Does anyone know when LL will remove viewer 1.23.5 ??

Calista Lexico

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I an on an emac that has the highest possible OS 10.4.11 that I can load, I can not upgrade to 10.5 to my knowledge ( Through research) Viewer 1.23.5 is the only Viewer compatible with my OS. So If I can not log in..I am out. There is no way for me to buy a new computer to accommodate a new viewer, So My question requires a NOT SO vague answer from LL..Can't find any concrete info. So far other than a rumor from inworld that it will be on JULY 31/11 YIKES??? Any verification on this would be appreciated.

7 answers to this question

I know of no plans to prevent users from logging in using viewer 1.23 (or any TPV based on the 1.23 code).  As it is right now (and has been for quite some time now) viewer 1.23 is no longer supported.  That means that any new features (such as real time shadows and the upcoming mesh import) will not be usable with the viewers based on that code.  Your SL is going to gradually become more and more weird.........you won't be able to see builds using mesh, or avatars made with mesh.  I'm sure you'll see something but it won't be what it's supposed to be.  Already, right now, you cannot see real time shadows.  A coupld months from now you won't be able to see mesh (it's supposed to go live on the main grid this summer).  You're just going to be left out..........eventually, you won't be able to do much of anything using those viewers.  But LL is not going to require get rid of your 1.23 based viewer.........it's just going ot outgrow you.

• Like 1

Historically Linden Labs says things and sometime does things and then backtracks. So no matter what is being said, officially or unofficial, we really won't know until it happens. History has proved that. It is likely that 1.23 will still work to some extent for some time and you will be able to log in.

How MUCH a difference Mesh will make is difficult to tell. Having shadows or not really makes very little difference. The world still works. But imagine if you couldn't see any sculpties, if they were just odd shaped spheres?  It WOULD be odd.

As time marches on, it will get to a point where your computer will not run SL. I have a five year old notebook (top of the line back then) that can barely log on. I can check a few things but it is painful. So while things will probably be OK for awhile, if you can't upgrade you most likely won't be able to use SL in the future. That's just part of the deal with computers. Newer and better programs call for newer and better computers. Nothing new.

This from the the Phoenix website: " As many of you have heard, V1 viewers including Phoenix will soon become broken and mostly unusable on the SL grid as LL begins to turn off server side functionality these viewers require."

The last RUMOR "I" heard was November. Again. We really won't know until it happens :D

• Like 1

i think mesh might be one of the factors that might break viewer 1.23, or if they cut off search and a number of other things, but ill bet they will make an announcement before they do anything(but then again this is LL we are talking about)

oh i just thought about somthing, i think they are wating on the third party viewers to catch up with V2, because if they stopped viewer 1.23, then all of the current TPVs that depends on the 1.23 code base will break and that would not be fair for all the TPV creators out there.

this is just my thoughts.....

It wont be removed. Nor the TPVs based on V1. They simply will die slowly and go obsolete as the new viewers enabling mesh, shandow and DOF will become stable. You may still use 1.23 but the latest functions will not be available and certainly not updated.

It seems they are waiting until they get a version of V2 that actually works before considering cutting off 1.23 so the complaints are not more numberous than they are now... smart move. After all you never hear anyone complaining about 1.23 other than they hope it does not go away any year soon and they know this.

I just read the responses so far and what I'm reading in, at least, a couple is that LL should stand still and keep the server code necessary to support viewer 1.23 or the TPV's based on 1.23 so that the people without computers capable of running the more "feature rich" viewers can be happy.  That argument was the same back when LL introduced Wind Light (viewer 1.18?).  A few TPV developers even developed viewers to accomadate those people.  All's fine for a while until it eventually gets to the point that even the TPV devs won't support those people..........you are forced to upgrade your computers if necessary to participate (just like everything else in the tech world......get on board or get left behind).

That's what happening right now with 1.23 based viewers.  Use them until they just don't work anymore (or the TPV devs quit developing them).  Or start looking for a way to "get on board".  Viewer 2.xx work quite well on a decent computer.  The UI is different and takes a little getting used to.  But, then again, Windows 7's UI took me a while to get used to also.  It's progress.  Standing still in the technology business is dying.  I don't think LL intends to die.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.