Is there some problem with the server right now?

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I already checked second life status site, but it doesn't mention anything going on right now. I was shopping, then suddenly disconnected (viewer didn't crash, but unable to move or do anything), and it gave a pop-up "region is experiencing difficulties", and logged me out. After that I was unable to re-log in, it keeps saying "despite our best efforts, something has gone wrong". After a few tries the viewer won't even start anymore, all it would say is "detecting hardware" - "initializing VFS", then nothing happens after that... There's nothing wrong with my connection as I'm using my computer to type on this forum now. Is anyone else experiencing trouble logging in?

No Void, this was definately an sl issue.  I live in the southern US and was on a friends region with 2 friends, both from europe.  I got the exact same thing the OP mentioned and the sl web site would not even load.  My internet connection was fine, everything else loaded fine web page wise and neither of my friends from europe were disconnected so couldnt have been a region issue and certainly wasn't an internet connection or cache issue.

It's almost like some server connections to certain places were lost on SL's end.

there are more than one server =P

and it will often tell you whether it was just a local problem (temporary service interruption, or region went down), or if it may be a wider problem (whole sections of the grid crashing, major network problems, login server died)....

from the posts I'm guessing the latter, but the former is more common

From my experience that's not SL problem, but your connection interrupted for some reason.

Those messages sometimes are general and couldn't define the problem in a specific term.

So when you see this message again first off all check if your internet connection is on.

From the SL Grid pages --

[RESOLVED] Network issues affecting regions, Log Ins, Land Store, Inworld issues

Posted by Status Desk on July 31st, 2011 at 01:18 pm PDT

[RESOLVED] All network issues have been resolved.

[postED 31 JUL 2011, 1:18PM PDT] We are currently experiencing network issues that may cause regions to fail to restart, login and teleport issues, and Landstore issues. We are working to resolve these as soon as possible. Please check this blog for updates.

Scheduled Inventory Server Maintenance

Posted by Status Desk on July 29th, 2011 at 11:17 am PDT

[Posted 29 July 2011, 11:15am PDT] We will be performing inventory server maintenance starting at 5:00am PDT Monday, August 1st. This maintenance should be completed by 5:30am. During this time, some residents will be logged off and will be temporarily unable to log in for a brief period. This maintenance may disrupt transactions and logins. Please check back here for updates.

My 'problem' was being logged off and then coming on yesterday and today to find I appear as a glowing, misty cloud and SL gives me the message that "my inventory is still loading but others will see me as clothed."

Fine... except, two days later and a swap from Phoenix to Viewer 2 and back... my main avi is still a cloud and after being logged in for two hours, my inventory still never finishes loading.. so I am a cloud supposedly wearing a ruth body.  And yet, I logged in under a different name/avatar and all came up normally and I was able to use my inventory.... so, while the Grid says 'resolved'... it may not be quite the case as yet. 

So, I suspect the second notice may or may not be also resolved.  Sometimes 'posting a fast response' gets ahead of actually 'fixing' the issue.

And yes, all caches were manually dumped and all files were offloaded and reloaded with both viewers.

While my friends said I 'looked fully clothed' -- I knew it was not a true seeing since I had rebaked to the ruth'ed shape and done a full detach all and take off all.... adn they stilll saw me as in the previous wardrobe... so bogus 'seeing'.

Figure they have had a list of 'glitches' the past week... perhaps they will get it done overnight tonight?

*fingers crossed with not alot of conviction at the moment*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.