Do you install every new version of Viewer 2?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read so many threads where people complain about new versions.

I was one of those who had Preferences - Setup - Software updates - Install automatically. After I changed that to Download and install updates manually, I have a better SL experience. Less muttering and pulling my hair!

Well, now I use Firestorm, but I still have the official Viewer 2 installed. I see no reason to install a new version if the version I have works for me. Unless it is a new feature that i want to try. Nothing happens if I use a version that's not the latest.  

I would say with emphasis, NO (unless I had a spare computer somewhere besides my main computer, so that I could download every new version to that, just to try it out). I switched to Firestorm after a surprise update (done automatically) gave me a version I could not even manage to log in with. At the time, I wasn't sure what version I had that worked and couldn't find the place to download an older version, and I needed to get inworld quick. If Firestorm hadn't been so great in the graphics, I probably would have at least tried one of the newer 2.x versions ... but with Firestorm, I saw shadows for the first time ... that made me stick with it.

not unless it has something I want or need (new feature/fix), I've quit doing the beta thing too... just too much hassle.

I do save the installers for all the versions I install, so that I never have to worry about finding them again (although they are currently linked in the wiki)... I do that for all software.

my recommendation for any average user of any software is to only upgrade by need or want, and never "just because it's there"

Yes I have been updating every single time.  I didn't know I had an option to do otherwise as so many things are transferring in SL every day, I thought these were kind of security updates or get rid of de bugs updates due to so much transference, not to mention we have our banking info in here somewhere.  I'm very happy with the new V2 update; it has new tools and features; it's pretty cool.  I can't complain, and the prim readings are back.  I'm seeing shadows now, too, among other features, and I will keep updating, as I'm sure more features will be added.

The only thing I don't like about the updates is SL keeps resetting my preferences after update, so that is a bit of a frustration, as SL runs fine with my preferences set the way I have them or like them. 

Is this what is bothering you Marrianne, that you get reset to default settings and have to do your preferences all over again with V2? 

Just wondering?  But also wanted to add that yes V2 does now have some new features in this latest update so you might want to check that out. 

Oh security updates are mandatory, that's good to know.

Also wanted to add:  The shadows are NOT enabled in my V2 viewer yet.  I just purchased some items with shadows.  The shadow area option in my V2 preferences neither opens nor closes, it is just stationary with an inability to change it right now.  They could still be working on it as I tried to get a drop down menu on something that said shadows but I got no drop down menu, so that was my bad, unless shadows are somewhere else?... 

I always install the newest version of each viewer I have on my machine; LL Development Viewer (Snowstorm, updates almost daily), LL Mesh Beta Viewer, Firestorm (V2), KirstenLee's Viewer (V2), and Lance Corrimal's Dolphin Viewer (V2). I'm a sucker for new shiny and enjoy learning new software and playing with the new features like Mesh, real Shadows, web profiles and etc. It's also fun to dig into the debug settings to see what changes I can make to maybe make my SL more interesting and enjoyable. Having multiple viewers on my machine, each with their own cache folders, comes in handy if an update goes awry and one viewer or another develops a nasty crash for me.

Hi, I have to reset my preferences yes. Some preferences the update "remember" but some they don't. Turn on the advanced menu, bump LOD, check silent snapshot to disk, cancel camera restraints. Some versions remember this, some don't.  And then the inventory must load. 

The Viewer2 is good enough for me, I can't say it's harder to use than other viewers. But I got a surprise when I had an update that would not recognize my graphic card. As you Mayalily, the option for shadows is greyed out. I know how to open the advanced menu and the develop menu and turn on shadows from there, but that is greyed out too. I could do this before.

Yes, that's the perfect term, greyed out.  Yes, in v2, the area for shadows is currently greyed out.  I had bought some things with shadows attached and that's where that confusion came into play. 

I will write down in my notebook what Void is trying to say to do in the post above and check it out asap. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.