font crispness on tattoos

Lyra Blackthorne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am playing with text tattoo's and am not happy with the "crispness" of the lettering.

Anyway to sharpen that up?

update...thanks to all.  I will try everyones suggestions.  I do put tats on multiple layers but for choice;never occured to me to wear more than one layer.  I will check that out

3 answers to this question

I read an article not long ago (don't remember who) that was explaining it was best to design at 2048 then resize to 1024 and upload EVEN THOUGH the final garment, skin, tattoo get renedered on the avatar at 512. So trying that might help. Certainly makes sense to me, but I don't make clothes any longer :D

Good luck.

• Like 1

A couple of things may make your tats crisp.

If you upload large files SL will compress them using JPEG2000. Anything over a 64x64pixel image (about 4k) will be compressed. But the bigger the image the more it is compressed. So, getting close to the SL size or one size larger seems to give good results.

If you uplad a JPG file you have already compressed it once. SL will compress it a second time and likely make it fuzzy.

TGA files have halo issues when used with transparency. There are numerious SL tutorials on how to work around the halo problem. Google Second Life TGA halo tutorial to find them. They are crisper than uploading JPG files.

PNG files are probably the best chance for getting a sharp image into SL. 

I suggset you try different image sizes and see what works best. Designing at a large size as Rolig suggests and then down sizing in Photoshop gives the best images. Avoid the Web Image optimization. Save your image then use IMAGE -> Image Size to reduce the image. Bicubic Sharper is probly the best and certainly better than the Web Optimazation. Once sized then use the Web Optimzation using the largest image size to export an image. THEN REMEMBER to hit FILE -> REVERT to get your large image back.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.