Who's Idea is this anyways

Diawa Bellic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am still using V1 but also use Firestorm occasionally, just to get familiar with it for when V1 becomes unusable. At the moment I find Firestorm easy to use but the performance is no good (judders and stalls). I have used Viewer 2 as well. The main thing I have found with the different viewers is that I crash less with V1 and crashing is the most annoying thing to me. I fly planes and sail in SL so I run a higher than average risk of crashing, I know.

The other thing with Viewer 2 is that if you read the forums, it does seem to have really a lot of bugs and that is down to poor pre-update testing which in 2011 should be a thing of the past.

I  am quite upset that in more than year ll has pretty much ignored feedback from current users and not scrambled to either resume updating viewer one or make viewer 2 have "old user" mode that emulates v1, enabling users to switch over to v2 style element by as element as they become accustomed.

As it is I crash all the time on v2 and despite being a person who spends all her time and money in SL, I find that I got this computer new in february and im not willing to buy yet another new computer for SL. i need more of a show of faith from LL.

I am actually a bit of power user of SL and I  feel stupid bad and incapable of coping  everytime I get on v2. This is not a feeling I pay money for , or seek.

Ignoring current customers while chasing new ones is a clasic small business mistake.

Void Singer wrote:

and seriously? Prim Docker? rubbish bin with that mess... even for those that stink at math, align tool is so much nicer.

I do find Prim.Docker to be useful for some things, particularly building large things outdoors.  So, something better sounds very interesting.  I'll have to take a second look. 

Kasya Sciavo wrote: If you think a drop down, chunky menu is better than the neat pie menu, that is far easier and faster to use then bully for you.  

When using pie menus, the user tends to rely on memory and click on where he/she remembers the segment to be rather than read what is written there. Hence, when Linden Lab reorganised the pie menu segments some years ago, we were all clicking the wrong option for ages afterwards until our brains got used to the new segment arrangement. That doesn't tend to happen with with drop down menus where we tend to read what we are selecting. Nevertheless, the option to use the pie menu is there in Viewer 2 if anyone wishes to use it when right clicking avatars, land or objects. All one has to do is change the debug menu as shown in pic below or if using Kirstens it's just a tick box in Preferences.

Pie menu.JPG

Pie menu 2.JPG

She must have been logged in with Firestorm when showing the UsePieMenu debug setting. Firestorm does have it, and it has exactly the same description in Firestorm. As of August 9, The Viewer 2 a.Release, b.Beta regular and c.Mesh Project Viewer do not have that. Maybe it will be in Viewer 2 some day. It's not in there August 9th, 2011.

Was away on holiday so just reading the replies now.

Tristizia, I thought I took that screen shot while using 2.8.1.235154 beta but I can't check as it's not useable anymore and the option is not in the new beta so perhaps I took it while using Kirstens as I use both it and the official viewer. Kirsten has had it as a tick box option in Preferences for some time so if you want to use pie menus, then Kirstens would be the one to go for if you have an aversion to Phoenix viewers as I do.

Kirstens pie menu option.JPG

• 5 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2683 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.