Secondlife crashed causing corrupted files?

Krzysztof Thibedeau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok so...A few days ago there was this annoying nooby who kept spamming a region with a lot of random blocks and I kept crashing. The faults it caused were 7 corrupted files, which includes: SLVoice, orpt.dll, libsndfile-1.dll, vivoxaol.dll, vivoxsdk.dll, winmm.dll, and zlib1.dll. I moved these into a different folder out of the SecondLifeViewer2 folder thinking it wouldnd't read tham anymore..BUT..for some reason, SL is still reading those corrupt files isntead of the newly created ones from a re-install I did. How do I remove these corrupt files, obviously the basic right click and delete doesn't work, is there another way? I don't know what the dll files do, but I can't use voice on Second Life, it says my voice is enabled but I can't choose the in and out going devices, it's greyed out, and the mic volume is greyed out, and to the right of the volume bar it's stuck on ''Please Wait'', and there is no white dot above my avatar. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2 answers to this question

A DLL is a dynamic library link............it's a Windows operating system component.  If a DLL is corrupted or damaged you need to replace the DLL with an undamaged file or delete it.  The problem is that DLL's are shared between various programs (such as the DLL for voice in SL may be shared with some other program).  You need to find which DLL's are damaged and search for them (Google works) and repair the damaged files.   You can start here to learn a little more about DLL's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic-link_library

First thing I would do is quit using SL until I fixed those files.  Uninstall it and search your computer for any files left after the uninstall and manually delete them.  Then go find those DLL's and reinstall them before you try to use SL again.  When you crashed your computer crashed (I mean your operatiing system crashed).  That's a little more serious than SL crashing (a program crashing will not take out system files like DLL's.........only files specific to SL might be damaged).  Once you get all your trouble fixed next time you see a griefing attack, TP away.  Your system got over whelmed enough that the operating system crashec......that's unusual but it happens.  Usually a marginally spec'd computer for SL are the computers that have system crashes when things get heavy like they sometimes do in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.