Why did you first log into Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I saw SL featured on CSI: New York.  I checked it out and discovered my computer didn't meet minimum specs so I bought a newer one (used - I'm not rich).  Once I could enjoy Second Life I remember staying logged in over 17 hours that first weekend.  Now that computer doesn't meet minimum specs anymore.  I broke down and bought a new computer two years ago, bought land and built a club.  February of this year SL lost it's appeal so I closed the club and abandoned my land.  As of July 6 this year something happened and I can't run SL on my new computer.  My old computer still runs it, but poorly.  I don't really miss SL.

I tinkered in a program called Activeworlds and met a bunch of great people.  After a while we found it limiting so we went to a new place called Linden World, much nicer, way more things to do.  

Well now its been about 8 years or so and I still pop in and out, the name has changed, but it still keeps my interest.  Been a blast, hope you all have as much fun as I have had.

Paul

i thought at that time that i had done everything a person can do on the internet and with computers, been there done that, i did everything, except trying out a multi-user virtual world.

Second Life was free and it didnt took many computer resources so that was the chosen one.

i was impressed! i couldnt believe that a place like this existed, a world so huge in constant evolution, where you can be whoever you want, with its own economy, created almost entirely by the users.

Second Life was the best decision to try out.

A friend of mine was aware of my involvement with graphics and that I liked to make stuff told me about SL.

It wasn't until I had been inworld for a few days until I found out that you could... umm..  make clothes 8^) \o/

lol.. and that was it!

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Liisa Runo wrote:

i heard that in SL we can create stuff. I like creating stuff.

theres this place called RL, you can create stuff there too.

You really should check it out sometime.

Yes, i create stuff in RL too. But i dont have enough money in RL to create everything i want.

Half meter wooden cube cost around 100€. Tools to make hollow torus from it cost my 3 year salary.

Fabric enough for a shirt cost about 5 times the price of ready made shirt. And so on...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.