Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dogboat Taurog

Apple now has more cash to spend than the United States government.

Recommended Posts

I've been avoiding comment here on the whole #debtageddon topic (the immediate cause for a low and sinking balance at Treasury), but since we're debating trans-Atlantic sources, maybe this bit of Keynsian commentary would be of interest: America is merely wounded, Europe risks death.

(Personally, I'm not quite that much of a monetarist.  I do think "default" is far too dramatic a phrase for what Treasury would actually do in the absence of debt authority.  It's not as if this would be the first time Congress has failed to pass such a bill in time -- not even close.  In fact, even if Obama decided to default on servicing the debt, it would not be the first time the US has done that, either.  The other times it did so, however, it really didn't have a choice, whereas it certainly does now.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well if you can throw billions in aid to other countries, mind investing a measly few hundred thousand through me? you'd get better odds on payback....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, not only that, but the ginormous illegal immigrant population (especially Hispanic and/or Mexico) American's have had to bare the burden of definitely needs to start being addressed in this decade.  We almost have a ginormous population of non-taxpayers, and it's very well documented and only getting worse.  

So many are coming to America illegally from Mexico, they practically sunk the boat.  It's time to stop it.  Unfortunately, Mrs. Clinton disagrees, sadly, imo.  But once we get immigration reform back on the table and sanely worked out... America will and should rebound quite nicely.  I'm really more worried about the never ending illegal immigrant population that drains our system more than anything else.   Below is America's biggest problem.   The financial crisis is global, but that doesn't mean we need to support nor should support Mexico.  Does Mexico do anything for the U.S.?  No, they send the illegal money back to Mexico for the relatives to try to get into America.  It's a never ending cycle.  Immigration reform is what's needed and long, long overdue. 

http://www.theamericanresistance.com/ref/illegal_alien_numbers.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, just take that 350 million out of what you still owe us for lend lease and saving your butt,  plus the 60 years of interest

And I'm not nation bashing, otherwise I would have said something about the Republic of the Union of Myanmar.  What a dumb name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hailley Denimore wrote:

Ok, just take that 350 million out of what you still owe us for lend lease and saving your butt,  plus the 60 years of interest

And I'm not nation bashing, otherwise I would have said something about the Republic of the Union of Myanmar.  What a dumb name.

Britain settled up with the USA around 8 years ago i seem to remember.

they paid it all back including the interest.

im not nation bashing either btw.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

please do not drag me into your argument, I have no stomach for  my dad can beat up your dad  your country sucks/my country is cool.

and for the record, those illegal immigrants that you are so worried about can't access all the money sinks like health care that citizens can, yet still end up working their arse off to support US industry... so that argument doesn't fly with me, especially not after seeing the reality of it first hand. you want to talk about losing money in america, watch while goods/services costs go up, but the jobs get exported for a quarter of the final cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not into country bashing either, but come on with "your cough it up" as though England is sitting on a bed of roses which it is not.

This is a global epidemic of debt problems.  America got attacked by terrorists.  Blowing up Skyscrapers is not exactly proper behavior of human beings.  It cost us a lot of money to deal with this attack, and we've had to take care of Mexico and lots of other people. 

America is doing the best it can.

But countries really need to take care of what they can take of, and it's time for American's to take care of American's.

The war on terrorism has cost us a lot of money, and America considers Britain and the U.K. our allies, not enemies.  We just don't have some of the same tastes as you do.  Your Cadbury chocolate eggs taste like poison, btw, they are sickeningly sweet.  Barf!  And they rot in a corner for 75% off as a big lump of poison.  American's like Hersey's chocolate.  We have our own culture here.  We don't see a need to breed some kind of royality as there is no blue blood, only red.  We are a different culture, but most innovation happens right here in America.  We are a great country, but not perfect.  I prefer German innovation as my second choice, and Italy and France for culture.  

We couldn't just turn our backs on Mexico either.  This has been difficult; these people were starving and they are our neighbors.

People on this forum cannot "cough up" any money for you.  This thread seemed to be started so I'd post something about the trouble with the euro, and I'm not playing that game any more with you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh sorry if I misunderstood you, Void.  I didn't intentionally mean to drag you into anything.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Back to the OP wanting America to "cough it up":

And another thing, as far as our South American neighbors, I'd chose either immigration reform on or after a specific date is set; the people already here who have families should be granted amnesty, as families shouldn't be separated.  But should we have some kind of sanity towards immigration into America?  I think so, and so do many American Hispanics who immigrated the legal way.  It's each to their own opinion.  But it has cost a lot of money to help support Mexico. 

I already covered outsourcing of jobs in another thread with this username, not to mention the dollar and euro with this username.

The globe has no choice but to muddle through this one day at a time.

If you want your money OP, write the President. 

I'm not falling for this bait no more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Mayalily wrote:

I'm not into country bashing either, but come on with "your cough it up" as though England is sitting on a bed of roses which it is not.

This is a global epidemic of debt problems.  America got attacked by terrorists.  Blowing up Skyscrapers is not exactly proper behavior of human beings.  It cost us a lot of money to deal with this attack, and we've had to take care of Mexico and lots of other people. 

America is doing the best it can.

But countries really need to take care of what they can take of, and it's time for American's to take care of American's.

The war on terrorism has cost us a lot of money, and America considers Britain and the U.K. our allies, not enemies.  We just don't have some of the same tastes as you do.  Your Cadbury chocolate eggs taste like poison, btw, they are sickeningly sweet.  Barf!  And they rot in a corner for 75% off as a big lump of poison.  American's like Hersey's chocolate.  We have our own culture here.  We don't see a need to breed some kind of royality as there is no blue blood, only red.  We are a different culture, but most innovation happens right here in America.  We are a great country, but not perfect.  I prefer German innovation as my second choice, and Italy and France for culture.  

We couldn't just turn our backs on Mexico either.  This has been difficult; these people were starving and they are our neighbors.

People on this forum cannot "cough up" any money for you.  This thread seemed to be started so I'd post something about the trouble with the euro, and I'm not playing that game any more with you.  

i was taunting you for nation bashing.

i posted about apple and the usa.

you bought britain into it when you could have chosen any country or just disussed the usa and apple.

instead you criticise great britain and the royal family and its chocolate?

how bizarre.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now steady on there, dear girl! By all means bash away at the royal family, constant rain, warm beer etc., but casting aspersions as to the integrity and deliciousness of Cadbury chocolate is beyond the pale! Cadbury's "Dairy Milk" has been a defining food group for millions and millions of Brits and even though Cadbury PLC is now owned by the Kraft company (they of the "cheese slice"), the chocolate is an intergral part of the national psyche and as British as bacon and eggs, red buses, the Houses of Parliament, whippets, hand-pumped real ale, and the Empire!

Now, what was the original question..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of Chocolate...

Although I grew up on Cadbury, I must admit Hershey does have the superior quality. But they all pale into comparison the day I tasted a Belgian chocolate. It is true what they say.. once you've gone Belgian....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Willow Danube wrote:

On the subject of Chocolate...

Although I grew up on Cadbury, I must admit Hershey does have the superior quality. But they all pale into comparison the day I tasted a Belgian chocolate. It is true what they say.. once you've gone Belgian....

in chocolate circles hersheys isnt even mentioned. mass produced lard in a wrapper.

cadbury is not real chocolate, it doesnt taste of chocolate, It's just sugar and fat.

french and english are the best chocolates by far, with paris as the chocolate city of the world.

dosent have to be expensive either, a bar of green and blacks is about £1.50 or 28 US$ at todays exchange rates :smileywink:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was the original question?  There wasn't any; he was making a commentary about a story run on Google front page.

The OP needs to seriously deal with the problems of their own backyard of which the OP seems to want to remain blind too. 

And, Cadbury, bleh, tastes like poison; it's sickeningly sweet.  No one (almost) here eats it because we have Mom and Pop chocolatiers where we can get fresh, homemade chocolates. 

America has all kinds of chocolates and recipes. 

I brought up Hersey's because that is American innovation at work; Hersey invented milk chocolate, before that we only had dark chocolate. 

But, seriously OP, take care of your countrys' problems cuz you got many.  In fact, your countrys credit rating is already negative and has been since 2009.   However, this will fall on deaf ears. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Mayalily wrote:

What was the original question?  There wasn't any; he was making a commentary about a story run on Google front page.

The OP needs to seriously deal with the problems of their own backyard of which the OP seems to want to remain blind too. 

And, Cadbury, bleh, tastes like poison; it's sickeningly sweet.  No one (almost) here eats it because we have Mom and Pop chocolatiers where we can get fresh, homemade chocolates. 

America has all kinds of chocolates and recipes. 

I brought up Hersey's because that is American innovation at work; Hersey invented milk chocolate, before that we only had dark chocolate. 

But, seriously OP, take care of your countrys' problems cuz you got many.  In fact, your countrys credit rating is already negative and has been since 2009.   However, this will fall on deaf ears. 

 

 

im listening, i saw the article on the bbc website, you have overeacted, my light hearted taunting obviously bought out an ugly side of you, it  doesnt really matter if you compare the USA with Timbuktu, the facts remain.

i wasn't country bashing, it was a  remarkable headline, im sure there are a lot of good things about the USA, i just can't think of any at the moment, ah yes! the low exchange rate!

that was meant as a joke.

its english humour. no reason to get annoyed or upset.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree because I do see this thread starting as nothing but for you to bash America.

And, it wasn't appreciated. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Mayalily wrote:

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree because I do see this thread starting as nothing but for you to bash America.

And, it wasn't appreciated. 

 

oh come on ,that was the headline.

i had a bit of fun with you, you were too stuck up to realise it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not fun nor was it funny.  When the euro starts to tank and banks are going all coconuts, I surely won't be starting any threads on it to pour salt in the wounds when people will be struggling thru that.  Pouring salt into wounds might be your idea of humor, but it's not mine. 

You can sure dish it, but you can't take it.  Nor can you deal with the truth either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Mayalily wrote:

It's not fun nor was it funny.  When the euro starts to tank and banks are going all coconuts, I surely won't be starting any threads on it to pour salt in the wounds when people will be struggling thru that.  Pouring salt into wounds might be your idea of humor, but it's not mine. 

You can sure dish it, but you can't take it.  Nor can you deal with the truth either. 

 

it was a remarkable headline, build yourself a bridge and get over it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Dogboat Taurog wrote:


french and english are the best chocolates by far, with paris as the chocolate city of the world.


Wrong again... you know BBC is as good as a liar as CNN is, right? Kinda up there right after Al Jazeera. I mean in terms of chocolate btw.. Paris would like to be the capital city of everything. Have you not heard about the French Fries fiasco?

Here's a known fact of the world's best chocolatiers..

1. Switzerland

2. Belgium

3. Italy

The English may have invented Chicken Tikka Massala and Baseball (sorry Maya, Baseball was invented by the Brits and Basketball by a Canadian), no way you can put them at the same level as these countries. Just because you added some truffles in your chocolates doesn't mean you are the world's best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Willow Danube wrote:


Dogboat Taurog wrote:


french and english are the best chocolates by far, with paris as the chocolate city of the world.


Wrong again... you know BBC is as good as a liar as CNN is, right? Kinda up there right after Al Jazeera. I mean in terms of chocolate btw.. Paris would like to be the capital city of everything. Have you not heard about the French Fries fiasco?

Here's a known fact of the world's best chocolatiers..

1. Switzerland

2. Belgium

3. Italy

The English may have invented Chicken Tikka Massala and Baseball (sorry Maya, Baseball was invented by the Brits and Basketball by a Canadian), no way you can put them at the same level as these countries. Just because you added some truffles in your chocolates doesn't mean you are the world's best.

jeez not another..

the bbc were dead right with this headline.

swiss chocolate isnt even rated

belgian is so so.

french is the best with england in second place.

some american chocolatiers are good.

some english ones are good. but the french have more rated chocolatiers than any other country.

and paris has the most chocolatiers in the world.

thats the facts.

 

 ETA the french fries fiasco?

The usa is as far as i know the only country in the world that calls them french fries.

their fiasco, no one elses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rated by whom? the English that have their taste buds forcibly removed so they can stand the bland local food? the "facts" are debatable because they are all based on regional tastes, making them meaningless outside of their areas...

straight chocolates, I prefer Swiss; truffles, Belgian or German; extra dark, I prefer the Italian ones over the Belgian, but both are good. the French are good at cordials and similar oversweet combinations, but that's about it IMO, and Hersheys is only suitable for coating other things by comparison IMO (and I'm distantly related to him, so no nepotism). but those are my tastes...

other large commercial brands in the US like Nestle (oily cocoa powder), Cadbury (Bland and grainy), and Dove (plastic) are only worth mentioning as how bad they are in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...