Inventory freezing up viewer

Snodge Snoodle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all,

I just installed the newest LL v2 Second Life 2.8.0 (236429) Jul 21 2011 13:12:25 (Second Life Release) and every time I click on anything in my inventory the whole viewer locks up for a few seconds. Expanding folders, right clicking, dragging items from my inventory onto the ground or my avi or to an objects inventory, if I try and wear an outfit the whole viewer stops responding!

I have manually cleared my cache and settings from the app data folders (local & roaming)

what's causing this? It was fine on the older version. Could it be something to do with LL making magic boxes redundant soon?

Could anybody give me some idea on how to stop this behavior? My inventory is on the brink of crashing the viewer and is making my Second life a real pain :(

Thanks for any help

Snodge

**UPDATE**

Thanks for the garbled reply Clary Jewell, sorry to say that my PC is not slow, its a gaming PC and can play any game out on the market with ease on max graphics settings. This issue is purely to do with the inventory window locking up the viewer when I click on anything. My frame rate is over 30 on the high setting with lighting and shadows! I don't have lag at all until I click the inventory. It was fine in older versions, was just asking if anybody else has this problem and if they know a solution for it. I know a roll back to the previous version will fix it, but was wondering why this one is doing it and if there is a known solution other that going back to an older version?

3 answers to this question

I saw someone else mention the freeze when accessing the inventory. I have no solution for you, other than if everything worked in the previous viewer, perhaps you should go back to it and wait for the next version to see if the problem goes away?

Download previous versions from here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

- Luc -

• Like 1

you might want to try lowering the intricacy of trees, clouds fog, blah blah and (the answer since computers developed the 'blue screen of death' known to uni students who had not backed up their sixteen page extravaganzas and lost them to a blank blue screen having not thought to back up (haha, i'm old-well, i was younger then and tired and not any more practical than now) just restart the dang thing.  BUT, you can also, if it is taking a few more seconds, not minutes to open things in your inventory, just wait it out.  i have the same problem, and from what i understand, sl is just further ahead in capability than my computer. i fix this by the above mentioned methods and using less vivid graphic (on the preferences list, under....file? it's the last one under the tabbed headings at the top of the sl viewer page that i went ahead and downloaded. using a different browser...i don't see how that could help if the problem is just that you don't have the games graphics/work graphics card, processor and so on that you'd be able to do everything at the fastest rate and the best quality. you can still use the game without that all the time, if you like it enough. or upgrade the computer (or in my own wildest dreams....a hotdamn beaut of a computer that makes everything how i want it....until the next year when something else new comes along. honestly! clothes are less expensive yearly budgets these days *fake sigh*. heh. my clothing budget....does not exist.  it keeps me exercising so i don't gain more weight than my ten year old jeans can handle *just realized the threads may give one day tho..........riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppppped in the wrong spot lol (no commando Clary!!!).

so anyway. pardon my tangent please, and really hope you have patience, money or really good luck and all three.

This has nothing to do with your PC performance as mentioned by another person here. This issue has been widely talked about in the Kirstens Viewer blog since that viewer uses the latest development viewer code. There is indeed an issue with the inventory fetching and there is a jira for it https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-26405 I'm sure there are more Jiras on this issue. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.