Why the forced upgrade?

Ray Lonergan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just tried Firestorm. Same issue, all I can think of is a feature they added in version 2.5 caused my issues. I have changed my DNS. And every other known suggestion with no luck. Whatever caused the issue is being used in third party as well it seems. So basically once the older versions are gone. So am I pretty much.

Vick Forcella wrote:

Two possible solutions.

V2 is now using HTTP, you can force it back to UDP somewhere... (not using V2 anymore)

Or your problem is unrelated to the viewer but is DNS related. Try and set another DNS.

Yeah I went to using Google DNS same luck.I sent logs ot Lindens by request.I keep thinking it has something to do with the web profile  thing they added in 2.5. That is when the whole issue started..And nothing has fixed it. They also had same issue with Mac users two months ago..It was fixed in an update for them.

Ray Lonergan wrote:

Vick Forcella wrote:

Two possible solutions.

V2 is now using HTTP, you can force it back to UDP somewhere... (not using V2 anymore)

Or your problem is unrelated to the viewer but is DNS related. Try and set another DNS.

Hmmm if anyone knows how to force it to the UDP I would love to see if that works.

Rolig Loon wrote:

If you're in a V2 viewer (LL's or Firestorm, probably Kirsten too....), go to Develop >> HTTP Textures and uncheck it.  Then relog.  That should do it.

AFAIK not only textures went from UDP to HTTP. Also the inventory crossed over. No idea where that setting is in V2.

by editing the user settings file (and either adding it to the profile specifc one, or modifying the basic template in the program directory, instruction vary based  on OS)

but that's no guarantee it will let you log in... generally if you can't log in the problem lies elswhere.

I don't think this is viewer related. It sounds like you have some sort of DNS or port issue. You may need to check the wikis for help it checking your router settings. As for a decent DNS server. I usually just use Google's because it's easy to remember. It's 8.8.8.8

Crim Mip wrote:

I don't think this is viewer related. It sounds like you have some sort of DNS or port issue. You may need to check the wikis for help it checking your router settings. As for a decent DNS server. I usually just use Google's because it's easy to remember. It's 8.8.8.8

Actually I do use Google DNS. I have tried others as well with the same outcome. I had this issue back when viewer 2 first came out. And a later version seemed to have fixed it. Well up till 2.5 was released. The early issue was before I had a router as well. Both my computer and router are set to Google DNS. Mac users had this issue a month ago which a patch was put out. I have no issues on anything else. I would assume that if there was some sort of DNS issue on my end. No version of viewer 2 would work. Yet most earlier versions worked with no problems.My only thought is something was added in that causes this on my computer. I posted on this before, and someone replied saying they have friends with the same issue  that just keep waiting till some version comes out that finally works. And I read another post that someone was getting this with Windows as well. So it seems it isn't just me. Maybe a small enough minority that it doesn't get noticed. Or most use third party viewers and just don't worry about it.

If it's a DNS issue, there are really only three places to look.  (1)  LL's servers are screwed up, which would show up in the grid reports and would affect a load of people at once. (2) Your ISP is messed up or doing maintenance that has taken their lines down (again, likely to affect more than just you, and not for long).  (3) It's something right there on your computer.  My bet's almost always on #3.

Generally, people have been having success when they

• Reboot the modem and router, and check to be sure that drivers are up to date.  If necessary, even replacing the router isn't a bad idea, since those don't last forever.
  • Do a manual clearing of cache and then reboot.
  • Setting new DNS values (Google DNS is handy and works well) also helps.

Most people who have done those things have resolved their DNS issues in SL, as far as I'm aware.

some ISPs can do weird caching of DNS, disobeying the standards. I haven't caught any US ISPs doing it myself, but I've seen reports of it. some routers can be set up in a similar fasion, which can be a problem if your router is provided by the ISP. technically you can do it on your computer too, although almost no users ever do, although a few viruses do redirects of commons addresses for various reasons (spread infection, cause you to visit certain attack site that will install other malware, or to disguise their phone home attempts from casual notice)

i cannot log on my PC i still get the "DNS could not resolve the host name", However i can log on withe the same version on my laptop, Both have the same Network settings (with a different IP of course) one other difference is that the Laptop is Wireless and the PC is wired, i have tried the Ipflush and i have tried using alternate DNS addresses.

Any more ideas?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.