is it against TOS to reveal a erson's alts on your profile if they're using their alts to grief?

topazjay Wisent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

It's against TOS to reveal another person's alts (ETA: without their consent). Period.

ETA:

From the Community Standards:

4. Disclosure

Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed. Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

• Like 1

The Community Standards states in section 4:

1. Disclosure

Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed. Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

And TOS states in section 8.1:

You agree to abide by certain rules of conduct, including the Community Standards and other rules prohibiting illegal and other practices that Linden Lab deems harmful.

You agree to read and comply with the Community Standards posted on the applicable areas of the Websites.

So, the answer is yes. If someone griefs you block them and file an Abuse Report (link).

...Dres

• Like 1

Under TOS guidelines defamation of an avatar's character is limited to a "resident's race, ethnicity, gender,religion,sexual orientation." Of course, all of these categories are of the utmost importance, however, it has come to my attention that a resident,  who is contributing and substantially provides economic gains to the SL community,  but who suffers unfair character assassination from other residents for the sole purpose of destroying an SL business  through lies and slanted opinions on the avatar under attack, has NO  method of recourse to defend him/herself from the ill-meaning attacker. There is no  limit to the economic and emotional damage that is possible  under mean-spirited, and vile attacks perpetrated by someone who  publishes slanderous remarks and unfounded accusations in a profile designed to mimic the victim's profile. It seems to me that a more defined guideline needs to be added to the avatar name choice upon applying for an SL account, as some profiles are now appearing to differ minimally from existing profiles of previous accounts belonging to other  avatars ..the only difference being one letter in the name!   I cite the specific  accounts to which I am referring so that anyone may observe this flawed aspect of SL account and profile problem, which apparently is on the rise: checkout my friend's delema: foxhaven2000 Hecht, the original acount, (a year ago after a personal disagreement, my friend's enemy  adapted a "new" name and entered defamatory comments in a "new" profile...foxhaven2000 hechtt.The difference:ONE LETTER.

I have so much to say... But I better hold my tongue as I don't want to be BANNED... BUT... Trust me... NO ACCOUNTABILITY in SL.. ONLY ones worrying about all that TOS violations are those in SL doing shyt they ain't supposed to do or that is hurtful... Live it right noone will be able to make you look bad...But sadly in SL.. For MOST, THAT ain't the case, HENCE the TOS...   SO, skip all that TOS jabber get to the end  check that accept box and get your awkward butts in SL with all ya alts.. 

Edited by MissTauni
  • Thanks 1

@topazjay Wisent,

I'm sorry you're having griefing problems!  No, you should not name and shame alts in your Profile.  Save that for your Abuse Reports!

I should say, "suspected alts".  It's not possible for any of us residents to be 100% sure that Avatar B is an alt of Avatar A, although you might be fairly certain due to things they say, or the way they say them.

• Even if they tell you they're George's alt, they could be lying.
  • If you use one of the so-called "alt detection" systems, they are all subject to both false positives and false negatives.  In short, you can't rely on them
  • If someone tells you "Madelaine McMasters is Lindal Kidd's alt", THEY could be lying.  Or guessing.  Or simply wrong.

Abuse Report each griefing incident.  If you suspect a person is another person's alt, say so in your report, and reference any previous Abuse Reports you've submitted.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.