Seems their plan is working..

Cio Koba

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, just checked new profiles for the first time at  Agni. I still dont get how the home page really works, seems pretty messy but definetly not enough to make me want to log off forever. Btw, now if I ever was to go away and never return to our virtual fields again, I would leave a messege on The Feed so that  even people that never knew me saw it.

Well that is not the point of this thread. What i wanted to point out might just be a coincidence.

In the recomendation tab 3 out of 5 were ''residents'' (my new name, very respectful, for noobs).

What I found more interesting was that of them 3 out of 3 had RL pics as their main profile pic..strange.. I doubt  many 2 named residents do this.

So I think this reflects in some way what LL has been trying to achieve during this half year. Good for them, they seem to start getting  results.

Im still to meet ''in person'' any of this guys, but I sense that these newcomers arrive to SL (or whatever they want to call it now) with a totally diferent mindset that the one I first logged in with back at '07.

I dont mean all of this is bad, just different. I will continue with my old virtual habits while Im in peace knowing the world is big enough for everyone to fit in.

I am a proud owner of a legacy name or a 2 named resident as you call it.

I did not bother with the first life tab either. But when friends in SL started putting in their RL picture (and I mean friends, not contacts) I did the same. 

My avatar is basically a better version of myself, more muscular and less chubby. As far as character and behaviour go, I am the same in SL as in RL. I never thought that RL and SL should remain separate for ever. On the other hand, I prefer not to give out too much private information on the internet or a virtual world. I find Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn tedious and don't bother with them. So I am somewhere in the middle, I share some RL info but not too much.

I think it is more a matter of personal style then generations of SL users. It's only natural for Linden Lab to want to use the power of the social media. If they would not use it, it would be running for office and only using newspaper ads while your opponent is on national television.

I've yet to meet a single legacy name user that put a RL pick on their main profile (plenty enough on their RL section, though)... but like OP I've seen an increasing number of new members putting RL pics on the main profile section (rather than the RL section).... and I agree... it's a bit disturbing.

Their plan is working?? AHEM.

http://secondlife.com/xmlhttp/secondlife.php

SL has lost 10000 daily logins at peak hours in the last half year, and it is going down fast now. It used to be 85000 in Dec 2008. That was a peak indeed. A few months ago it was still appr. 65000. Daily logins at peak times today and in the last month has been 56k at the most. 

It is the result of counter productive management roads and off focus core developments; hardly understood by LL themselves while it is so easy to comprehend for any basic business person. The list of dead tracks LL has been walking has become too long...

*Rolling eyes...

So a few Zuckerberg disciples have created free accounts lately, while many formerly loyal and paying customers are selling their land and leaving for the popular OpenSim grid that I don't want to advertise here, or simply don't log in anymore. As Linda pointed out, the concurrency is falling, and the user retention rate doesn't seem to have improved when viewer 2 was introduced (on the contrary). If that was LL's plan, it was a pretty stupid one.

well said Linda ...... LL doesn't understand their own product at all, the strength of the second life concept is that it differs from other social networking platforms, here you can really interact with other avatars, create, do things and it is much more fun than just using twitter, FB or other 2D tools to communicate, simple as that. I really thought (like many did) that the new CEO was going to bring THE change in a way that he was going to use his background to boost second life again as it always has been designed for in the early days by Rosedale. Instead they seem to have choosen (again) another direction towards 2D networking, another (sigh) attempt to increase topline while they forget that their fix customerbase (the real second lifers) are left in the cold. Those last ones are the ones that generate cash for LL, but it seems (again) they forgot about this fact!

Quick analysis: the mainland is turning yellow (more and more land being abandonned), logins are further dropping, beautiful sims are closing their doors and most places are empty........is 2D networking the action to compensate this loss or is LL going to increase the tier prices sooner or later?

*meows*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.