Slow loading after downloading the latest version(2.8.0.236429). Help!

UnicornG Luminos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everyone, after downloading the latest version (2.8.0.236429) as required, the loading has become very slow. I tried to go to different SIMs to see if there would be a difference. But those SIMs I usually had no problem with navigating have become very heavy-loading. It's quite annoying that I couldn't go back to the previous Viewer version after the update. Did anyone also come across the same issue? How can it be resolved?

BTW, my system is Mac OSX10.6.3. Thank you...

1 answer to this question

First of all, you can go back to any previous version you like.  They are all available at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:Release_Notes .  Just remember:

(1) Uninstall and remove the current version completely before loading another version, rather than loading a new one on top of the old one, and

(2) Open Preferences (CTRL + P) and find the checkbox to disable automatic downloading of updated versions.

Now, for your loading problem you may not need to go to all that trouble.  Instead, try opening Preferences >> Graphics >> Hardware Settings and UNchecking the boxes for both Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects (VBO) and HTTP Textures.  Those features usually speed up texture loading for most people, but on some computers they actually have the opposite effect.  Be sure to log out and relog (maybe even reboot the computer) .  If that doesn't help, then consider reinstalling a different viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.