Missing parts on avatar!

Pika Wolfe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I recently came back to SL after a long break, and have ran into a problem with parts of my av not rendering correctly.

I use a furry AVentity shark avatar, and since i've came back and only in the default viewer 2, I lose the top part of my head. You can still see the "Shape" of it against other textures and the sea, so everything is being rendered, just invisible, but all that renders correctly is my eyes, lower jaw and tounge. it's pretty disturbing, honestly.

Everyone who is in the default Viewer 2 sees the issue, however everyone using other viewers sees everything render correctly.

Help please? D:

It happens, especially if you have been switching viewers between V2 and anything on the V1 codebase.  The quick solution is to rebuild your av.  Open Advanced (CTRL +Alt + D) >> Character >>  Character Test >> Test Male/Female (Or Develop (CTRL + Alt +Q) >> Avatar >> Character Tests >> Test Male/Female if you are on V2 or Firestorm).  That will replace your av with a fresh newbie, which you then repair by dropping your favorite shape, skin, and attachments onto it.  Or in your case, a clean copy of your shark av.  It doesn't take long, and it almost always works.

• 3 months later...

Thank you for this.

I've tried it repeatedly since seeing it suggested earlier with no luck. I have tried old skins in my inventory, and new skins freshly purchased. This started happening a few weeks ago, with no change to viewer or OS, on three different machines. I'm on an iMac, a Mac mini, and a Lenovo laptop with WinXP; and have tried SL2, Phoenix, and Firestorm, uninstalling (including cache and 'registry' entries) and reinstalling fresh each time.

Kinda getting tired of wearing burqas, so I'm hoping this'll trigger a solution idea. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Are you always using those three different machines at the same physical location?  That is, are they all plugged into the same router/modem?  I'm wondering whether you simply have a bad connection and are losing packets.  Try ..

(1) If you have been using wireless, don't.  Many people have bad luck using wireless in SL.  There's too much interference from garage door opens, cell phones, "Smart" appliances, and the guy next door generating RF interference with time warp experiments in his basement.  Use a cable connection instead.

(2) Reboot your router.  Just unplug it from the power for a few minutes while you go out for coffee.  Plug it back in and reboot your computer for good measure.

(3) Consider using different DNS settings.  Instead of whatever your ISP assigns, try using Google's free public DNS servers.  You'll find easy instructions for making the change at http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4563 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.