SL won't start for me--HELP! D:

Addison Adzior

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm not sure if it's my laptop, SL Viewer, or whatever, but the game hasn't been working since 5pm (EST) 7/27/11. An error message shows everytime I try about a crash. I've tried: shutting SL down, shutting my laptop off, unistalling/reinstalling SL and it was all in vain. Before using patch 2.8 this never happend. Is this the issue? If not, what do I need to do?

I am begging; HELP ME!

The crash message basically says "sending crash report".

8 answers to this question

Ok first of all have you done a "Clean Install"? If not you should look into it depending your Operating System. Don't fret, it may be something in your cache that got buggy.

If that clean install Doesn't work Try clearing out all your Temp fileson your computer(there are too many ways to name)and rebooting. Make sure your OS is up to date too, it can bug your viewer too.

Best of luck

• Like 1

We are seeing quite a number of people with this complaint as they are starting to use the 2.8 viewer.  I suspect that the new download is trying to use the Preferences file that the previous version saved on your computer, but that something in that file is incompatible with the new version.  You can try either one of two things .....

(1) Log out of SL. Then find your user settings file (Where is it?  See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User_settings) and delete it.  When you log back in, the viewer will create a new default settings file.

(2) Completely delete all files associated with your previous installation, then download and install a fresh copy of the new viewer or a third party viewer.

Either way, you will lose any custom settings you made in Preferences, but your viewer should run.

• Like 1

I'm having exactly the same problem and I've tried every last one of the solutions posted below and explained by chat. Never had this kind of problem before viewer 2.x started sending a new version every three days or so

And what's with this starting up in basic mode when the program finally makes it past the log-in? Basic is literally useless if you have to do anything except fly and walk in the place you were when the program opened in basic. I have to manage land but I can't even get to it because, the few times I've made it past login with the new viewer, I no longer have menus.

See my advice in Addison's new thread at http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Unable-to-start-SL-still/qaq-p/1004313 . It may be the best option for you now too.

BTW, I agree with you about the Basic mode. It is one of LL's more boneheaded innovations this year. Fortunately, you can avoid it by selecting Advanced from V2's login screen -- -if you ever get V2 to work for you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.