Why why why?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good question.

Think merchants should use the same method the land people did?

Or maybe we can get clever and post in General with some semi-legit topic, but start with like... "So today I just finished making my latest product, the [insert name and link here], and I realized that the sky in SL changes color. What windlight settings do you like?

This is the best SL question I have ever heard! Yes why? (not).

-> THE <- most creative residents gets nuffin! =o.0= The very lifeblood of SL no less.. ^.^

In the meantime we all get bombarded with tacky yucky land ads. :-/ (smilie stolen from Lillie Woodells)

A vanity thread for creators would surely top the charts? (post counts).

i do think the land forum needs to be there but it does grate on me a bit how some estates seem to advertise or maybe it should be spam the same land at least once a day when they needn't if us merchants had a new product forum i can see it turning out just as bad or worse than the land forums but that doesn't mean the forum doesn't need somewhere to advertise new products

I could not agree with you more!  Actually, the Land Sales forum has always been a sore point for me especially when 5 of the 5 latest post are land sales.  (and of course there is that thing about how they went about getting there).  They are not threads and should not be listed as Recent Threads.

I think in large part, LL lets this go as it is what drives their economy but what about we merchants? Many of us own sims too and collectively, a lot of land.   We pay tiers too and our presence, not only drives the economy through our products but land sales too.

There are forums that went away when LL switched to the Jive forums, those are the ones before these ones, that should never have went away.

The Land forums were amongst them and landlords rightly fought to have them reinstated.

Classifieds and New Products should never have been removed, they are worthwhile forums.

I'm going to be the black sheep here by saying I don't think it's needed.

With the land ads, there's just one product type... land.  If there was a general "New Products" forum, is there really that much value in it being full of totally unrelated products one after the other?  How soon before your new product is 20 pages down the list?

I would expect it to be about the same as the "Featured Items" scrolling view in the mishmash of items that would be in it and products would soon get lost in noise.

Surely if you want exposure you pay for it under featured items or if it's more suited to a category, then a category landing page.

I could only see value where there were subforums for product categories but then i'm right back to my statement above about category landing pages.

Personally, I suspect it would be rather like my attempt to watch the group Fashcon which lasted about a day, during which every few minutes there'd be another group message of more clothes that I wasn't interested in.

I understand that it might be seen as an omission but don't forget that a forum would be free advertising and LL wants hands on the L$'s from the paid advertising :)

Tend to agree that it wouldn't be all that much of a boost to sales for the shopper, having a broad mix of products. Not that showcasing new products is a bad idea, but in forum format it would be messy and subject to gaming. (release 7 new colors, and get 7 forum posts for basically the same product, thereby increasing reports and moderation for instance).

It would be nice to get some more appeal to new products (a link to a new products RSS feed didn't quite manage that, previously, I know I never clicked on that link myself).

Perhaps if classifieds and/or Marketplace new listings were capable of thumbnails and web based and integrated with the forums it would have broad appeal to customers in a big mixed bag like that. It could certainly be nice if the interface was lighthearted and fun.

It would also be interesting to have a tab for New Products alongside the rest of them (Answers, Forums, Blogs, Knowledge Base, New Products).

Agree with the OP, the origin of the land forums because of some rather embarassing foot stomping wasn't one of our best moments in history, but these land ads could also be combined into a slicker presentation as well as products, thereby solving both issues. Noticed the occassional comments that sometimes people aren't pleased with land ad "spam", so with products you'd multiply that reaction.

Surely there are some creative ways to display these in a web based non Marketplace setting, although I don't know what that would be offhand.

What might also be nice is a WIP forum (work in progress) for community critique on products new or not yet released. That way people could have fun browsing the WIPs and it's a more interactive kind of atmosphere than just an ad and lets you actually engage with customers. Interest in the WIP could also be an indicator of interest in the product.

I agree it would be nice to have some way to keep up with certain designers. Currently I just hope they have an update group and join that. But it would also be nice to have a better way to find those "hidden gems". Some of my favorite designers I stumbled on by complete accident in some odd corner of SL, and found that they've been there for years.

Cause they want you to buy their ads!!!

All this time since they eliminated all our other options, LL has not introduced anything other worthwild options. We are left with either an enhancement, or a classified ad, both of which get little to no results.

How about this? The next time LL wants to eliminate something, they should implement it before they take the old stuff away. Right Now, we are basically left with NOTHING but failed LL promises and our profits are reflecting that.

OH, and LL, fix the inworld search results. Add back in Picks!

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Tend to agree that it wouldn't be all that much of a boost to sales for the shopper, having a broad mix of products. Not that showcasing new products is a bad idea, but in forum format it would be messy and subject to gaming. (release 7 new colors, and get 7 forum posts for basically the same product, thereby increasing reports and moderation for instance).

Restrict it to Piof and ban those who abuse it, third party forums manage such forum areas by having rules about them.

These forums should never have been done away with in the first place.

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

In stead of a new products forum I would rather like to have a 'follow this merchant'-button on the marketplace. People who push this button by free will, will be notified as soon as the merchant has uploaded new products to the marketplace.

Yes, I would like something like this also. The new Profiles for each resident might help a little, but there really needs to be a way for shoppers to subscribe to a merchant's feed. Groups inworld was never a good solution for this, as it is limited and still is today. It does not matter what the limit is. If there is a limit, then it is useless.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Personally, I suspect it would be rather like my attempt to watch the group Fashcon which lasted about a day, during which every few minutes there'd be another group message of more clothes that I wasn't interested in.

You really will have to start wearing clothes soon though Sassy, we have all asked you several times!!

Ciaran Laval wrote:

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Restrict it to Piof and ban those who abuse it, third party forums manage such forum areas by having rules about them.

Fair enough. I have to ask the big question ... did anyone see noticeable sales benefits from that forum?

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Fair enough. I have to ask the big question ... did anyone see noticeable sales benefits from that forum?

I made sales based on those forums, same with the old land rentals forum. I also got to know about products via those forums that I'd then go and look at.

There are advantages to systems people browse compared to systems people search.

Madeliefste Oh wrote:

In stead of a new products forum I would rather like to have a 'follow this merchant'-button on the marketplace. People who push this button by free will, will be notified as soon as the merchant has uploaded new products to the marketplace.

There is already a way to "Follow" a Merchant on SLM. For example, to get an RSS Feed of my new products, simply enter this URL into your favorite reader:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/feeds/search?search%5Bsort%5D=created_at_desc&search%5Bmature%5D=1&search%5Bstore_id%5D=28094

I'll leave it to the Forum Wonks to explain all the fields, but it works just fine. (Cerise, that means you. *wink*)

Ciaran Laval wrote:  Restrict it to Piof and ban those who abuse it, third party forums manage such forum areas by having rules about them.

I agree. (And was never aware of any problems with the old RA-era New Products subforum.

Interestingly, the current Guidelines mention such a subforum (probably because that verbiage hasn't been revised in the past three years or better.^_^)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.