Sharing pics of new mesh work

WADE1 Jya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Vivienne Daguerre wrote:

I still don't think scripts should have any influence on PE. I understand that the Lindens made a mistake with scripts in not building in any kind of controls over them. They may wish to find a way to encourage more efficient scripting and reduction of unnecesary scripts through deletion or setting scripts to not running. Trying to fix the problem by discouraging the use of scripts in mesh is just piling another mistake on top of an old one.

The biggest offenders with scripts are avatar attachments. They should focus on limiting or throttling avatar attachment scripts and providing tools to enable land owners to find poorly written scripts that gobble up sim resources and create lag. They should enable an owner of an object, or the land owner, or perhaps both, to disable a script and stop it from running, even if the object is no mod.

There are far better and simpler solutions to the script problem.

I completely agree! My personal opinion is that LL should only make suggestions, and never make rules set in stone about script usage. Education and info are what is needed, not penalties. SL needs more interactivity, not less, and this can only be achieved thru scripts. As a side note, LL still can't record mono script memory usage correctly, but they have time to sit around and think up penalties for scripts.

@Wade1 - it's coming along nicely.

I think I'm almost done with this guy. He replaces my sculpty wolves for combat. The fur texture was a pain in the butt, and it soaks up a ton of data. I had to lower the resolution a bit to make the texture a reasonable size, so i lost alot of detail, but that's fine for it's purpose. I still have to go back and adjust the model a bit. His nose is a bit fat, mane needs some bulk, and maybe move the tail a bit farther from the body.

This is updated with the model changes.

Wolfmesh2.jpg

Thanks!! Don't worry, they are territorial. They rarely wander. lol

I already did the changes to the model and he looks much much better. Only 6 prims too, and you can tell its a wolf in all 4 LODs, which is surprising. I think i just got lucky. Now, still gotta animate him, but that is the fun part.

• Like 1

Love that wolf :matte-motes-big-grin-squint: so cute hehehe

& that rock shading is looking cool too! I've been wondering with all that stuff alongside mesh is there any new ways we can make transparent/transluscent bits? Perhaps like something made of ice? Targas give less than satisfying results for many application. I am hoping there is some new ways to do transparent cutout details without causing alpha sorting issues...

Today I worked more on getting some test poses imported to SL to start animating this fox (and made a new Arctic breed).

foxsnap_001.png

This deer is almost done. For whatever reason, I can't find a viewer that will upload a physics shape properly now, so PE is really high. Once I can get the physics uploader to work, they should only be around 5 prims tho. I still have some touch up texture work to do on this.

MDHUmeshdeer.jpg

Blender and ZBrush together are awesome!! I wish ZBrush would make a GoZ for Blender! I love that every update to ZBrush since I bought it has been free. I feel like I have got my money's worth out of ZBrush several times over. I still need Blender though, for UV mapping, and I like it best for making my low poly mesh to start out with. I usually export that mesh, smoothed in collada to take into SL. I then export it as an .obj and take it into ZBrush to subdivide it, add detail, texture, bake in lighting and material, and then export the baking and texture (which I do separately for greater control) into Photoshop to play with. It is a pipeline I am familiar and comfortable with. I think this is how ZBrush was intended to be used. It was never meant to be a stand alone program, but to work with other programs.

Don't forget the UV Master plugin for Zbrush :D it is actually pretty nice and works almost like Headus or another stand alone pelter. I don't use Z brushas I much as I use Mudbox as it just seems to work better together with Maya for me although I love Z spheres and modeling with them just for relaxation. You can also once you get good with Z spheres model very nicely around the integrated armature, not that this is me as of yet cause I just can't get that good of a hold on the view manipulation as I can with Mudbox.

@Viv: I totally agree. I love working with that same app combo myself. I'd also toss Xnormal in the mix. :D And yes, Blender GoZ would be nice. But, I don't find that I really ever need to go back and forth with that since I usually make my model and UV map it in Blender then go to Zbrush for high resolution sculpting/texturing. I've actually found the GoZ for Photoshop has been more helpful for me personally since I do go back and forth with some texture details.

@guY: I don't like UV Master. It lacks fine tuned control. But really, don't get me started on the poor UV and retopo tools in Zbrush. :P I will cross my fingers and hope these areas will improve by Zbrush 5. I have high hopes for retopo since they've already shown some demo tech for it in the forums. *fingers crossed*

There's an "unofficial" GoZ type thing called GoB I've seen talked about on the Zbrush Central forum.  For some reason I can't paste the address here, but do a search there for GoB.  I haven't had the time to check it out more fully, but I plan to since I spend about equal amounts of my time in Blender and Zbrush.

Let's hope that Zbrush 4.2 will have corrected the retopology tools and many other things.  It's due out in September and it will be another, and perhaps last, free upgrade until ZB5. In generally I've found work arounds to the retopology problems and I actually enjoy retopologizing  in Zbrush, but I really like doing UVs in Blender.  That being said, there are alot of tweaks you can make in UV Master with transpose tools and deformations that I think alot of folks don't realize.  At the very least one can set up polygroups, run UV master to make islands and get started for refining the UV's in another app.

And I have Mudbox.  Right out of the box I was able to texture something in Mudbox that I struggled with in Zbrush, but I keep going back to Zbrush.  The sculpting in Mudbox and Sculptris just looks too "gummy" to me.  I know in the end it doesn't matter since the shading ultimately depends on SL, but it's not as satisfying as sculpting in Zbrush.

• Like 1

I agree about the brushes especially clay, the way it scultps and the way is adds geometry for Zbrush, it is just the view manipulation is so backwards from other 3D applications that I cant get confortable enough with it to use it over Mudbox. I am always flipping the thing the wrong way or get so turned around I can't get back to normal front view without the hotkey which frames it :(

Thanks for the information on GoB, Nacy. ^^

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=127419

Well, sculpting in Zbrush is like butter. I have zero complaints there. It makes 3D work a dream. Yet, I find myself falling back to the traditional workflow because the retopo tools in Zbrush give me hives. :P But anyway, it looks like they may have added the Sculptris tech (dynamic tessellation) to the upgrade version. I'm pretty excited about that. I enjoyed playing around with Sculptris. Although, I think I would usually end up using the dynamic tessellation method more when I needed to do concept art versus a finished game model.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.