate without the script blowing up, then yay... death of posJump? I don't have enough hair to rip out.

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

I guess it will get more clear when we can play with them, but what will we get with llSetVelocity vs. llSetForce and llSetRotationalVelocity vs. llSetTorque?

It instantly sets the object's velocity or rotational velocity (if thats the correct term) to that speed. You don't have to work with llGetMass or get the current velocity. 

Example, you have an object at 150 m/s that you want to be at 100 m/s. You can just do llSetVelocity(<100.0, 0.0, 0.0>, 1);

Instead of doing llApplyImpulse((<100.0, 0.0, 0.0>*llGetRot() - llGetVel()) * llGetMass(), 0);

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.