Can I use my webbrowser to send inworld IM's?

Valentino Dannitza

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

I sometimes chat with friends via e-mail using offline e-mail.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Instant_Message

there is an IM to Email feature, which sends offline messages directly to the mailbox connected to your account. To activate it, go to Edit > Preferences (or press Ctrl-P), go to the Communication tab and check the Send IM to Email checkbox. Press Apply and close the window with OK.

When an offline message is received via Email, this message can also be answered via Email again. These mails will be converted back to IM and sent to the right Resident. Note that the Email to IM feature expires 5 days after the receival of the IM. Messages sent afterwards won't be received anymore. Also note that the length of properly delivered Email replies is limited to 1023 bytes/single-byte characters. Messages exceeding this limited will be truncated to fit the limit.

Note that, replies to offline emails currently can't contain special unicode characters.

Also note that offline IMs are only retained for 31 days and discarded afterwards. For example, if someone sends you an Instant Message and the next time you login is 33 days later, you won't receive it.

There are currently three different basic ways you can access Second Life account profiles. There’s access via a Web-browser (through my.secondlife.com), access through the officially supported Second Life viewer 2.x (at least the later versions of it), and there’s the basic profile API that’s still used by viewers based on the 1.x series code-base, and earlier versions of Viewer 2.x.

For instance you can see your friend's web profile here: https://my.secondlife.com/fr/firstname.lastname 

You can see mine for example here: https://my.secondlife.com/fr/valerie.inshan

Under the "actions" choose IM.

ETA: Sorry, you stil have to launch SL. Forget about my answer. :smileymad:

You can not use the web browser to send IM's to residents. You can, however, answer IM's you receive as email notifications, and they will reach the right resident whenb you do. The caveat being that you can only reply to IM's, not start the IM conversation using email.

The other option is to use a textbased viewer on your PC or smartphone/tablet. These are viewers, which mean you have to log in to SL and will appear in world.

ETA. Basically what Ry0ta already said... :)

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.