TOS Question: how bad is it if someone leaks RL information?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i'm just curious. what if someone leaks RL information that they did not disclose themselves out in the public. also bashing this person in the RL sense?

what are the punshiments and what happens? would anyone like to tell me.?

(no i haven't had this happen to me or do someone like this i'm just curious)

Depending on the seriousness of the crime, fines to imprisonment. Security and privacy are very serious concerns in real life and there are several laws in place to protect both, plus harassment online can in many cases be treated as terrorism and extortion etc. Again, it would depend on the seriousness of the crime.

I am not saying that if your real life brother says your avatar is a stupid head he is going to prison. I am just saying just because it is an animated virtual reality doesn't mean that real persons, laws and repercussions aren't in place.

To add to what Roseysun has provided, keep in mind that LL has jurisdiction in Second Life and can suspend or ban, but when real life crimes of Privacy and Security Violations occur, or when real life crimes of Harassment and various other crimes are committed, it then falls into the jurisdiction of local City, State and or Federal Jurisdictions. No one even has to press charges for many of them. Security Threats are taken very seriously and if they are done online, you have just exposed everything about yourself, your system and your doings to anyone who needs access to that information to punish you to the fullest extent of the law and make an example of you. 

If it was serious enough and you can get a LL aware of it they will ban them.

Like say someone confided in me that they were gay in real life, or that they were playing as a female but were really male. If I went around telling everyone this person was gay or was really a guy and he didn't want others to know LL could ban me.

You can even get banned for discolosing someones alt.

An even more serious case would be if you knew persons real life name and address and were giving it out.

But in the end it is the internet, and the golden rule is unless you don't want everyone to know, don't tell anyone!

And if they have real life info about you that you have not disclosed with anyone then you need to contact LL for sure. Not just file an AR, contact them directly by phone or something.

LL are not the law although they could ban you from SL.

Telling the truth about anyone is not illegal unless you have signed a privacy contract.

even then its not illegal per se, (as in the case of Bradley Manning) but the US govt  appear to be able to do as they wish.

In theory you can sue or be sued under tort theory or libel for in world actions--just like in real life. In practice, it is again like real life--rarely worth the bother unless you are rich and famous. Use common sense. Be nice. That's all you can do.

• 4 weeks later...

can someone help me at all? my noe ex sl partner showed me an in she recieved tho she didnt paste the name but ALOT of my real life information was in it, age, rl namer, city i lived, and other things, but unfortunatly i did not copy the said texts from the main log where we was talking at the time, and i logged out, due to i do not save logs of any kind i am quite upset about this, do i have a right to disclose the names of the people inworld who i know without any doubts did this?

no, you only have to give LL an idea where to look, LL then can confirm it.  yes they aren't going to bother if you don't give them that much, but they have the actual records... without a where when what and how, they would just be going on a snipe hunt, and they aren't going to waste their time with that...

that's why I said "not exactly"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4600 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.