how come it works one day but not the next..it sayes frozen or update drivers

veryvery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

1 answer to this question

I can't answer you with any certainty.  But, if things are going fine one day and suddenly they stop going fine you need to look at what changed since the last time everything was hunky dory.  Did you change anything since the last time everything was fine......if so then look there for the sudden change.  The message about needing to update a video driver and you being certain that your driver is updated is something I'd look at with a lot of suspicion.  When you update your driver you should make a note of what the driver version is (at least a mental note).  The SL viewer advising you that your driver is in need of an update and you are sure you updated it to the most recent (one that works with SL even if it's not the most current....that's something that is very likely since you don't need the most current at all.  I'm using a driver that is over 6 months old for my vidieo card right now).  If you are using a Windows machine (about 80% of  people do so that's a logical assumption on my part since you didn't state otherwise), do you have your Windows Update set to automatically download and install updates it finds when you first boot up?  And if you do then do you also have Windows Update set to install all updates it find?  That is a common setting people use........laziness on our part as users.  It' very possible Windows Update found a video driver for you video adapter and with a setting to install all updates it "updated" you driver.  Here's the catch.  The drivers Windows Update finds are often 6 months or more old...........it could have installed a driver that is outdated for you hardware.

Another possibility is that even if the video driver update was the most recent (or more current for your video adapter) it could be a driver that just does not work well with SL.  You need to set your machine up to let you make the decisions.......not the software.  You need to keep track of your drivers and not rely on some software to do it for you.  And, from experience, just because some driver is the most recent does not mean it's the one you need........don't update any driver unless you need to update it.  That's why I'm using a 6 month old driver for my video card..........there is no reason to update it at this time.  I'll do it when I need to do it (not before).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.