We are not allowed to sell scripts and they must be in gadgets?

Poenald Palen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think this wiki article is inacurate or not worded right.Bt, maybe I am wrong and the rules are different?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Guide_to_Jobs_in_Second_Life#Scripter

Since this is an article that many new people will see...I thought I would mention it here. I am not trying to start a false alarm, I don't beleive it is right. I am almost sure you can sell scripts in a box. Box does not equal "scripted object", becuase you can turn the script off!

Anyone who has read my posts know I am sort of not a grammar nazi, or a wordsmith of the highest calibre and I am not trying to upset or argue. But, it is confusing and innaccurate and sort of important...I guess. But, uh...I sort of don't give a damn and will not edit it lol. So, I guess I am as bad as the one who wrote this? I don't think so. But thought I would point it out to anyone who has been thinking they can't sell scripts and so on and are learning LSL. Now, they will be informed and happy citizens who will not resort to ultraviolence if they can't get what they want or can't figure out what they can do because they don't want to build...of course, we all know the lag will make them so slow of mind they could never think ahead enough to even find an avatar to ultraviolently attack...so we are safe...for now!

the article isn't saying that you aren't allowed to, it's saying that in general people don't buy just scripts, because for the most part scripts that are general utility tend to be rather simple, and not of much interest on the general market.

~95% of the business I've done in SL is selling just scripts, for the most part to builders or product developers. but it is a very limited market, and effectively the same as teaming up with a builder.

ETA:
if you have a better wording, you can log into the wiki and change it, or if you are unsure if the change will be acceptable or worried about accepted practice, leave a note on the talk page (tab at the top) and make your change suggestion there

Ah, good call on the talk page stuff. I don't know much about wiki's and don't always see changes (or they sneak them in) and don't attend office hours or meetings...I do read some now and then, but yeah..I need to keep up on changes more I guess. So, fastest way is to ask here, the place where the pros help us all understand lol. So, thanks for all comments so far!

I think I understand what they mean, I talk the same way sometimes. Maybe it can be worded better though. But I am very long winded, can you imagine how that would be? I might refrain from editing anything and maybe just forget about it. There are bigger issues, just saw it and quicky rushed to post and ask...maybe they changed the rules! you never know, but I think many would have comlained if they did!

Oh, cool. Someone edited it! lol, I figured at least I would find out if there where changes, I sometimes see no changes and then it seems like everything starts to change, so I thought I would ask lol. I will check it out at least, and maybe I should try and edit it and stick to just changing some words or adding like 3-4 words? Nah, I totally mess up with grammar and punctuation...manuals of style seem to confuse me to much and I have a serious need to try and improve my writing, but never get around to making much change in it's patheticness. I should really do better, I read a bit and have several books to help with writing! Sad, I guess I am waiting for them to read themselves? lol, at least that is what an old english teacher might have said. Oh well.

But thanks! Not for me, but for the new people. When I was new I didn't find the wiki, or it wasn't around. When I found it I got much help and clarification, and still do!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.