Apple now has more cash to spend than the United States government.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well rumor  has it that GM is opening a new plant close to the town i live in..if this happens then i think all this will change and the government will take back the lead *Drum Roll with Cymbal Crash*

thank you!! thank you!! i'll be here all weekend

=P

I'd be more impressed if the US goverment had anything to learn from them... sadly, they already know how to overcharge you for crap wrapped in shiny packages coming, using , and going. call me back when Apple has to support a national defense, public works, or a system of law other than "sucks to be you, wanna buy another one?"

Void Singer wrote:

I'd be more impressed if the US goverment had anything to learn from them... sadly, they already know how to overcharge you for crap wrapped in shiny packages coming, using , and going. call me back when Apple has to support a national defense, public works, or a system of law other than "sucks to be you, wanna buy another one?"

lol it's the facts. deal with it.

i'm thinking of buying california if the chinese dont beat me to it

Void Singer wrote:

I didn't dispute it, just noted the difference in obligations.

that wasn't really the point of me posting this.

the point was that when a country as big as the USA has less spending power than a corporation then you know something is wrong.

a sort of wake up call if you will.

Yeah, all that cash on hand is not a sign of a healthy business.  If Apple doesn't have ways to invest that profitably in its own business -- new product development, acquisitions, whatever -- it shows that they've outgrown their strategic vision and become a hedge fund with a sideline of branding consumer electronics.

Apple has never been any good at acquisitions; it's not a new problem.  Instead, they've lately developed the corporate hobby of patent trolling.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Yeah, all that cash on hand is
not
a sign of a healthy business.  If Apple doesn't have ways to invest that profitably in its own business -- new product development, acquisitions, whatever -- it shows that they've outgrown their strategic vision and become a hedge fund with a sideline of branding consumer electronics.

Apple has never been any good at acquisitions; it's not a new problem.  Instead, they've lately developed the corporate hobby of patent trolling.

you sound like an Apple hater, but they are an extremely successful corporation.

patent trolling? they bought 6000 for 4.5 billion along with Microsoft from nortel, a business that was defunct.

thats true business at work.

according to insiders netflix and voice technology may be the next aquisition.

almost everything apple has done has been a sucess.

however Apple was just an example...

Actually, I own Apple stock.  But I'm holding it only because they keep churning out great quarterly numbers.  Those are more than reflected in the stock price, of course, but for now the Greater Fool theory still applies.  It is foolish, though, long term, unless they can generate return on all that capital they're amassing. That is true business, and if the best they can do is sit on cash, the clock is ticking.

Funny you should mention the Nortel patent buy.  An interesting takeover target for Apple would be another partner in that transaction: RIM.  It's worthless as an ongoing tech play, but it's available in the bargain bin now and would further bulk up Apple's patent portfolio (with relevant patents, even -- not that this particularly matters) and give them a lock on nearly 100% of RIM's remaining government and enterprise customers, the majority of which will otherwise drift to Android.  (It would actually be an even better buy for Google, but Android's manufacturers now have such horrific entangled patent problems that RIM's portfolio wouldn't even make a dent.  And now  MPEG LA is playing patent terrorist to Google's WebM initiative.)

Qie pointed it out better than I... but any business with that much reserve capital is doing something wrong. there should either be a plan on how to use it, or it should be filtering back into either their shareholders or clients pockets as added value.... money is only useful if you put it to work.

I'd don't think the USA would actually release how much money it has.  Let alone do we know how much Steve Jobs alone takes out of that Apple as his salary but I'd bet it's quite a ginormous bite. 

A lot of political things merely exist for one sole reason:  to manipulate the stock market and cause panic.  People make money shorting stocks (shorting means you make money also when stocks, commodities, currencies go down).   That anthrax scare is one example of pure manipulation.  The stock companies that had the antidote to anthrax were going up 8000%, 12000%, 15000%, etc.  And, I called the FBI and I said I think it's these companies who are planting the anthrax.  And guess what, it turned out I was right - that the stock companies that had the anthrax antidote were actually the ones that planted the anthrax scare in the first place.  They murdered people to manipulate the stocks and make themselves rich.  This is just time stalling so the elite can buy puts and make loads of moola when the market does down.  It's a lot of manipulated bs, but people fall for it every single day, and it never stops, bird flu, swine flu, it's always going to be something to manipulate the stock market for the world's global government elite.  This has got to be one of the worst.  We are having a major global slowdown due to machines replacing the need for workers; it's not just happening in America; it's happening everywhere around the world.  The euro could completely collapse.  England has been far worse off than America with it's tax level to support some outdated monarchy breeding nonsense.  I've heard of people in England who have to pull their own teeth with a string attached to a door.  At least America is not that bad, yet.  Hopefully, we won't get as bad as England.  Good doctors don't even want to work in England because of all the backlog and most of their hard earned money going to taxes. 

ETA:  The horror stories of the taxes and the horrific health care among so many other horror stories come from people I know in rl who have both lived and worked both in England and America.  They said they'd chose America anyday.  I think the America people will definately get through this, and rise and shine. 

Void Singer wrote:

Qie pointed it out better than I... but any business with that much reserve capital is doing something wrong. there should either be a plan on how to use it, or it should be filtering back into either their shareholders or clients pockets as added value.... money is only useful if you put it to work.

Apple play their cards close to their chest,

if Apple are doing something wrong i would love to be as wrong as them .

silly haters.

Mayalily wrote:

I'd don't think the USA would actually release how much money it has.  Let alone do we know how much Steve Jobs alone takes out of that Apple as his salary but I'd bet it's quite a ginormous bite. 

A lot of political things merely exist for one sole reason:  to manipulate the stock market and cause panic.  People make money shorting stocks (shorting means you make money also when stocks, commodities, currencies go down).   That anthrax scare is one example of pure manipulation.  The stock companies that had the antidote to anthrax were going up 8000%, 12000%, 15000%, etc.  And, I called the FBI and I said I think it's these companies who are planting the anthrax.  And guess what, it turned out I was right - that the stock companies that had the anthrax antidote were actually the ones that planted the anthrax scare in the first place.  They murdered people to manipulate the stocks and make themselves rich.  This is just time stalling so the elite can buy puts and make loads of moola when the market does down.  It's a lot of manipulated bs, but people fall for it every single day, and it never stops, bird flu, swine flu, it's always going to be something to manipulate the stock market for the world's global government elite.  This has got to be one of the worst.  We are having a major global slowdown due to machines replacing the need for workers; it's not just happening in America; it's happening everywhere around the world.  The euro could completely collapse.  England has been far worse off than America with it's tax level to support some outdated monarchy breeding nonsense.  I've heard of people in England who have to pull their own teeth with a string attached to a door.  At least America is not that bad, yet.  Hopefully, we won't get as bad as England.  Good doctors don't even want to work in England because of all the backlog and most of their hard earned money going to taxes. 

ETA:  The horror stories of the taxes and the horrific health care among so many other horror stories come from people I know in rl who have both lived and worked both in England and America.  They said they'd chose America anyday.  I think the America people will definately get through this, and rise and shine. 

Where the heck do you get your "facts" from?

i live in Britain, you dont have any idea what you are talking about.

pulling teeth with string?

we have free healthcare here.

:smileyvery-happy:

and by the way we use pound stirling - the one that looks like this "£".

and the USA owes Britain 350 million dollars. - so cough up.

but then it isn't about Britain is it?

i dont think you realise what a mess the USA is in.

Duh, I know you have free health care, but it takes months to get an appointment because of it.  People waiting for days, weeks, months.  If a tooth needs out, it needs out, so yes it's clearly been documented that people have had to resort to pulling their own teeth. 

I for one am so glad we won our freedom from the tyranny of Kings of Queens.  What utter rubbish.  The Queen is taking 82 million in a U.S. dollar figure a year for doing nothing.  In comparison, our President makes 4.5 million a year.

So yes, people do take America over England, anyday!  Get over it!  lol 

And I'll bid 1 dollar on those 40 euro's from Jo because pretty soon they are only going to be nuttin' but collector's items. 

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/166694/20110621/euro-collapse-end-of-euro-eurozone-greece-jean-claude-juncker-italy.htm

The debt outlook don't look too rosy for England anywhere on the internet:

http://www.debtbombshell.com/

I'm like so duh at your response because I wrote I know doctors in RL who worked in England but now reside completely in America.  So I'm still like, duh.  I know doctors.  What more do I need to tell you? 

Mayalily wrote:

Duh, I know you have free health care, but it takes months to get an appointment because of it.  People waiting for days, weeks, months.  If a tooth needs out, it needs out, so yes it's clearly been documented that people have had to resort to pulling their own teeth. 

I for am so glad we won our freedom from the tyranny of Kings of Queens.  What utter rubbish.  The Queen is taking 82 million in a U.S. dollar figure a year for doing nothing.  In comparison, our President makes 4.5 million a year.

So yes, people do take America over England, anyday!  Get over it!  lol 

And I'll bid 1 dollar on those euro's from Jo because pretty soon they are only going to be nuttin' but collector's items. 

you are taking extreme examples of news you may have read in whatever trashy rag you read and applying them to everyday life.

i could cite many extreme examples about the USA too.

what i posted was a fact. deal with it.

is that what the thread is becoming?

country bashing?

ETA , Debtbombshell.com?

sounds really credible :smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.