If you use my.secondlife.com feel free to add me as a Friend

Opensource Obscure

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A few days ago, the new web-profile-based SL official social network went live:

http://my.secondlife.com

You can access and use it with your favorite web browser, or with SL Viewer 2.8 (where it's natively embedded in user profiles). Leave a message to your friends, have conversations with them while you're not-inworld, share interesting SL locations when you're wandering through the grid, etc.

I want to add to my Friendlist more people who use or are going to use the SL social network: if this applies to you, feel free to add me as a Friend:

https://my.secondlife.com/opensource.obscure

Having active friends in the social network makes sense because the 'Home' feed includes activities from your friends

PS:
if you don't want anybody to see your Profile Feed -or write on it- go to https://my.secondlife.com/settings/privacy and set 'Feed' to 'Nobody'.

PS:
if you reply only to whine "this is stupid i don't need it", you will lose your hair.

I do have a bit of a question about that, since my av is on Facebook.  Awhile back, LL was promoting Facebook and the Facebook connection but, the next thing I am hearing from everyone is that anyone with an obvious av is getting deleted.  Did LL not make an arrangement with FB to not have that occur or did they think about it before doing all that promoting?  Or, were we suppose to sign up with our RL names and profiles?

@Medhue-I wholeheartedly agree.  I'm forever forgetting about the new web based profiles.  A clearly marked and easy to located link to the profile area would be great.  I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only one who forgets or that quite a few are not even aware of the fact that it's been set up and it's running now.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

There is no links to it from your dashboard either. Basically, there are no direct links to it from anywhere except the viewer and from email noticfications.

I agree Medhue.  If it wasn't for Keli I would not have known these tools have been incorporated into my SL experience.  Where was the email?  Access should be implemented from ubiquitous source e.g., dashboard, in-world, forum api, mobile app for that, photoshop plug-in, browser plug-in.    

Opensource Obscure wrote:

A few days ago, the
new web-profile-based SL official social network went live:

The SL official social network? I don't think it's official, seeing that no Linden has bothered to announce it as of yet. I mean, it's nice of you to post this here, but I'm still waiting for a Linden email or announcement that goes something like:

"Hi folks, we have this new thing where everybody can write whatever they want into your SL profile and everyone else can read it! The only person who won't be able to see all the nasty things that your ex-lovers, stalkers, forum enemies, disgruntled employees, and grumpy neighbors are spreading about you in your own profile is you yourself, because you're using third a party viewer without web profiles and you won't find your profile URL anywhere on our website! Have a nice one."

Not that it really matters, because the majority of residents are using Phoenix and Imprudence and will probably never know about this. Still, it would have been nice if LL had bothered to tell us about it in time, and even nicer if this "social network" a.k.a. "people can write stuff into your profile" was opt-in instead of opt-out. If you don't bother to inform people, at least turn it off or set the feed to "friends" by default.

PS: So this is a so-called social network then? This is what Facebook looks like? That's the kind of place where 750 million people spend a great deal of their online time? And this kind of thing, which is part of every second rate forum software nowadays, turned Zuckerberg into a billionaire? Wow. Crazy times.

Tip: quickest way to get to the social network is to open my.secondlife.com in your own web browser and then log in.

That way you don't need to remember the firstname-dot-lastname syntax.

Then you can reach your own personal profile URL by clicking the 'Profile' icon in the left side.

Thanks to those who started playing with this thing together with me!

Cio Koba wrote:

Ops! Ishy's hair is starting to fall...

Long live to The Feed!

I've started losing my hair long before I posted here, so I just shave my head and go bald nowadays :) Makes it easier to wear wigs too, which is a nice side effect. Any  additional hair loss would only reduce my maintenance work.

smile.jpg

PS: That's not me in the photo, I'm a lot skinnier and don't have any back hair.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm happy to share that the experiment is going well.

I added many users to my friendlist and had good conversations with them on my.secondlife.com.

Overall, after a few weeks, I see definitively more activity on my.secondlife.com.

Also good - new features have been added: for example now you can set your Feed so that everybody can read it, but only your Friends (or nobody at all apart you) can post or comment over it:

https://my.secondlife.com/settings/privacy -> Post on your Feed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.