Basic Blender Question Regarding Double Sided Textures

Ciaran Laval

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm at a very noob level with Mesh and Blender, I can make a building into a nice shape, need to figure out the finer details, such as working doors, but I'm trying to make it so that textures show on both sides of a basic cube shape, when I upload it there's nothing inside.

Now, I'm thinking that duplicating the original and flipping the faces might be the way to go, I have tried this but it didn't seem to work but I'm wondering if that's the right way to try and do it anyway or whether there's another way of doing it.

there are many options to do that:

1: you place your object from the view you like to have mirrored and make uv unwrap by project from view. it will authomaticaly mirror the uv map.

2: you mark seams and klick on faces which you want to be mirrored and unwrap. then you should look for mirror tool in uv editor.

you do mirror one part of the uv map and move it over other unmirrored part by using snap tools.. make sure that you mirrored right parts in right direction together. and snap verticles at eachother. it will help you to avoid wrong shadowsand small render faults

• Like 1

Ciaran Laval wrote:

I'm at a very noob level with Mesh and Blender, I can make a building into a nice shape, need to figure out the finer details, such as working doors, but I'm trying to make it so that textures show on both sides of a basic cube shape, when I upload it there's nothing inside.

Now, I'm thinking that duplicating the original and flipping the faces might be the way to go, I have tried this but it didn't seem to work but I'm wondering if that's the right way to try and do it anyway or whether there's another way of doing it.

You actually can turn on double-sided faces in Blender. However, that won't help your problem in SL since SL does not support double-sided faces at this time. So, the best way to handle this is to follow your first plan of duplicating the external walls, scaling the new interior walls in along the normals (Alt + S) then flipping the normals (select the faces; hit W hotkey -> Flip Normals). To make sure the normals are flipped in 2.5, hit the n key then scroll down to Mesh Display. Click the word "Face" under the Normals heading. This will display a line through each face showing the direction of the normals. After flipping, you want that line to point towards the inside of the room for the internal walls. The lines should point outwards into the world for the external walls. If you already had the external walls UV mapped, the duplicate will keep the UV layout after the process. So, there will be no need to unwrap those again. 

Another option would be using the solidify modifier. However, you will have to do unwrapping over again after applying the modifier. 

And btw, rigging does work in the new version of Blender now. But, you'll have to get a build from graphicall.org.

• Like 2

Ashasekayi Ra wrote:

Ciaran Laval wrote:

You actually can turn on double-sided faces in Blender. However, that won't help your problem in SL since SL does not support double-sided faces at this time. So, the best way to handle this is to follow your first plan of duplicating the external walls, scaling the new interior walls in along the normals (Alt + S) then flipping the normals (select the faces; hit W hotkey -> Flip Normals). To make sure the normals are flipped in 2.5, hit the n key then scroll down to
Mesh Display
. Click the word "Face" under the
Normals
heading. This will display a line through each face showing the direction of the normals. After flipping, you want that line to point towards the inside of the room for the internal walls. The lines should point outwards into the world for the external walls. If you already had the external walls UV mapped, the duplicate will keep the UV layout after the process. So, there will be no need to unwrap those again. 

Another option would be using the solidify modifier. However, you will have to do unwrapping over again after applying the modifier. 

And btw, rigging does work in the new version of Blender now. But, you'll have to get a build from graphicall.org.

Make sure you are in edit mode to turn the normals on other wise Mesh Display doesn't show up in the properties window. I got all excited then got confused and had to go look it up.

• Like 1

Zalandria Zaius wrote:

Make sure you are in edit mode to turn the normals on other wise Mesh Display doesn't show up in the properties window. I got all excited then got confused and had to go look it up.

Well it wouldn't work for me yesterday, so I gave up, tried again today after reading all the tips here again and not only did it work, I also figured out how to make sure I can make it physical so I can walk inside it. I may have been in object mode when I was trying it last night, that would explain why it wasn't behaving how I wanted.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.