New V2 and Profiles

Gryphon Ronas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I hate this update its lame with the social Network part like someone said before anyone can now read "your" wall and see what all your freinds are talking about......Secoundly profiles take so long to load now they just stay now as a grey square and do not load at all it is annoying but when they do load it is far and not os frequent as I would like.... if anyone wants the specs on my computer I would gladly share but for now This broswer is now bleh to me :( hope it gets fixed soon.

Mylar wrote:

... You can shut off the feed in the settings panel so people don't see it, and, more importantly, can't post to it. ...

THANK YOU!

Logging in with all my avatars and shutting that damned feed off now.

Is there any way to make it so I never see that feed on anyone ELSE'S profile page, too?

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Deletion works fine for me, I had been adding and deleting interests to peek at how the recommendations work.

Take yourself up to 20 of them and then try it - but with the last one in your list.

I've apparantly got a magic 8 of them that will not go away. Unfortunately one of them is something I only put in there as a test...

Can anyone explain why I see all that spam on my "Home" page? What determines whose spam chatter gets posted there? One of my alts that has no Interests recorded and virtually no "Friends" other than my own alts had a wall full of spam from strangers to him. WTF?

How can I turn that "Home" tab off completely? 

How can I turn off seeing the "Feed" instead of "About" as the default for everyone else's profile?

This is really bothering me from a privacy POV - I can see conversations among people I don't know just because one of them is on my friends list. I don't want to see those conversations. I've got to believe this is a violation of TOS in some way - I certainly don't want anyone seeing my conversations, and I don't want to see theirs! And I have not found a way to turn it off. I turned off mine in my settings, but I can still see the conversations of others.

Apparently the spam I had on that one alt was because of one person on my Friends list that loves the new shout/spam feature, and was using it a lot. I didn't remember ever Friending her with that account. I de-friended her from that account, as that alt really didn't even have any reason to be friends with her.

I finally found the completely hidden, doesn't show unless you mouseover the exact spot, tiny 'x' that allows you to 'hide' the spam you have already been hit with. Those past spam items don't go away even after you set the privacy setting for your own feed to Nobody.

Don't know yet if future spam will show on the home page if you turned your profile's feed option off. The page still shows, so it probably still will receive spam.

Canoro -- you miss the point.  Second Life IS already a social network.  SL is a system where you can socialize with people all over the world without physically moving.  it's a system where you can collaborate with friends and colleagues regardless of time zones, age, physically deformity, or distance. 

If SL worked a quarter as well as it should be working by now, nobody would even remember that facebook even existed.  "Facebook, oh yeah, that was that nonGraphical web forum thing that nobody used because everyone was in 3D worlds like Second Life by that time..." 

Now, surely a comm system we can use when we aren't inworld can be a useful thing.  But stuck into the profiles?  Do YOU hang out in your profile in order to chat with friends?  Is that how Facebook works?  Or in FB, do you log into the site and tada, you see all your friends' posts?  Once again LL has shown us that even though the viewer is busted and the grid problematic, it will waste time on a frivolous do-nothing addon rather than fix the critical problems.  And even that simple addon they'll utterly fail to get even remotely right.  Having a FBlike wall to write on - Good.  Having them stuck someplace where almost no user bothers to go instead of in a global website all can go to easily like chats.secondlife.com -- not just bad, but sad bad.

Another example of LL taking the sheet metal it was supposed to use to patch the hull of the ship, folding into an origami swan instead, and throwing it overboard to see if it would float.  It doesn't, and deeper into Davy Jones locker do we and all of SL continue to sink.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Deletion works fine for me, I had been adding and deleting interests to peek at how the recommendations work.

Take yourself up to 20 of them and then try it - but with the last one in your list.

I've apparantly got a magic 8 of them that will not go away. Unfortunately one of them is something I only put in there as a test...

Whatever bug you are experiencing, it is simply not affecting everybody. It would be good to take that straight to JIRA or support so they can look at the specifics of your setup and account.

Starbuck Hax wrote:

After upgrading to latest SL V2 on the the newest Macbook Pro using Lion, the profiles are broken again.  Had the problem before but it went away.  Now only get what looks likes links (underlined text) and no profile info.  

Any ideas?

Starbuck Hax

Judging by some other threads here, the problem seems to be: New Viewer + the Lion OS.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.